Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #121
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

So almonds would be a low-carb food then. gotcha.

We're off of bread and pasta. I've also been avoiding rice (we only ever cook short-grain brown rice, but I just assumed it was carby). Is that enough to be considered a low carb diet?

what about these? http://mysmartfoods.com/
They're called "naked oats" - whole grain oats without a hull. They were developed in Manitoba (our neighbouring province ) and called "rice of the prairies". 62g carbs per 100g serving.
nutrition analysis: http://mysmartfoods.com/index.php?op...=89&Itemid=159

but it only compares it to white rice

I just bought some...like, the DAY before we decided to go low-carb. so we haven't tried it yet.
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #122
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiina View Post
Sherri - the food processor I have is this tiny thing I got for a wedding present. I almost gave it away, actually, because it looked like a made-in-china-piece-of-useless-cowpoop. I couldn't believe it worked to make these larabars...I was fully expecting to have to scrape everything out and chop it by hand.
It might be worth it to spend the thirty bucks on a cheapy. Food processors are big bucks, iirc.
Yeah, I was looking at them in Target. I got a KitchenAid mixer from a friend , but that darn food processor is mega-bucks! I guess I'll have to go for the Black and Decker.
The Following User Says Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (05-05-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #123
staceylayne
Rose Garden

Hopeful.

staceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has been really helpful to me.

I like the idea of taking baby steps and making small changes. That's kind of what we've been doing the last five years or so. If you compare our meals now to our meals then you'd see a big difference. But we're still probably "SAD-lite".

I'm feeling like we need to go whole-hog crazy and do something like the Whole30 challenge in order to determine what effect (if any) certain food categories have on our health and general well-being. So if we detox off sugar, grains, dairy and soy then add it back slowly we'll be able to see how they make us feel. Also, I (for one) need to push a "reset" button and relearn what real, nutritious food tastes like and learn to crave stuff that is good for my body. *I'm* the one in our household that will always turn to toast and pasta and cereal when I'm hungry...even with a kitchen full of fruits, veggies and nuts (which is what I offer the children for snacks).

I don't think I'm ready to commit to never having cheese or bagels (or asiago cheese bagels, yum!) again, but it would be nice to know for sure that if I eat x food then I will get y undesirable result. Then at least I can make more informed choices about my diet.

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Oh, and Katigre, it sounds like you are doing great! I would eat to fullness and not force it. You are listening to you body and offering it wonderful, nutritious foods. If it is helpful at all...I've never gained more than 20 lbs from my starting weight during my 41-42 week pregnancies. Each time I've been terribly sick the first 15-20 weeks and lost weight despite my best efforts, and then gained slowly but surely the remaining weeks.

My mw, despite setting a 30-35 lbs as my goal weight gain, never stressed out about it and always reminded me that the baby was getting the best of everything. My babies were 8lb 7oz, 9lb 2oz and 7lb 6oz (she seemed so tiny after a 9 pounder!). All very healthy and happy.

(I know that is just one anecdote, but hopefully an encouraging one?)

Joyful momma to:

B - 7.5, my pensive planner
D - 5.5, my spunky sunshine
C - 3.5, my cuddly cutie

And baby girl A, born April 28!
Why, yes, I am ENFP

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:17-18
staceylayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #124
princesspoet
Rose Trellis

Soft kitty/ warm kitty/little ball of fur/happy kitty/sleepy kitty / purr purr purr :-)

princesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond repute

as usual i'm learning lots on gcm.

lately, i've been looking at cutting out processed foods. I dont know what counts as we mostly cook from scratch. we eat baked beans from a tin occasionally and we bake a lot! so i'm guessing the flour as we use unrefined sugar.

i make my own stock. we recently in the last 2 months switched to organic dairy.

i dont think i could cut out grains or baking completely.

I love bread soooo much so I will really struggle. I suppose I'm just looking for ways to increase the good stuff while still having all the food groups. I'll admit that when i went dairy free for DS, my waistline thanked me.

any book you'd recommend for my requirements?

sorry i'm NAKing

In love & in life with my sixth form sweetheart
Mum to
8.5 year old DS1 ~ E
5 year old DS2 ~ L
Currently growing ~ a girl due in June

princesspoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #125
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommychem View Post
While we are processing , would it be wise to buy a food processor. Every time I see dates, I want to buy them for lara bars or another sweet treat, then I think no processor.

crunchymum - I need to slow down a bit too wrt funds. I've been using our income tax reserves (in savings) to pay for the additional costs. It won't last forever. I'm not all or nothing but I don't like to feel like a hypocrite either, kwim?
a cheap blender or processor should work. if you're blending dried fruit it helps to soak it if you can.

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (05-05-2012), mommychem (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #126
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

I our food processor and use it all the time - even moreso now that we're doing more paleo. I use it to make smoothies (we don't have a blender) and have done so for years. I use it to blend dates to make desserts, I use it to grate vegetables (love the attachment for that - I could easily make spaghetti 'noodles' out of various veggies if I wanted), etc...

