Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
solatido
Rose Trellis

solatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transition to his own bed- rail or not?

It's a twin sized bed on a low frame (like 4" or so), so the bed is no higher than our couch. He has napped on the couch many times without falling off. Actually, once he flopped over to the edge and his legs went off. He actually woke up enough to get off the couch and laid down on the floor and slept some more

So I padded the floor on either side of his bed with blankets and pillows (safe for a 2.5 yo, yes??) and tucked his blanket between mattress and boxspring to help him stay in place a little better.

We do have a rail, but I'd rather not use it if it isn't needed. Anyone else skip the rail with their toddler?

Last night he started crying after 5 hours of sleep, 4 of which were in his own bed (DH read him to sleep and then needed to snuggle him for a while ). By the time I got my pregnant butt out of bed, he was halfway to our room so I have no idea if he fell out or not. And at this point we are just going to have him do the first sleep cycle in his own bed. We aren't in a rush with this, just want to start the process.
solatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
amyjoy
Climbing Rose

amyjoy has a reputation beyond reputeamyjoy has a reputation beyond reputeamyjoy has a reputation beyond reputeamyjoy has a reputation beyond reputeamyjoy has a reputation beyond reputeamyjoy has a reputation beyond reputeamyjoy has a reputation beyond reputeamyjoy has a reputation beyond reputeamyjoy has a reputation beyond reputeamyjoy has a reputation beyond reputeamyjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transition to his own bed- rail or not?

I would skip it.
solatido (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Calee
Deactivated

Calee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond repute

We never used a rail. I would (and did obviously!) skip it.
Calee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calee For This Useful Post:
solatido (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
LovinBeingMommy
Rose Garden

The many faces of Monkey

LovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

No rail here. Monkey's fallen a couple time, but doesn't seem bothered. Doesn't even cry. He lands on a folded blanket. He comes to me when he wakes up, too. He's sleeping longer and longer, so I figure eventually he'll stay all night.

Most definitely INFJ

Be my friend?!
(Just let me know you're a GCM )
LovinBeingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LovinBeingMommy For This Useful Post:
solatido (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
MercyInDisguise
Rose Garden

The only way we'll last forever is broken together

MercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond repute

I would skip it if he naps on the couch without falling out. C flails all over the place and flies out of the bed every 5 seconds if we don't have a rail for him, so he will probably take one to college with him.
Mama to
A 20 months
a little one who will only ever know heaven 8/1/13
MercyInDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MercyInDisguise For This Useful Post:
solatido (04-10-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
Waterlogged
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

grace is for mamas too

Waterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond repute

K was a flailer, and we dealt with it by having just the twin mattress pushed into a corner. For awhile, her crib was like a third side (we weren't sure if the big girl bed thing was going to work). At some point, we put her mattress on a frame. She fell out once, poor thing, and hit her head on her easel. So we took away the box spring so it wasn't as high. Now, at 3, I don't think it matters. This has all been since August.
Waterlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Waterlogged For This Useful Post:
solatido (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #7
PaperMomma
Rose Garden

PaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond repute

No rail. My kids both moved to a twin around 13 months with no rail.

Momma to
"Sister" 5yo
"Scoomer" 3yo
PaperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperMomma For This Useful Post:
solatido (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

Bed in the corner, pillows stacked around her, just because Dressy likes small spaces. And when we moved, we couldn't get the box spring for her bed down the stairs, so it's just the top mattress on the floor.

Oh yes, and she comes into our room in the middle of the night sometimes and snuggles right in.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
solatido (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
solatido
Rose Trellis

solatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond repute

He didn't fall out last night! I think we are good without the rail!! Now I will just have to teach him to crawl between DH and me and stay there (for after the baby arrives)

We did not have a very long stretch because he was coughing though- poor guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to solatido For This Useful Post:
gpsings (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't use a rail, because we wanted them to know they could come to us if they got scared. We lined the hallway to our bedroom with nitelights. Usually they would come sleep with us during the middle of the night, but after a while we were able to transition them with 'incentives' to stay in their own bed, but getting up with them and tucking them back in with kisses and another prayer.
HTH!

Sorry, didn't read your last post! I'm glad you had a good night, and hope he feels better!

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpsings For This Useful Post:
solatido (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

We're finally getting S a twin bed in a few weeks.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hey mommy For This Useful Post:
solatido (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
solatido
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey mommy View Post
We're finally getting S a twin bed in a few weeks.
Awesome! I have enjoyed getting ready for bed with lights ON quite a lot. And not stressing about how loudly DH brushes his teeth.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by solatido View Post
Awesome! I have enjoyed getting ready for bed with lights ON quite a lot. And not stressing about how loudly DH brushes his teeth.
Oh, he's in his own room. Has been since we moved her last summer. He's just been sleeping in a toddler bed, or more recently, a small toddler couch on the floor.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hey mommy For This Useful Post:
solatido (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
Rugayatu
Climbing Rose

Rugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond repute

We also did not use a rail but I did stick a pool noodle (those long foam ones) underneath her fitted sheet, right by the edge of the bed to help prevent her from rolling out. It was easy for her to get in/out over it but still gave some measure of protection. I took it off after about a month with no issues.
mama to sweet and spunky DD ~ 9/2/09
squishy and serene DS ~ 1/12/14
and my angel baby ~ 1/8/2008

"The work we do is only our love for Jesus in action."
~Mother Theresa
Rugayatu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rugayatu For This Useful Post:
hey mommy (04-11-2012), solatido (04-11-2012)