Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm looking for a basic muffin recipe

that I can add various things to dependant on my mood.

I've never made muffins before. Do I have to have muffin paper cases or can I make smaller ones in the little paper cake cases?

Anybody?

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Annainprogress
Rose Garden

Annainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm looking for a basic muffin recipe

You can def make them in "cake cases". Or just the bun trays lol.

I mostly use a victoria sponge/fairy cake recipe then add whatever, sometimes I use an Annabel Karmel toddler recipe (for pineapple & raisin muffins) then substitute bananas or whatever if I'm wanting to do fruit muffins. Can type up both if you want?

Wielder of the Palette Knife of Chocolaty Brownieness

rejoicing with those who have escaped abuse, and praying for those still trapped

Unite!

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei
Annainprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes please

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute

I make them in mini paper cases, fairy cake cases or muffin cases depending on what size I want. The recipe is the same.

I usually use equal quantities of flour, sugar and butter and half that quantity of eggs and tbsp of milk to mix then add whatever extras you want.

eg 6 oz flour, 6 oz sugar, 6 oz butter, 3 eggs, 3 tbps milk and a cup of chocolate chips.

For banana muffins I use a different recipe because of the difference in texture / softness with the bananas.

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

sounding a bit thick, what's the method for making them - i figure it's different from fairy cakes?

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Old 01-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Annainprogress
Rose Garden

Annainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond repute

If doing a recipe like Marrae's I just do it the same, cream butter & sugar, beat in eggs one at a time, fold in (s/r) flour plus extras. My recipe doesn't have the milk though. Put in whatever cases, bake at gas mark 4/350f/180c for around 15-20 mins for fairy cake size (until golden & when poked they spring back)

The Annabel Karmel recipe:

100g/4 oz plain flour
100g/4 oz plain wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
175 ml/6 fl oz vegetable oil
75g/3 oz caster sugar
2 eggs
125g/4 1/2 oz grated carrots
225g/8 oz (small tin) canned crushed pineapple, drained
100g/4 oz raisins

Preheat oven to 180c/350f/gas mark 4. Sift together the flours, baking powder, bicarb, spices and salt (I usually use 8 oz white s/r flour instead, adjust spices to taste & don't add the salt) and mix well. In a separate bowl beat the oil, sugar & eggs together until well-blended. Add the grated carrots, crushed pineapple and raisins (tbh I've never added the carrots either I don't think). Gradually add the flour mixture, beating just enough to combine all the ingredients.
Pour the batter into muffin trays lined with paper cases and baker for about 25 minutes or until golden. (these can be cooked in fairy-cake trays but you will need to reduce the choking time.) Cool on a wire rack.

rejoicing with those who have escaped abuse, and praying for those still trapped

Unite!

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei
Old 01-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Am I right in thinking that muffins and fairycakes are the same apart from how they're mixed?

I always thought that muffins were somehow healthier but if that's not the case, I might just make fairy cakes

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
Annainprogress
Rose Garden

The Annabel Karmel recipe is a bit healthier (less sugar, lots of fruit) but yeah afaik they're pretty much the same

(btw my usual adaptation for it, apart from what I already italicised, is to switch the pineapple & carrot for 3 bananas, and raisins for 240g blueberries, comes out denser than fairy cakes but oh so yummy. And six portions of fruit so if you make 12 then you eat 2 and that's a portion of fruit )

Unite!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Amy Dacyczyn has a "universal muffin recipe" in the Complete Tightwad gazette. It calls for things like liquid (then gives ideas for what kind of liquid), grain (then gives ideas including how to incorporate leftover oatmeal), etc. I would try to get ahold of that if you can. She also has a universal quiche and universal casserole in the same book.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

These are pretty good and an easy recipe to tweak. For instance, I usually use whole wheat pastry flour and sub coconut oil or butter for the canola oil. If you scroll around, you'll see a whole host of variations, and they all freeze pretty well so that you can make them in bulk.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

I have an old Pillsbury cookbook that has a basic muffin recipe, then has several suggestions for adding ingredients. Our favorite is a apple/cinnamon one. Nothing any healthier than cake LOL, but more convenient and less sweet than cupcakes or cakes and it smells good baking.

I love muffin paper cups, as cleaning a muffin pan is ridiculous IMO and difficult! They are pretty cheap, $1 for 70 of the store brand. I don't do the small ones because I haven't wanted to buy a pan that will hold the small ones, but one day I'll come across one at a rummage sale or something LOL.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute

Muffins can be as healthy or unhealthy as you want, up to a point. You can have healthier additions, like nuts or seeds instead of choc chips or sub the basic ingredients with healthier alternatives. For example, you can use whichever sort of flour you wish, you could sweeten with honey, maple syrup, agave or just use banana or apple puree to sweeten. The variations are as limitless as your imagination. I like to use bran in mine sometimes.

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote