Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink My garden transformation before and after *PICS*

I apologize for being pic heavy ...But this may be the project I am the most proud of, of anything I've ever done. I am thrilled with how far this has come in such a short time!!

This picture is actually quite an "after" in it's own right. Last summer we tore down a giant deck and the rest of the summer was spent on indoor projects with bits of effort to haul off the last of the deck debris. So pretty much the yard went wild... rogue tomatoes plants and pumpkins took over Everything and left a major mess of vines, seeds, and tray in their wake. Imagine a huge giant embarrassing mountain of vines with trash and deck debris and yard waste: that was the before. This was after a Saturday working with DH hauling stuff out and another Saturday if DH digging and leveling and building this lovely raised bed. 0 of remaining deck debris which was piled where the garden bed is in the picture

This was after 4 straight days of my digging and leveling out the yard with a shovel and rake- all on my lonesome! 0

And then seeding it

Then I spent a few hours scrubbing down the gross green fence and dug up a 6x5 (6"deep) patio bed for the hammock to sit in the shade and laid 16 flagstone pavers...
You can see the clean fence and patio in process in the background

It still needs gravel put in, but this gives you the idea...

And here it is in the past few days...
The white post on the right side of the picture was a fence that was attached to the base of the deck (which was also built around the trees that have also been taken down) this gives you an idea if how huge the old deck was. The patio pictured, my Mom and I put down about half last summer and the rest I've also finished this spring. It not perfect but that thing was a bad word to put down I just finished weeding it right after I took this- too bad...

And I also weeded and rediscovered these stepping stones that were put here by the previous owner- they work great by our garden!

And here is the view from the hammock: grin

I cannot believe all the things and skills this yard has taught me. I think the biggest thing being that I love to work out doors.

My current project is the front half of the yard. J pulled out a giant ivy bed back in May
I got all the ivy off to yard waste

But now I need to dig up the entire area (it's taken over with plantains. ) and we're going to take down the pitiful lilac bush (snowy hurricane damaged it almost 3years ago and we took a shoot off and replanted against the fence and it's doing well. Anyway we're going to dig up that whole area (15 feet of it) level it out perfectly, plant a flower bed in a circle about 17foot radius and put an above ground pool (the temporary kind) up in the summers next year. Also thinking about putting up with chicken wire stakes a tall lattice fence with a gate around the area to baby proof the pool,l or we'll be gating that entire area of the yard (might be simpler...) . But that's next spring. just keeping up with the Cucumbers and weeding will do for how.

oh eta a side by side fir the wow factor.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.

Last edited by ValiantJoy07; 07-22-2014 at 06:46 PM.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Blue-EyedLady (07-22-2014), HuggaBuggaMommy (07-23-2014), Lady Grey (07-23-2014), MrsDuck (07-23-2014), MrsHutch (07-22-2014), Pearl In Oyster (07-23-2014), PlateauMama (07-23-2014), Rivendell Raven (07-23-2014), WanderingJuniper (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My garden transformation before and after *PICS*

I love it!!! What an awesome job, and it looks like a great place to play and relax!
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
ValiantJoy07 (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
SouthPaw
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

SouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, beautiful job!
SouthPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SouthPaw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHutch View Post
I love it!!! What an awesome job, and it looks like a great place to play and relax!
Thank you. It is heaven. After really never ever having a safe fenced in yard as a parent, it is just a treat to be able to let the kids (and toddler!) loose back there with out worrying about what they're doing (within reason ) or if they're okay. I can cook dinner and see them while I work, and they chalk up the patio, play in the sprinkler, dig in the sand box pretty contentedly. we also hope to add Somme sort of swing and climbing structure onto the back if the garage next year.... we'll see what DH can get done. I am not the mathematical "measure and use power tools to cut" so I am, not exactly sure how, hut we're planning on a club house on top of that small roof coming off the brick building in the back (the garage)
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Old 07-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, nice work! And is your house as huge as it looks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! What a difference. I love it now!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddles View Post
Wow, nice work! And is your house as huge as it looks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
probably not, it's a twin. a big twin- the half with the upstairs bedroom porch is the other half. We have 3 stories, 3 bay windows, 2.5 bathrooms, 4 moderate-to-big bedrooms and a finished basement, on a double lot. We share it with my Mom(she owns) and it fits our family if 6 perfectly with room to have people stay and not feel suffocated.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Oh and to encourage myself I will post my progress in the front half of the yard.

We don't have any of the original ivy bed, it was kind of a hot mess'. Our Westie isn't a barker thankfully, but he would give off one call at one corner of the fence and then race in a circle around the bed of ivy and give one call at the other corner. You can see his path from google maps satellite. that was "barney's yard" and we've left it alone.

But every morning this week I've spent about 2 hours (while I let the kids muck in the sprinkler and dirt) weeding and it's been slow going and discouraging.

This is the before actually this was 2 months ago... the weeds and gras in the brick was evvenjn worse!

This was after 3 days of weeding.

And I spent a long time this morning digging up the evil ivy vines and trying to get the ground broken so I can rake it nicely and plant a bunch of wild flowers fir the rest of the summer. Next spring I'll dig it all out again, remove the likc tree and prepare for the pool.

Our front gate: I weeded out there too, that was completely green and grassy before ingot my hands on it.

Last edited by ValiantJoy07; 07-23-2014 at 02:14 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
squiddles (07-23-2014), WanderingJuniper (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Looks amazing!

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

That's a fair bit of work you've done. It looks really nice and welcoming to be in now.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

Gorgeous!
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #11
silverlining
Deactivated

silverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant future

Looks great!
silverlining is offline   Reply With Quote