Definitely my favorite kitchen gadget . Look for them used at garage sales by KitchenAid or Cuisenart with a 9-12 cup capacity.

```````````````````````````
So yesterday's experiment with overly stuffing myself with excessive paleo food is not something I'll repeat . My stomach was so sore by the end of the day from being over filled. I will try to do the more moderate route of adding 1-2 additional high fat items each day and see what my weight looks like in 3 weeks. I also am trying to do the self-talk with my body that it needs to gain weight and should hold onto fat/calories and not burn them off - I have found that self-talk with other things (labor, anxiety) makes a difference so why not metabolism. At the least it won't hurt anything .
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-05-2012), Mamaka (05-05-2012), Stiina (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #127
euromom
Rose Garden

euromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant future

Oh wow, I woke up with so much energy this morning I didn't almost even recognize myself. I have had *some* grains this week but very few and far betwn and only something from ds's gf cupboard when I did.

Our problem on the money side is that in my ideal world I would buy everything from the farmer's market or local farms and well, we honestly don't have money for that We are actually on a $20-$30 grocery budget a week, and get the rest of our food from a food pantry that gives us huge boxes of gf foods for ds, all the grains that are no no's on these diets but we *need* to feed our children right now something. To replace those with more meats, fruits, veggies etc... would mean no gas at the end of the month or a bill doesn't get paid. I will have a part time job starting this fall but until then we have nothing to invest anything above or extra. I use the budget we have to buy bones, veggies for soup or fermenting, some milk and cheeses, eggs of course...but beyond that I can't get any extra's that would go towards all these yummy recipes that would replace grains we take out of the kids diet.

gf pasta's are more expensive but i agree you could try replacing some of that with the other pasta and making it a special occasion thing, maybe stashing it somewhere where they can't see it so they don't always know it's there or think about it?
mommy to my HBAC blessing dd- 01/10!

euromom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to euromom For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #128
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Katigre, can you add butter/coconut oil to almost everything? Butter candy? The rest of the plan sounds awesome. Self talk is ALWAYS helpful IMO

Jen, we weren't able to tolerate broccoli slaw at first and lots of people struggle with broccoli slaw cuz the stems are so tough (super heavy fiber that our bodies aren't used to). Did you eat raw? Some people find things like that have to be cooked at first when making a change like this - your body isn't used to the high concentration of fats/meats/veg. The transition onto the diet can cause a few bumps in the digestive road but when it evens out you will probably feel better.

AFA how to proceed, I just don't have an answer. For our family, we've struggled for the past 7 months with .5 income (DH has been underemployed or unemployed. I have had a few part time jobs and an internship). BUT we've made it somehow - God's grace, food stamps, and a lot of grit. AND we just felt like there was no way that we could go back to how life was before our diet change. Our lives are SO SO SO much better than they used to be. THe cost has been high and difficult. I won't sugar coat it. I've slept less this winter than I have ever in my adult life. I am SO busy that I have a huge amount of stress in my life. To make ends meet, I have taken an extra burden of stress. Yet we haven't really "felt" the stress. It's really been a breeze IRT stress level NONE of us have had massive problems/meltdowns If I look at my life last year (not crazy like this), our life this year is so much more pleasant.

Oops. . . sorry to start droning. I don't think you should make a financial decision you and your dh aren't convicted by. When dh was laid off last november, we'd already been on gaps 5 months and I was freaked out by the idea of going off. We prayed, considered, and we BOTH AGREED to stick with it.

Still loving ELAD. It's also making my children more willing to help in the kitchen cuz we had a long talk about why we don't have "treats" and I told them I am too exhausted from the rest of our life and just putting meals on the table so they are willing to do the work themselves

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
euromom (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #129
musicmama
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

musicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been able to make lara bars (uh, we make them a LOT, we LOVE them with walnuts the best because they have so much oil (and cashews, too almonds are more dry) so it tastes like uncooked brownie batter, especially if you use special dark cocoa, lol! And we always add a generous dash of salt ) in a small food processor. I maybe bought one at costco and it started smoking so I took it back

THESE ARE THE BEST COOKIES EVER!! Paleo, gluten laden, SAD....best cookies EVER for ANY reason or diet! I sub coconut oil for grapeseed because I never have it , and this last time I added an extra TBSP of oil and 1/4 cup of applesauce instead of agave (so they were sugar free except for whatever sugar was in my dark chocolate) and they were AMAAAAAAAAAAZING!!!!!!

http://www.elanaspantry.com/dairy-fr...-chip-cookies/

I also made these for my Thirty-One party. DEEEEEEEEELICIOUS!!!! I sed regular shredded unsweetened coconut (I found at Kroger in the baking aisle) and they turned out fine, made exactly 8, too! And they're HUGE.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-coconut-macaroons/
mama to my long-awaited miracle Sophia 11/06
and her sweet beanie sister Chelsea 8/10

Creative Genius behind Sophiecat Creations

She is clothed with
strength and dignity
and laughs without fear
of the future.
Proverbs 31:25

musicmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to musicmama For This Useful Post:
euromom (05-05-2012), Katigre (05-05-2012), Stiina (05-05-2012), teamommy (05-12-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #130
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again, ladies, it helps to talk this stuff out!

