Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #16
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthy muffin recipes for breakfast

What a great topic!

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #17
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

This may be a strange question but here goes.. how does a recipe constitute low sugar? Less than x number of grams per serving? Most of my recipes are for large groups so it looks like a lot of sugar ..but when making 4 or 5 dozen it may be less than it looks. Any info on this topic easily available?
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #18
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by momyshaver View Post
This may be a strange question but here goes.. how does a recipe constitute low sugar? Less than x number of grams per serving? Most of my recipes are for large groups so it looks like a lot of sugar ..but when making 4 or 5 dozen it may be less than it looks. Any info on this topic easily available?
1 tsp white sugar has roughly 4 grams of sugar. So one cup of sugar [48 teaspoons] has 192 grams of sugar.

Ex: If you make 1 dozen muffins with 1 cup of sugar, each muffin has 16 grams of sugar, or 4 teaspoons.

I'd consider a recipe with less than 4 grams (1tsp) of white sugar per serving to be "low sugar". I'm more relaxed about honey, maple syrup, and blackstrap molasses, so maybe twice that for those.
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jandjmommy For This Useful Post:
momyshaver (10-16-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #19
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjmommy View Post
I was trying to make gf banana muffins once and was so distracted I forgot the sugar and the egg. Used all rice flour, plus a couple teaspoons ground flax seed.
They tasted great! simplyrecipes.com has a good general banana muffin recipe.

I think flax seed is sometimes used as a vegan sub for egg.

Since then, I purposefully make banana muffins (any type flour) without sugar or eggs and no one has noticed.

Still tons of natural sugar from the bananas, but unless the muffin is savory, it needs some sweetness.
Banana is also used as an egg substitute.

I make these an awful lot. They have some sugar in them - they are not terribly sweet - but they I suppose you could cut back more.

Breakfast Cookies
Oven: 375
Prep: 10 min
Bake: 10 min

¼ c butter/coconut oil/margarine
½ c sugar
¾ c pureed white beans
1 egg
¾ c whole wheat pastry flour
½ c oats
1/3 c wheat or oat bran
½ t baking soda
¼ t baking powder
¼ t salt
½ t cinnamon
1/8 t – ¼ t cloves
½ c raisins or dried fruit – optional

- cream butter and sugar
- add beans and egg
- mix dry ingredients together, whisk to combine
- add dry ingredients to butter mixture
- drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheet
- bake 10 minutes. Or until browned.
- when cool, can be made into sandwich cookies with cream cheese or nut butter
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
jandjmommy (10-15-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 12:55 AM   #21
Guardandolaluna

:
Old 10-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #22
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

I uploaded the overnight raisin bran muffin recipe to SparkPeople.
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...e=1845684&ff=1

I was suprised to see the nutritional information and I would like to add more fiber next time...maybe I will use whole grain flour and add nuts and/or flaxseed. And of course I will adjust the recipe accordingly so I can see how that amps the nutritional ante. Yay for awareness...but I have 4 doz. of these bran muffins to work through first.

edited version
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...recipe=1845752

Last edited by momyshaver; 10-16-2011 at 12:42 PM.
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to momyshaver For This Useful Post:
Marrae (10-18-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #23
Housekat
Rose Garden

Even if you can't see them or hear them at all, a person's a person, no matter how small!

Housekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond repute

Find me on Facebook

Housekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #24
4thekids
Deactivated

Just me! Simple me! Wild me! A little bit crazy me!

4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute

This is for a scone not a muffin but I saw this on Dr. Oz yesterday and thought of you. I haven't tried it yet because all my baking stuff is already packed but thought I'd post anyways. They're vegan and gluten free. http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/jenni...-walnut-scones
4thekids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4thekids For This Useful Post:
Marrae (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #25
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Would you be interested in just a basic muffin recipe that you can tweak to your own specifications? I've got one that I don't make as is anymore, but rather the variations. If I've got leftover oatmeal, for instance, in it goes to a muffin. Same with rice, barley, etc. yesterday I turned it into pumpkin muffins with a couple of additions.

bbl with recipe . . . . .

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
charla (10-18-2011), Marrae (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #26
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

I'm back.

Basic Muffins

1/4 c oil
1 egg
1 c milk
1/4 - 1/2 c sugar
1/2 t salt
1 T baking powder
2 c flour
flavoring to taste

Mix wet ingredients together. Mix dry ingredients together. Combine the two, mixing as little as possible. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, depending on size of muffin.

I generally use whole wheat pastry flour, coconut oil or canola oil, organic eggs, milk, and sugar and either a liquid extract (e.g. vanilla) or powdered (e.g. cinnamon). They work just as well dairy-free or with dairy. (I like coconut milk.) You can add in 1 cup or so of leftover cooked grains (oatmeal, rice, barley, etc.), reducing the flour by 1/4 - 1/2 cup and milk a bit so that it's not too wet. Pureed beans, lentils, and other veggies make nice additions as well. I've made these with pureed squashes, green peas, and beets, too. All the baking powder means it will usually rise just fine.

Pumpkin Muffins:
use 1/2 c brown sugar in place of white
reduce milk to 3/4 c
use 1 t cinnamon, 1/4 t freshly ground nutmeg

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

And today I turned this basic recipe into apple cider baked donuts:

simmer 2 tart apples (I like gala) in 2 c apple cider, reducing to 1 c applesaucy liquid. Use in place of milk.
Add 1/4 c wheat germ, cinnamon
toss in cinnamon-sugar while still hot

Makes about 36 mini donuts

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
charla (10-18-2011), Marrae (10-18-2011), Vicki_T (04-13-2013)
Old 10-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #27
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute

I'll need to try some of those recipes soon.

Does anyone else find that with a lot of banana in the muffin the paper case sticks really badly and the muffin won't come out properly? I don't have the problem with banana bread, just muffins. Maybe you don't use paper muffin cases but do they come out of the tin ok???

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #28
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to make muffins regularly, I've found the silicone muffin holders worth the investment. No stick, even when doing little crustless quiche egg muffins. Otherwise, I'd just try to grease the pan really well.

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

jujubnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #29
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to look up a few..

I tend to modify recipes that look yummy, by substituting sugar with applesauce, and then adding some ground flax seed or oat bran til the consistency is right. Whole wheat or ground oatmeal flour instead of white flour. Add a few nuts and seeds.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:58 AM   #30
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrae View Post
I'll need to try some of those recipes soon.

Does anyone else find that with a lot of banana in the muffin the paper case sticks really badly and the muffin won't come out properly? I don't have the problem with banana bread, just muffins. Maybe you don't use paper muffin cases but do they come out of the tin ok???
Yeah, bananas are sticky! I've found that whole grain baked goods tend to stick a little more than white flour foods, especially if they are at all overbaked. I use the paper liners - they are pretty, and make taking muffins to people nicer, and just because I abhor scrubbing the muffin pans! But they are not necessary. Greasing the pan really well will suffice. If you have sticking problems, grease the pan and then flour it or use the Pam for Baking (the spray with oil and flour in it). Solid shortening works the best for me.