Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #16
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WIC Stew

You can get sweet potatoes, but not white potatoes. They're not a particularly healthy food. Out of all the white potatoes, fingerling are the most expensive, and the most nutritious. Reds are a decent second. Russet are the worst. They've been bred to be nearly all starch, and will not work well in this recipe. Well, they'll work, but they'll mash themselves. Golds will work.

Seth gets spooned yogurt. Other than that, he feeds himself, and has since he first discovered the wonder of "carpet crunchies" left behind by his siblings, my cue that it was time to consider meals.

His developmental ped even requested that I stick with letting him fingerfeed, no matter how big a mess he makes of it, as it's just better for his brain and motor skills. Buy a tarp. Take the high chair outside to hose off. But let him play with his food, please.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Another note on this stew. Samantha eats it, but takes exception sometimes to the carrots and radishes. (And sometimes eats them just fine. She's weird.) Anyway, I set a saucer next to her bowl, and let her put the bits she doesn't want into that saucer. And we both just refill Seth's high chair tray from that saucer, as they're nicely cooled by the time he's ready for more. When I don't provide a saucer, she doesn't eat as much, and will politely abandon her bowl before she's full, attempting to avoid the bits she doesn't want.

Last edited by Rabbit; 04-02-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
abh5e8 (04-02-2010), curlymopmom (04-02-2010), raining_kisses (04-02-2010), thomer (04-02-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #17
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

awesome tips!

you know, i've never cooked radishes before what are they like cooked? i've kinda always thought of them as cucumbers: crunchy and raw.
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #18
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
You can get sweet potatoes, but not white potatoes.
we can get ANY produce

Oh and you inspired me to share my favorite wic recipe

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things

Last edited by Heather Micaela; 04-02-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #19
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Each state has slightly different WIC rules.

Radishes cooked are kinda like carrots in texture. Cooking's not their best use, because they lose their pretty color. Parsnips or turnips would probably be better, but I buy radishes for my salads, and this uses up the greens, and the extra radishes I can't eat in a week.

Kale is a great soup green.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #20
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

Quote:

Radishes cooked are kinda like carrots in texture. Cooking's not their best use, because they lose their pretty color. Parsnips or turnips would probably be better, but I buy radishes for my salads, and this uses up the greens, and the extra radishes I can't eat in a week.

I didn't know you could cook radishes...may have to try that...maybe I like kale good enough in soup, though...

edited to add...in Indiana you are not able to purchase potatoes on WIC, either. I wish we could, lol.
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #21
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Actually I stand corrected - apparantly potatoes are the ONLY restricted veggie. I thought I had bought some w/ wic before, but I guess it was just at the same time I was using wic.

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #22
CrunchySeaSalt
Rose Trellis

Fighting APD and hoping to win soon!

CrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond repute

You are SOOOO lucky! I adore V-8 and they won't let us have it here in my area.

Totally agree with the kale as a soup additive...the only way I can eat it..... and I KNOW that it is fabulous for you
CrunchySeaSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #23
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

I had not thought of using V8 juice in a soup or stew. It sounds like a lot of sodium, but perhaps it would still work with low sodium V8.

I used a can of black beans that I got free as part of a "meal deal" at a groc store to make black bean hummus and the canned black beans I got had corn and red bell peppers and onion in it along with seasoning and I just added some tahini, lemon juice, a clove of garlic and cayenne pepper and ground cumin and threw it in the vitamix and blended it and it was great (I took it to work along with a bag of chips this morning and it took less than 5 min. to prepare it.).
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #24
CrunchySeaSalt
Rose Trellis

Fighting APD and hoping to win soon!

CrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond repute

Yum to the hummus too
CrunchySeaSalt is offline   Reply With Quote