Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do I make a raised bed garden?

We want to put in a raised bed garden in our back yard, but need to do so as cheaply and simply as possible. I have looked at some books which make it sound complicated and expensive.
Do we need to do something to kill the grass underneath?
Or do we just buy a load of dirt and put it in?
What materials are cheap or free that we can use for the sides?
How thick should a "raised bed" garden be?
Do we have to test the soil or anything?
What else do we need to know?
thanks!
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I make a raised bed garden?

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do I make a raised bed garden?

You don't need to kill the grass underneath, but I laid down paper bags just to keep the dandelions from growing up into it... (The grass will automatically die from the instant lack of sunshine... But big weeds are persistent)

We bought three 2x10 boards ($10ea) and DH Cut one on half and screwed the four pieces together to make a rectangle... Then we bought one yard of aged steer manure and filled it up (ours sat for a while so the manure had a chance to "cool off" before planting)... Prices will vary depending on where you are... If you use just regular dirt from your yard/property you might want to build up the nutrients by adding compost or a little manure if you can afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by squiddles; 01-14-2014 at 10:31 PM.
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiddles For This Useful Post:
believer (01-15-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute

We have also built raised beds with chunks of broken patio (concrete), we got it free from a home demo, so check Craig's list for people getting rid of stuff like that, we layered it like bricks and it was really nice and rustic looking so don't feel restricted to wood (which you can also find for free on Craigslist when people are scrapping out remodels etc...)

Last edited by squiddles; 01-14-2014 at 10:45 PM.
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squiddles For This Useful Post:
believer (01-15-2014), canadiyank (01-15-2014), mountainash (01-16-2014), StrangeTraveller (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddles View Post
We have also built raised beds with chunks of broken patio (concrete), we got it free from a home demo, so check Craig's list for people getting rid of stuff like that, we layered it like bricks and it was really nice and rustic looking so don't feel restricted to wood (which you can also find for free on Craigslist when people are scrapping out remodels etc...)

Thank you. That looks great!
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
On Fire
Rose Bush

On Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
We want to put in a raised bed garden in our back yard, but need to do so as cheaply and simply as possible. I have looked at some books which make it sound complicated and expensive.
Do we need to do something to kill the grass underneath?
Or do we just buy a load of dirt and put it in?
What materials are cheap or free that we can use for the sides?
How thick should a "raised bed" garden be?
Do we have to test the soil or anything?
What else do we need to know?
thanks!
We've done raised garden beds here. The most important thing is the quality of the soil - we used straight compost about 1- 1.5 feet deep, remembering the better quality soil you have to a depth that your deepest roots are going to grow - the better. If you dig the top layer of soil off - to the extent of where most tap roots would end, that will eliminate most weeds. Then we placed newspapers down, then 'weedmat' because it doesn't biodegrade and keeps the compost contained for many years to come. We also lined the inside of the walls with weedmat just to help contain the compost - which can leach out when you water if there are gaps in the wall. You don't need to test the soil normally, but crop rotation is important as each plant-type uses different nutrients.
believer (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
lenswyf
Rose Garden

lenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond repute

I have two suggestions:

1. Start your gardening experience this year with a strawbale garden. The straw bales will kill the grass beneath them (simply because there is no light), and they will compost throughout the summer. At the end of the summer, you can leave them to continue composting, or you can go ahead and till them into the dirt for the winter. The compost will give you a nice, fertile foundation; the uncomposted straw will help keep it loose; and the strawbales plus the soil inside your bed will hopefully fill your box for a raised bed next year. Strawbale gardening itself provides a "raised bed," is very easy on the water bill, and is virtually weed free. Strawbales offer a very productive substrate as well. At least... that was my experience last summer.

2. Try building a keyhole garden like this one. People use all manner of inexpensive things to build the outer wall, the soil is built up with trash, and you can plant it very densely, according to this expert. It's also another water-efficient way to grow food, and it's a raised bed right away.
believer (01-15-2014), On Fire (01-21-2014), StrangeTraveller (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

We used treated lumber, which I know isn't the best, but it was a gift and one I very much appreciate. Not sure how I'll replace it when it does finally rot. Maybe concrete blocks. For soil I did 50% native soil from another part of our property and 50% steer manure compost. I amend it now with my own compost and I also put my exhausted potting soil in it.

canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canadiyank For This Useful Post:
believer (01-16-2014), squiddles (01-15-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
lenswyf
Rose Garden

lenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond repute

Free Kindle book, at the moment: How to Build a Raised Bed Garden
believer (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

We spent $16 on cement blocks to make ours.

It was the "perfect soil mix" that got expensive (probably around $100).

It was fun. Some of our stuff grew and grew. Other stuff was a flop. It was a fun experiment.

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zak For This Useful Post:
believer (01-16-2014), mountainash (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, definitely put you money into good soil. How cute your raised beds are wont amount to a hill of beans if you can't grow anything in them.

The Following User Says Thank You to mountainash For This Useful Post:
believer (01-16-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
lenswyf
Rose Garden

We had a square-food garden at our old house, built following the directions in the square-foot gardening book. It was pricey to make the soil, but oh so productive. Also, that garden was what sold our house when the housing market was plummeting. I definitely didn't regret the investment then!
believer (01-17-2014)