Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
happylizzz
Rose Bouquet
I support GCM!

happylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to all
Default Babywearing and strollers

If you wear your baby all the time... do you really need a stroller? I feel like this is a dumb question... but honestly!

I can't know for certain if my baby will even enjoy being worn (but I'm loading up on a variety of wraps to encourage it!!), but I don't want to get one of those travel systems if I don't need it.

I guess I could kind of take that approach with just about anything baby... you just don't know... so keep the receipts?
happylizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation
Default Re: Babywearing and strollers

I used my stroller to carry all the stuff I didn't have as much room for on me because I was carrying the baby. Also handy for diaper changes if there wasn't anywhere else to put the baby down. Also handy because my fourth isn't into being worn like her older sisters were.

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bonnie For This Useful Post:
breezy88 (04-26-2011), gpsings (05-22-2011), milkmaidmama (04-26-2011), rjy9343 (05-28-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
magpiedpiper
Rose Bush

magpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of light

We had a cheap secondhand one with dd, and I don't think we used it even once the first year since I wore her so much. But when she got older and much heavier (she's 40 lbs at 27 mos) we definitely used a stroller for long outings. So eventually a stroller may be useful even if it isn't at first.
rjy9343 (05-28-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think babies need strollers. I've never used one with my babies, only my big kids. Even now that I have my third baby I still only use a stroller with my biggers. I actually think leaving a baby in a bucket seat is very bad for babies, can cause attachment issues, neck and head issues, etc... I have only left my current baby in the bucket once in almost 5 months and I have a 4 and 2 year old also.

I suggest a stand alone infant carseat and then transition to a convertible around six months.

Besides those travel systems have terrible wheels and they are yucky. I much prefer a high end stroller and would rather spend my money on that than on a stroller.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
happylizzz (04-26-2011), KarenBoo (04-26-2011), luvinmama (04-26-2011), Mokek Kwe (04-27-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I only used our stroller for the older children I couldn't carry and were too little to walk and keep up. I really don't think Sage has ever been in one at all.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
happylizzz
Rose Bouquet
I support GCM!

happylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to allhappylizzz is a name known to all

FTR - I haven't actually bought a single thing for baby. I'm just a planner!!
happylizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation

Wanted to add...for a first baby, I wouldn't get one of those travel systems. I'd spring for one of those somewhere-between-a-full-stroller-and-an-umbrella-stroller models. Like a sturdier umbrella stroller with a reclineable seat, but not nearly as bulky as the others. Just my preference. Lighter and easier to mess with while carrying a baby.

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bonnie For This Useful Post:
amyjoy (04-26-2011), happylizzz (04-26-2011), Leen (04-26-2011), notjustashley (05-25-2011), ReedleBeetle (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Calee
Deactivated

Calee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't really use the stroller with my second infant-I was much more into babywearing then. The only thing I used was a double to take them both on long walks, but that was once he could sit up decently well.

I have an umbrella stroller that I use sometime now that he is older. I also used it for my older DS when DS2 was an infant and I was wearing him. I still wear DS2 sometimes, but sometimes the stroller is easier, depending on where we are/what we are doing.
Calee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
Atarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tTurnLeft View Post
I don't think babies need strollers. I've never used one with my babies, only my big kids. Even now that I have my third baby I still only use a stroller with my biggers. I actually think leaving a baby in a bucket seat is very bad for babies, can cause attachment issues, neck and head issues, etc... I have only left my current baby in the bucket once in almost 5 months and I have a 4 and 2 year old also.

I suggest a stand alone infant carseat and then transition to a convertible around six months.

Besides those travel systems have terrible wheels and they are yucky. I much prefer a high end stroller and would rather spend my money on that than on a stroller.

That

Never had a stroller of any kind with ds.

Currently have a jogging stroller for dd that I use when I go running - can't baby wear then. Didn't start using it until she was @ 8 months, because they just aren't designed for little babies. If I'm just going for a walk, I almost always still babywear because the stroller is a beast.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
happylizzz (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
cro
Rose Garden

cro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond repute

You don't *need* a stroller, but they can come in handy at times. #3 was only in a stroller when I needed her to be safely contained off of me - like at dr's appts.
E ~ born in America 12/08/08; natural bio miracle
cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
RubySlippers
Deactivated

There's no place like home.

RubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond repute

How's your back? If you're not prone to issues and can carry for extended time (sometimes hours) with an ever growing child, then you don't need a stroller.
My back can't take that. I use carriers and strollers.
RubySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RubySlippers For This Useful Post:
SamRose (04-27-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
LoveIsGentle
Rose Garden

LoveIsGentle has disabled reputation

I think travel systems are pretty worthless, honestly, but I do like my stroller(s). I'd skip over the travel system and look for a good quality stroller with good wheels.

It's handy to have a stroller, IMO, for days when you (or baby) don't feel like babywearing, or it's just impractical. I first realized a stroller would be handy when trying to shop for clothes post-partum. Taking a baby on and off every time I went to try something on was a PAIN. The stroller was so much easier then.
LoveIsGentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

We had a hand-me-down travel system (the stroller part was hand-me-down, we bought a new car seat ), and I think we used it *maybe* once (just to say we did ). It was a trick and a half to sort out how to use (though that might be b/c we had no directions ), and it took up just about *all* the trunk space. We got rid of it when we moved, and I'm glad no money was spent on it . (FWIW, our plan was to get no stroller unless/until we needed one.)

Mom got us a nice umbrella-plus sort of stroller (like a pp mentioned) at some point b/c she likes to have a stroller around for toddlers/stuff, and that's been nice to have for long trips (particularly for carrying stuff ). We've used it at the zoo and walking downtown Chicago. At the zoo A alternates b/w stroller, walking, and being worn in the Ergo, and really the stroller is mostly needed for stuff (and with proper planning we could easily do without it). But in Chicago A (21mo) was mostly in the Ergo and R and her same-aged cousin (newly 4yo) alternated riding as they got tired - the stroller was a *lifesaver* there, for both kids and stuff . Oh, and we had it at Disney World when R was 2.5yo and A was 6wks - A never used it (worn/carried the whole time), but it was nice for stuff and when R was tired (esp when we were leaving). But we went to Universal when R was 3mo, and didn't take (or need) a stroller - R just rode in the Ergo, and dh carried the backpack w/ baby stuff - it was nice not having to fuss with a stroller .

All that to say, I never used a stroller until they were strong walkers, and even then just for long outings. And while I like having one, I'm not sure I'd have bought one if Mom hadn't .

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
JenLovie
Deactivated

You win when you choose health. MWWR

JenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond repute

I second (third/fourth) not getting a travel system. We use our stroller regularly since DS isn't a lover of being worn most of the time. If you are interested in getting one I recommend going to Babies R Us and trying a bunch out to see what you like and then watching Craigslist/Consignment Shops/Consignment Sales for a used one if you can find what you want. We registered for an umbrella stroller that turned out to be too small to be comfortable for me (the handles were too low and my feet hit it when I walked).
JenLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JenLovie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
Waterlogged
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

grace is for mamas too

Waterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we use both. I often had a carrier in the basket of the stroller.

I also wouldn't get a travel system - figure out what you think your stroller needs are going to be, and then get a stroller for that purpose. We have a jogging stroller for in the neighborhood/park, and a lightweight umbrella stroller for the mall. I had a double when I was watching my friend's baby, and I had a stroller with a full recline for when K was a baby...
Waterlogged is offline   Reply With Quote