Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Beverages *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 11-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best hot chocolate mix recipes, please...

'Tis the season...

And Swiss Miss just won't do.
Please share your hot cocoa recipes.
Happy Holidays to you!
ncsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best hot chocolate mix recipes, please...

One dark chocolate hershey bar, one cup half and half. Melt together and add milk to taste.

Go to williams sonoma and spend half your food budget on their hot chocolate mix.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
Blue Savannah (11-09-2010), ncsweetpea (11-10-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute

The best hot cocoa I've ever had was made with goats milk.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
summertimeshine

Yum!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

subbing
Blue Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
graceandmercy
Rose Trellis

The best way to hold a child is in your heart!

graceandmercy has a brilliant futuregraceandmercy has a brilliant futuregraceandmercy has a brilliant futuregraceandmercy has a brilliant futuregraceandmercy has a brilliant futuregraceandmercy has a brilliant futuregraceandmercy has a brilliant futuregraceandmercy has a brilliant futuregraceandmercy has a brilliant futuregraceandmercy has a brilliant futuregraceandmercy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Savannah View Post
subbing
subbing too! Hopefully some non dairy ones will be suggested too!

mamma to my many 's that are now with Jesus

embarking on our new surrogacy journey in 2012

SAHM, co-sleeping, non-vax, home learners/unschooling, learning to live with severe food allergies

While I know myself to be a creation of God, I am obligated to remember and realize that everything and everyone else is also God's creation.
graceandmercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

<----- Don't mind if I do.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
ncsweetpea (11-28-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

I've got Marielle's recipe for cocoa blocks. You need to do it in advance, but oh baby!! They're so fabulous, and they work as a chocolate fix if the need arises. and with a new baby on the way (I'm sure the need will arise!)

1/2 cup heavy cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk, 14oz
3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (or you can use bars)
3/4 cup unsweetened baking chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 hefty pinches of kosher salt

unsweetened cocoa powder

First prep the pan, you'll need an 8x8" pan. I line mine with foil that I then butter and the easiest way I've found to mold foil for a pan is to use the pan as the mold. Just flip the pan over upside down.
Smush a sheet of foil over the pan molding it over the corners.
Remove the foil, flip the pan over and insert your molded foil. Smush the corners to fit then butter heavily.
In a medium sauce pan mix your condensed milk and heavy cream. Heat over low heat until the mixture is steaming but not boiling. Once the milk mixture is heated, remove from the burner and add the chocolate. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. The chocolate will begin to melt.
Give it a stir and if there are unmelted pieces of chocolate place over low heat and stir to finish melting. At first it will look separated . But after melting completely it will look like this delicious pot of chocolate. Now is the time to flavor.
My flavorings of choice. Homemade vanilla and kosher salt since I've never had hot cocoa without salt to add balance to the sweetness. Stir it in.
Spread the mixture into your buttered pan. Set it aside and let it set overnight. Once set the mixture will have a matte surface and be firm yet easy to slice
Lift the square of chocolate out of the pan using the foil and then cut into 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" blocks with a knife dipped in hot water between cuts.
Now prep some cocoa powder in a bowl and your sticks if you wish to use them. Skewer a block onto a stick and then dip in the cocoa powder. I highly suggest you try one of these alone. It tastes like a truly decadent truffle.
I tucked mine into a zip top bag and store them in the fridge which should keep them for about a month. For longer storage you'll need to freeze them.
Now, for their true purpose. Think of these as hot cocoa bouillon cubes. Pour yourself a cup (8oz) of milk per cube. For one serving an individual mug and the microwave works fine. For more I'd do it in a saucepan on the stovetop.

Plop in a cube of chocolate. Then nuke until the milk is screaming hot which will melt the chocolate. You'll want to stir it at least once and then nuke some more if it hasn't finished melting. Creamy, already sweetened hot chocolate.
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

Last edited by swimming with sharks; 11-10-2010 at 06:08 AM.
swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swimming with sharks For This Useful Post:
ncsweetpea (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #9
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

my mom was telling me that Alton Brown did a Good Eats on hot chocolate but I haven't had time to look it up.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (11-10-2010), ilikestrawberryjello (11-10-2010), ncsweetpea (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #10
ilikestrawberryjello
Rose Trellis

ilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
my mom was telling me that Alton Brown did a Good Eats on hot chocolate but I haven't had time to look it up.
I Alton Brown!! I DVR Good Eats...I am a total dork..but I can't cook and he helps me out a LOT!!

I'm excited to read more hot chocolate recipes! Erin's sounds good...how much does that make?
ilikestrawberryjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #11
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

One York's Peppermint Patty in the bottom of a cup.
One cup of hot milk (or mixed with half and half) added to the cup.
Stir with cinnamon stick.
Drink in private where no one can beg for a sip.
Wash cup immediately to hide the evidence.
Check mirror to make sure evidence is off your face and teeth too.
J3K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J3K For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (11-10-2010), ncsweetpea (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #12
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute

This is the one I have been using for a couple of years for an "everyday" cocoa mix. It is pretty good...has the ease of the powder mixes and a nice depth of flavor. It makes a big batch!

Stage-Stop Hot Chocolate Mix presented by Texas Stagecoach Inn Bed & Breakfast

8 oz. container of non-fat dry milk
3 cups of Confectioner's Sugar
1 16oz. container of Nestle's Instant Chocolate Milk
1 6oz container of Creamora (or any non-dairy creamer)
Large box of instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup of miniature marshmallows
1 cup of miniature chocolate chips

Combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container.
Mix 3 tablespoons of per cup of hot milk or water.
Serves winter company.
ncsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ncsweetpea For This Useful Post:
ilikestrawberryjello (11-10-2010)
Old 11-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
GlacierLily
Rose Garden

“Overcoming what frightens you the most strengthens you the most.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo

GlacierLily has disabled reputation

Mama to our medical munchkin -3 (ASD,CHD, GDD medically complex & cognitively age 1 ) and super siblings !
GlacierLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
here is his recipe http://www. foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/hot-cocoa-recipe/index.html
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute

i melted a hershey bar in a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water. i wisked in milk. in my cup i added the small marshmellows. you HAVE to have m'mellows in hot chocolate. i love when they kinda melt into it. mmmm....
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote