Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #1
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Berkey

I'm thinking of getting a Berkey water free finally

I'm looking at the Big Berkey. How often do you need to change the filters? Does it use one filter at a time? Is water left on the counter for 2-3 days still safe to drink or is that taken care of in the filtration system?

Which Berkey do you have and are you happy with that one?

Tia!
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Berkey

Ours is one of the smaller ones. Your filters are good for 5-10 years and need cleaned once a month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
tazmom
Rose Garden

tazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Light. I like being able to see when it needs refilling.

We use it for the dogs, cooking, indoor plants, and drink a ton of water. I refill it about twice a day. I haven't replaced my black filters yet and we've had it 3 years. I have the fluoride filters also and those need to be replaced every year.

Wife to the car guy for 21 years
Mom to my kids
T - Fifteen
A - Thirteen
Z - Ten
tazmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:24 AM   #4
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the brand (being an Australian ) but I assume you are talking about a house water filter? We are looking into getting one of those in the next year.
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:08 AM   #5
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

We have the one that's a little less than 3 gallons. We've had it about 18 months and have not changed the filter yet. Cleaned it maybe 2-3 times, it needs to be cleaned again I think. I refill it every other day in the winter, every day in the summer.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:54 AM   #6
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

We have the Royal Berkey. I should probably clean the filters. I should probably look up how to clean the filters.

For our family of 6 using it for drinking water, a perpetual crockpot of chicken broth, making kombucha, and a decent amount of coffee, it's adequate, but I have to remember to refill it twice a day, which means it sometimes runs dry.

If you get the flouride filters, they need to be replaced every 6 months to a year, depending on how often you fill it.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
bananacake (01-31-2015), Hannah Elise (02-01-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 07:09 AM   #7
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute

We have the second to largest size. For the longest time we didn't have enough water and we would run out every night at dinner no matter how many times I refilled it throughout the day. Finally I convinced dh to try scrubbing the filters and now it works great. So just remember to scrub your filters when the flow slows down!
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dandelion For This Useful Post:
ReedleBeetle (01-31-2015), sweetpeasmommy (01-31-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

We have the light. We LOVE it! Everyone loves our water. My parents and sister both bought theirs because of ours. My parents have the....Big one? I think?

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
We have the second to largest size. For the longest time we didn't have enough water and we would run out every night at dinner no matter how many times I refilled it throughout the day. Finally I convinced dh to try scrubbing the filters and now it works great. So just remember to scrub your filters when the flow slows down!
How do you scrub yours?
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #10
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone, this is all very helpful
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:37 PM   #11
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How do you scrub yours?
Dh just used a clean scotch brite type pad. It took him about 10 minutes and solved a problem that had been going on 6 months or more
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
The Following User Says Thank You to Dandelion For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (10-25-2017)
Old 01-31-2015, 04:53 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I have the BIGGEST one. Well, not the one recommended for orhpangages but the second one down. I am so glad I have the big one. First, it's not plastic. Second, I fill it nightly. We use that much water. Drinking water, tea, cooking rice, making broth or other soups, we almost empty the whole thing every day. I think we have 2 filters. You can have one or lots. The more filters you have the faster it fills the lower tank.

You're supposed to clean it once a week (it's very fast) but I probably two mine twice a month. I've been using it this way for 2.5 years without problem.

The Berkey also alkalizes water naturally. The first house we lived in (the on you visited ) had very rusty, acidic water. The pH of the water was 5! After running it through the Berkey it was rust-free, delicious, and with a pH of 7.5

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

ETA I have the Royal Berkey.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Hannah Elise (02-01-2015), JoyGal (01-31-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
Dandelion
Rose Garden

I think we have the Imperial Berkey. We only use 2 filters.
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
The Following User Says Thank You to Dandelion For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #14
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you guys keep it? We don't have enough counter space and our counters are high and our cabinets are low

I worry about it getting tipped over. My husband hates the water here and has been buying bottled water. It is just so wasteful to me and I could put that money towards a Berkey instead.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

When we first got it, I used a small table that the top was about 15x15 and was about the height of an end table. Maybe just a tad higher. I think it was for plants or something. I bought it for $5 at the thrift store. It was functional, but not exactly what we would like to have had. I considered painting.

When my MIL was moving in, she was going to get rid of a table that was the same height, but a bit bigger with a drawer and a shelf under/in it. It has enough room to also keep a pitcher for filling it up. It sits on that in the corner of the dining room. I can reach it to fill glasses without getting up during dinner. The table is caddy-corner to decrease the chances of it getting knocked over.

At my mom's, she has an alcove next to the fridge just big enough for a microwave cart. She has hers on that, right next to the fridge.

Oh, I forgot that until we got the first little table it was on the end of the island. I didn't like that *at all*. Always afraid it would get knocked over and it took up a lot of space. It was also really high for refilling.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote