Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation
Default Re: white squiggly stuff in eggs

I only took it off when I was strict about the baby getting no whites with his eggs, because I felt like the egg whites would stick to them. I don't know if that's true but it seemed like it. Now I don't bother with them.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
filmgirl2911
Rose Garden

filmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond repute

My mom did this, too, growing up, so that's what I always did

Now it's only a once-in-a-while thing.
blessed with a sweet {but sometimes fierce} empathetic little girl since April 2010

word on the street is I am an ENFP

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
filmgirl2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to filmgirl2911 For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

My mom does, but I never saw the point

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
november
Rose Trellis

november has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of that in my life!

Married to the love of my life
Mama to (7) & (2)

Save
november is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to november For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (06-13-2012), jewelmcjem (06-18-2012), Lady TS (06-23-2012), Lily (06-13-2012), prov31craftymom (06-14-2012), TuneMyHeart (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I like the umbilical cord description...I worked with a girl who said "oh you mean the spermy looking thing?"
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simplegirl For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (06-14-2012), dulce de leche (06-13-2012), rosesnsnails (06-14-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
Ah, you mean the white 'umbilical cord' looking thing?

Reminds me of another reason I don't eat eggs.
that's what we call it.

I often remove them, but not always. If I'm just making scrambled eggs, I don't bother. But if I'm baking it making custard or swiss meringue buttercream or something like that, yep! Fish those suckers out!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #22
shaslove
Rose Garden

shaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
I don't even know what white squiggly stuff you guys are talking about . And we use a LOT of eggs in our cooking (probably a dozen and a half per week).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
I'm lost too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
I've never heard of that in my life!

Me neither! I have no idea what on earth you are talking about!
shaslove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shaslove For This Useful Post:
Lily (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #23
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_white

You can see it in that picture, it's connected to the yolk. Ime when I pull it off, the egg yolk usually breaks.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Ok, I'm such a nerd. I found out it called the "Chalazae". It anchors the yolk to the center of the white.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
Happygrl (06-14-2012), magpiedpiper (06-14-2012), rosesnsnails (06-14-2012), simplegirl (06-14-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I always remove them because seeing them in the finished product (scrambled eggs, baking, whatever) always squicks me out. They feel gross if you're unlucky enough to find one in your mouth, too.

When I crack the egg, I dump out the white but keep the yolk in the shell (like you would dumping the yolk back and forth to separate the egg). If you turn the shell just so, you can get the "chalazae" (thank you ) to flop over the edge of the shell and just pinch them off. It only takes me a couple of extra seconds per egg, so it's no big deal.

Last edited by Macky; 06-13-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: fix punctuation
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (06-13-2012), simplegirl (06-14-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #25
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

I used to, but I no longer bother at all. We eat WAY too many eggs.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReedleBeetle For This Useful Post:
HomeWithMyBabies (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #26
LadybugSam
Deactivated

ladybug, ladybug fly away home

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_white

Ok, I'm such a nerd. I found out it called the "Chalazae". It anchors the yolk to the center of the white.
thank you!

LadybugSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LadybugSam For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (06-14-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #27
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadybugSam View Post
thank you!

Finally a reason to be grateful that I'm allergic to eggs.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
simplegirl (06-14-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #28
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

It's not an undeveloped chick. My mom would tell me stuff like that, too. I wonder why that myth got around?
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (06-14-2012), charla (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Finally a reason to be grateful that I'm allergic to eggs.
But that spoiler info was wrong. http://www.thekitchn.com/word-of-mouth-c-1-8567

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

jujubnme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jujubnme For This Useful Post:
charla (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #30
StoryOfGrace
Rose Garden

INFP...Don't mind me!

StoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post

Awe-man! You beat me to it!! I actually remember that factoid from my high school Small Animal Science class...I was all prepped to share my wisdom.

I've never even heard of taking it out.

"Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded.
What if we put down our signs, crossed over the lines, and loved like You did?
"
~Casting Crowns

StoryOfGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StoryOfGrace For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (06-13-2012), ozmummy (06-14-2012), rosesnsnails (06-14-2012)