Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

thankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud of
Default I need help with food ideas

Our 9 year old recenlty had some food sensitivity testing and 3 things came back high and we were told to eliminate those 3 foods for 3 mths and we'd check then how it's going...and this week we saw a dermatologist becasue she has perioral pustule dermatitis and that doctor told us to avoid trigger foods like tomato and spices. The three things from the food sensitivity test were wheat, sunflower and peanut butter...and now we knock out tomato and spicey food. We've been eating the same foods for several weeks now and my dd is having a little anxiety issues over food. Literally all of her favorite foods she can't have and I know it's just food...but it's been hard on her. Having to take food everywhere we go and to all her events is becoming a challenge. I had a post awhile back about the food sensitiviy tests when that happened but now with the new trigger foods I'm struggling. Sunflower is in everything!

Now, the reason we did the food testing was to see if it made a difference with her face...and her diet change made no change there...we were shocked when the peanut and sunflower came back high...she ate those things a lot! She never had a stomach ache, headache...nothing after eating it.

We've been eating a lot of rice, potatoes, veggies and beans and fruit...which aren't bad...but she misses her burritos, lentil tacos, lasagna, pb&j's, chocolate milk, etc that used to be high on the menu each week. We haven't found a torttilla that holds together or tastes good and the wow butter is okay, but she says it just isn't peanut butter...and it doesnt make her smoothies or bananas taste good.

This is partly my fault...most all of our favorite foods are spicy and I just don't know how to replace the spice and make them still taste good. Mexican dishes especially....
Old 04-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need help with food ideas

Having to go without is hard. I wouldn't try too hard to look for subs but try and find new foods she likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-13-2016), thankfulheart (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Has she tried Almond butter? My son couldn't eat peanuts for awhile (and might have to go that route again soon) and that was our fall back.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
melissa5317 (05-16-2016), thankfulheart (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

thankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud of

All of the almond butter in our stores have sunflower oil and sunflower is out. :/ I need to make drive to see if we can get some fresh ground somewhere. We're pretty rural so all we have is Walmart and Kroger.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I can't have tomatoes (among other things). It's hard. I do make a roasted bell pepper sauce for pasta and I can have it on pizza, too.

Can you grind other nuts yourself? We can make nut butters in our Blendtec. It takes awhile but it does work.

You can make tacos with lettuce as the taco shell. If you buy the baby Romaine lettuce (Costco has it, and probably other places, too) they make perfect little tacos. Then if you put rice and beans in (among other things) then they are filling and good. I make salsa from peaches or mangoes (I know you said she can't have spicy, but a salsa made from peaches or mangoes, diced bell pepper, salt, and a squirt of lime juice is good even not spicy).

I make Mexican "fried" rice and that is a hit here. Just make fried rice but instead of the more Chinese stuff, put in chopped bell peppers, cooked beans (I use black and pinto), and frozen corn. You can use fresh cilantro, too, and other fun things like squirt a lime on top, add some mashed avocado, etc. It's good even not spicy.

You can make your own chocolate nut milk (just use cashews or almonds) if you have a good blender. I bet chocolate would make her smoothies taste better, too, even without pb. I love chocolate smoothies!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
thankfulheart (04-21-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

We found some almond butter with palm oil in it. Dd is eating it, but reluctantly. She is very vocal about NOT eating palm oil because of the impact on the environment and animals. She is hoping that when they draw her blood next month she will be allowed to have her peanut butter back. I told her not to get her hopes up....but I do hope so too!

I tried blending cashews up for nut butter once and I thought the blender would burn up. I hate buying the fresh ground at the store it's so expensive! Mom gave me a ninja for Christmas, I will try that. I'm not sure it's powerful enough to do nut butters. We did end up making some cashew milk and it did okay. I need to get something to strain it with if I ever do it again.
We found a brand of milk that she can have though so it's more convenient. So Delicious is just almonds and water! No sunflower! It's really good milk too.

We tried the suggestions for tacos...very good! Thank you!

We've tried a few new recipes...it's hard having to avoid so many things..but we're figuring it out.