Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Giving blood - I'm having issues - experienced donors chime in!

I want to donate blood. I have type O negative, so I figure it's something good I can do.

I went in December and it was kind of uncomfortable. The tech said my veins were small and the blood came out really slow. But I was able to donate.

I just went for the second time. Got the same tech. It really hurt this time and he kept moving it to get it to flow better and finally he gave up. He said I'd already given a certain amount so I couldn't try the other arm and I had to wait the standard 8 weeks to come back. He said the same thing about my veins being small. And then he said I should tell them next time what happened and he'd have one of the more experienced people work with me.

I'm so sore! I want to make this work, but I feel pretty crappy.

I've never had anyone complain about my veins when I give blood samples. I usually don't look at the needle, but I did this time and it seemed HUGE.

Can anyone give me tips for doing this successfully? Can they use a smaller needle? I was a little taken aback at how little the guy explained what was going on to me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving blood - I'm having issues - experienced donors chime in!

I donate blood and donated plasma throughout college.

They should be able to use a smaller needle. That’s what they have to do for me (for plasma).

Can you request a different nurse/worker insert the needle next time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (04-15-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Also, make sure you are well hydrated. Start at least 3 days before donation.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (04-15-2018), MercyInDisguise (04-12-2018), Virginia (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #4
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

The advice I've been given includes drinking lots of water before and eating a good protein meal that morning. Being well hydrated is especially important.

Sadly this has never resulted in a completed donation, as my veins shut down when I try. I've tried three times. Like you I never have trouble with blood work, it's usually easy to get a good spot for a draw.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
Virginia (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you make appointments? If not, I'd make one anyway, and request someone experienced with "small veins" even if you don't think you have them.

And yes, be VERY hydrated.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

By the way, my husband is transfusion dependent. He'd be dead 20 times over without blood donors so I thank you from the bottom of my heart for trying.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (04-12-2018), HadassahSukkot (04-15-2018), lavenlove (05-17-2018), Little Forest (04-12-2018), Quiteria (04-15-2018), Virginia (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 01:54 AM   #6
Reva
Rose Trellis

Reva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond repute

Hydration is key to make your veins pop and stand out better.

Sadly, the needle has to big to ensure the blood doesn’t hemolyze, so it doesn’t clot in the tubing, etc. It’s very large. I’m not sure if they can do anything about that. I work in a blood bank, and while we’re not a collection site, we do therapeutic phlebotomies where we use the same blood bag the Red Cross uses with needle attached to draw a unit of blood off of people with hemochromatosis. I always feel so bad sticking people with that huge needle. We do have a smaller needle we can use if we have to though, since we draw the unit off and throw it away. (It Can’t be used for donation.)

I would absolutely inform them the next time that you’re a bit harder to stick and that you would prefer a more experienced person to draw it. All said in a nice way, of course.

Thank you for donating! We’re entering into the summer season, and that is when we get all kinds of notices at work about the blood shortages.
Forever missing my sweet R (HLHS) and the baby we never got to meet.
Reva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reva For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-19-2018), HadassahSukkot (04-15-2018), Virginia (04-12-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
Jeanette598
Rose Trellis

Jeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to behold

I have small veins too. Sometimes the Heartland employee looks at them and grimaces. But it usually works out and I've successfully given blood many times over the years.

If someone seems especially nervous about your small veins, I would ask if a supervisor could do the draw instead. I've had people decide on their own that they would prefer a more experienced person to start my draw, or sometimes they try once and then if they're unsuccessful they get someone else. My impression is that there's often someone on duty who is the designated expert for situations like this.

I agree about staying hydrated--and starting to drink extra water a few days in advance.
M, our much-loved dd #1, born 8/03 (C-section)
B, our long-awaited dd #2, born 11/28/08 (natural VBAC)
Jeanette598 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeanette598 For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-19-2018), HadassahSukkot (04-15-2018), Quiteria (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
OnlyBelieve
Rose Garden

OnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to the above, is there so where else you can donate? Some places require more training.
Mother to ds, JJ (July 2001), dd, AJ (July 2004), dd, F (March 2014) and three (m/c) I hope to hold in Heaven (1997 - 10 weeks, 1998 - 13 weeks, 2002 - 11 weeks)
OnlyBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OnlyBelieve For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-19-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyBelieve View Post
In addition to the above, is there so where else you can donate? Some places require more training.
My mom suggested this, but this is the only permanent place that is in my area. Unless you can do it at hospitals. But the blood bank has a website and this is it unless I want to drive far away.

The 2 other ladies he indicated should do it next time were busy watching The Biggest Catch and didn't even glance our way when it seemed obvious things weren't going well. So I'm not sure I have confidence in them either.

Maybe I will try to find a new place. I guess I could drive into the big city every two months and maybe treat myself while I'm there. It's just not as convenient

Old 04-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #10
derdsgirl
Rose Trellis

derdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for donating. My children have needed blood donations as well and one of those children is O-.

Besides hydration and finding a better trained center (which is something , one thing you can do AFTER the donation to help prevent bruising is to put firm pressure on the site for 5 minutes immediately after they remove the needle. It seems so counterintuitive that firm pressure prevents bruising, but I have seen it work dozens of times for my kids. I'm not even sure why, I just know that a nurse told us once, we did it, and we were amazed. Now, if they fiddle with the needle to find a vein, sometimes that bruises no matter what, but mostly, pressure helps prevent bruising and pain afterwords.
derdsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derdsgirl For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-19-2018), heartofjoy (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #11
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by derdsgirl View Post
Thank you for donating. My children have needed blood donations as well and one of those children is O-.

Besides hydration and finding a better trained center (which is something , one thing you can do AFTER the donation to help prevent bruising is to put firm pressure on the site for 5 minutes immediately after they remove the needle. It seems so counterintuitive that firm pressure prevents bruising, but I have seen it work dozens of times for my kids. I'm not even sure why, I just know that a nurse told us once, we did it, and we were amazed. Now, if they fiddle with the needle to find a vein, sometimes that bruises no matter what, but mostly, pressure helps prevent bruising and pain afterwords.
I did use pressure and then ice packs and did not bruise even though I had dull pain for 2 days.

Thanks everyone for encouraging me to keep trying. I really want to make it work!