Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:51 AM   #1
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute
Default what's your favorite mac and "cheeze" recipe?

Can you please share your favorite vegan macaroni and "cheeze" recipe?

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:49 AM   #2
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what's your favorite mac and "cheeze" recipe?

poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:12 PM   #3
lee472

1 Box Elbow Macaroni - prepared as directed (add 1 tsp oil and dash of salt to water for more flavor and looser noodles)
1 cup regular sour cream
1 large tbsp butter
1 block shredded, mild cheddar cheese
Extra salt and pepper (to taste)
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumb

Mix (well) all ingredients (except bread crumb) in baking dish coat mixture with breadcrumb bake at 375 covered for 35 minutes and then uncovered for 15 minutes. enjoy

My family really enjoys this and I'm sure your family will too.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
Marzipan
Deactivated

Marzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond repute

Did you mean non dairy?

I however, appreciate the last recipe. I'm just trying to move up from velveeta to actual cheese. Baby steps.
Marzipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

1 box pasta
1 block (12 oz) cheddar soy cheese, shredded
1 block tofu
1 T. soy margarine (opt)
1/4 c. soy/rice milk

Cook pasta. Blend tofu in food processor until smooth. Transfer to sauce pan and heat, stirring constantly, without boiling. Add cheese and combine. Add marg. to pasta before pouring sauce over pasta. Add milk. You could top with bread crumbs and bake if you wanted.

This is pretty good. I've made it with less cheese, and it needed salt. Hope you like it!

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:02 AM   #6
lee472

oops.... Sorry, i forgot I was on the Vegan forum. It's actually a great recipe with the exception of the dairy! (smirk-hahahah) Sorry again.
Signed...Newbie Lisa
Old 10-27-2005, 07:54 AM   #7
Piper2

Not that we "need" it at this point, but I'm to see if anybody has anything better than the boxed mac & "chreese" we tried once.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
threecubs
Rose Bouquet

Straight Ahead

threecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud of

I've been experimenting with cashew cream sauce. I wonder if you could add either a soy cheese of some kind, or maybe some nutitional yeast flakes? The cashew sauce is so rich and creamy...I bet it would be good that way! Here is a basic vegan cream sauce:

1 cup raw cashews (I soak them for a couple hours, but I don't think you need to)
3 cups water
2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tablespoon chickenlike seasoning and broth mix
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. celery salt

Place cashews in blender and add one cup of water. Blend until very, very smooth and creamy (a couple minutes at least...I let it go for quite a while). Add flour, salt, chickenlike seasoning, onion powder, and celery salt and contunue blending for a minute.. In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add cashew mixture to boiling water and stir constantly while bringing to a second boil. Remove from heat.

Then I would experiement and add the soy cheese or nutritional yeast flakes, or whatever you think you would like best. The sauce is really yummy! You could even take out the seasonings and try it plain first, then add to taste what you think is good. I hope this helps!

Kaleb-21, fully recovered from Medulloblastoma surgery (5-23-2014), chemo and radiation. Back in college doing what he loves! Praise God! My tender-hearted musician.
Bethany-19, my out-of-the-box, persistent individualist.
Ian-15, gamer extraordinaire, karate boy. My snuggler.
threecubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:48 AM   #9
Kyasmom
Rose Trellis

Kyasmom is a name known to allKyasmom is a name known to allKyasmom is a name known to allKyasmom is a name known to allKyasmom is a name known to allKyasmom is a name known to allKyasmom is a name known to all

Thank you so much for the cashew cream sauce. I didn't think I would find any creamy sauce that was casein AND soy free!!! I am very excited to try it!!!!
Kyasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:41 PM   #10
threecubs
Rose Bouquet

Straight Ahead

threecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud ofthreecubs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyasmom
Thank you so much for the cashew cream sauce. I didn't think I would find any creamy sauce that was casein AND soy free!!! I am very excited to try it!!!!
Oh, you're welcome! I hope you like it. I recently used it to make a "potato pot pie." I thought the sauce tasted a lot like pot-pie filling, so I made crust and filled it with sliced potatoes, carrots and peas, and about half of the sauce recipe. Everyone loved it!

Kaleb-21, fully recovered from Medulloblastoma surgery (5-23-2014), chemo and radiation. Back in college doing what he loves! Praise God! My tender-hearted musician.
Bethany-19, my out-of-the-box, persistent individualist.
Ian-15, gamer extraordinaire, karate boy. My snuggler.
threecubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:39 PM   #11
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't even going to look, because my ds is allergic to casein AND nutritional yeast so Mac N Cheese is really not an option. Maybe I'll try the cashews

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 02:00 PM   #12
Sara

You know what I think is really strange? At our HFS, they have boxes of macaroni and cheese. They have wheat-free (rice noodles, dairy cheese mix) and they have dairy-free (wheat noodles, dairy-free cheese mix) but they don't have wheat-free, dairy-free! That is so frustrating.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that frustration. We're not actually vegan, but we do avoid dairy due to allergies.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:19 PM   #13
Kyasmom
Rose Trellis

Kyasmom is a name known to allKyasmom is a name known to allKyasmom is a name known to allKyasmom is a name known to allKyasmom is a name known to allKyasmom is a name known to allKyasmom is a name known to all

Well, I made the cashew sauce last night - and ..... YUMMY YUMMY!!!! I made it with 1 1/2 T. potato starch since we are also gluten free and I didn't add the seasonings becuase I was going to wait and add them after trying it. Well, I ended up just adding quite a bit of salt and pepper and putting it on tinkyada rice fettuccine pasta. It was so good!!! Tasted like alfredo sauce (only better IMO because it wasn't as *buttery/ greasy* as that can be.)

Thanks again for the recipe! For those that want the cheesier taste - I bet adding some soy based vegan cheese substitute would work really well. We can't do soy, but it seems that the flavors would go well together!
Old 10-29-2005, 04:23 PM   #14
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so where do i get raw cashews? Are they expensive? Are they different from "Planter's" in the can?
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:21 AM   #15
Kyasmom
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by poleidopy
OK, so where do i get raw cashews? Are they expensive? Are they different from "Planter's" in the can?
We get ours from a food buying club I would check your local HFS.