Trish, yeah, I'm not even close to being able to get organic, pastured, etc. In my perfect world, too.

Jodi, I think that's a big part of it - dh thus far hasn't *complained*, per se, but I don't think he's very committed. he's the kind of guy that, well, if I tastes good and doesn't inconvenience him in anyway, he'll go for it. Otherwise, . That's how we landed at McDonald's this morning on our way to a meeting he had. I just had coffee and ate the egg and sausage out of a mcmuffin. it's annoying though, because it's expensive and that could have gone to groceries. baby steps!!!

The broccoli was raw, and you're probably right. I feel a bit better today. Though I do think something homonal is going on and making me gain weight in my middle, despite exercising and eating better. I should do the leptin reset, probably.

Last night I also got really stuffed up and had a runny nose - this morning it's a lot better but still a little stuffy, could that be a "flu like" symptom of die off? I haven't had any friend sugar except a bit of dark chocolate in the trail mix I made.

It's interesting, when I had to cut out stuff for the yeast issues I had during pregnancy, I remember it being sooooo hard. I craved sugar big time. This time? It's not been an issue! I'm a little perplexed, but I'll take it!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
euromom (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #131
musicmama
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

musicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond repute

it's the first time EVER I didn't crave sugar! If I "wanted something sweet" which wasn't even a craving, really, more habit...I made lara bars.

My husband had a sammich 2 days in a row and that's the end of THAT. it's not as convenient, but he feels SO MUCH BETTER doing this. Nevermind that he's the same size as when I met him (he's down to 168lbs and wearing a size 34, hasn't done that in 12 years!). He likes eating 3 eggs plus bacon and a iece of fruit for breakfast and then not feeling hungry until lunch and then not even snacky usually. He has struggled with me through a million different diets, but this one really clicks for him. if we could workout someplace that would be even better, baby steps for us, too! I can't buy anything organic or grassfed but we do the best with what we can, you know?

The lady that started the Whole30 said sometimes it can take a few months for hormones to balance and I should start losing weight again after that. That might explain the extreme sweating I have going on right now. I literally have to change my shirt at least once a day and pull my hair off my neck, too. I have 4 fans going between the kitchen and living room (2 ceiling fans and 2 floor fans) and I'm STILL HOT and sweating.

And after Matt's birthday tomorrow (going to make Elana's vanilla cupcakes) I'm going honey free again. I just do better without any sweetener most days and now I've been eating honey every day this week.

She is clothed with
strength and dignity
and laughs without fear
of the future.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #132
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

That's awesome, Sara!!!

So cool about your dh... My dh hasn't stopped eating fast food or other junk at all, though, so he doesn't have a chance to see how great he feels. dietary changes are a very touchy subject, so there's not much I can do about that. he moans and groans about not being in shape and how I need I help him, but he never takes my advice and doesn't want to put forth effort.

Maybe once his young, hot wife starts running circles around him, he'll jump on board.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria

Last edited by crunchymum; 05-05-2012 at 09:34 AM.
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
euromom (05-05-2012), Soliloquy (05-05-2012), Stiina (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #133
musicmama
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Dietary changes were like that for me

She is clothed with
strength and dignity
and laughs without fear
of the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to musicmama For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #134
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Sonshine Mama: Butter candy recipe please? If it can be coconut oil that's etter since I still try to be dairy light given my kids sensitivities (and I'd like DD to be able to have it too).

Food Processor - small ones will burn out the motor quickly. YOu need a larger capacity one whose motor is built to last .
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
mommychem (05-05-2012), Stiina (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #135
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthemanna View Post
a cheap blender or processor should work. if you're blending dried fruit it helps to soak it if you can.
Thanks! I'll need to try with my blender. It's a little weird though (got it from same friend who gave us the mixer). It is a West Bend that is supposed to come with two bases - one for making smoothies, and the other for blending. Well, friend only had the smoothie base so I've been leary about using it for anything other than that. I once ruined the gasket on a blender trying to make hummus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
I our food processor and use it all the time - even moreso now that we're doing more paleo. I use it to make smoothies (we don't have a blender) and have done so for years. I use it to blend dates to make desserts, I use it to grate vegetables (love the attachment for that - I could easily make spaghetti 'noodles' out of various veggies if I wanted), etc...

Definitely my favorite kitchen gadget . Look for them used at garage sales by KitchenAid or Cuisenart with a 9-12 cup capacity.

```````````````````````````
So yesterday's experiment with overly stuffing myself with excessive paleo food is not something I'll repeat . My stomach was so sore by the end of the day from being over filled. I will try to do the more moderate route of adding 1-2 additional high fat items each day and see what my weight looks like in 3 weeks. I also am trying to do the self-talk with my body that it needs to gain weight and should hold onto fat/calories and not burn them off - I have found that self-talk with other things (labor, anxiety) makes a difference so why not metabolism. At the least it won't hurt anything .
Garage sales - great idea! The mixer was one of their wedding gifts; it's 20 years old. Runs beautifully. Or pawn shop . The friend who has given us these small appliances owns one .