Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 04-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
Jeanette598
Rose Trellis

Jeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to behold
Default Encouraging kindness between siblings

My two dds (12 and 7) have been bickering constantly recently, and it's driving me insane. Once they start arguing about something, they will not. let. it. go. They both want to prove they are right, and the end result is virtually always the 7yo yelling in frustration when she can't keep up with the 12yo's relentless logic. I try to stop the arguments before they get to the point of no return, but when it doesn't work I get frustrated and end up lecturing them about kindness, which is totally ineffective.

I need to figure out how to encourage more kindness between them. I feel like dh and I model it quite well--we're not perfect, but we are very respectful of each other. How can I encourage more thinking of others and less thinking of self?

I would love any ideas!
M, our much-loved dd #1, born 8/03 (C-section)
B, our long-awaited dd #2, born 11/28/08 (natural VBAC)
Jeanette598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:53 AM   #2
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Encouraging kindness between siblings

All three of mine spend their time trading off who's mad at whom this time. Due to ages, it usually winds up being physical.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Jeanette598 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #3
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, I've got nothing other than commiseration. My nephew, niece and daughter do this all day long and it's all I can do to keep myself from getting caught up in it.
Once, I did lose my patience and snap that everyone of them have a God given and constitutionally protected right to be wrong. It stopped them for the day.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Jeanette598 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

We deal with this too. One word of encouragement, it does seem to go in cycles. When one is developing a new skill or growth spurt it impacts their relationships too.

We talk about how it is okay to walk away and let the other person believe what they want, even if you disagree. I tell my kids that as long as it is not a salvation issue, they can let the other person be wrong. Not sure what we'll do if that is ever the issue.

We also talk about how each is the only sister they will have and to treasure that special relationship.

To encourage kindness, talk to each one separately and ask them to do something nice as a surprise. Examples would be a note on a pillow, doing a chore, sharing some chocolate, etc.

Also, when mine get ramped up, I separate them. Sometimes people just need space to regroup. If it is a fight over a toy or how a shared room is arranged, usually a cooling off period is enough to allow them to work it out.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (05-21-2016), Jeanette598 (04-12-2016), rjy9343 (04-12-2016), ValiantJoy07 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #5
Jeanette598
Rose Trellis

Jeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to behold

Good to know that I'm not alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster View Post
We talk about how it is okay to walk away and let the other person believe what they want, even if you disagree.
Yes, this is huge and I need to keep working on it. This seems to be SO hard for my dd1.

Quote:
To encourage kindness, talk to each one separately and ask them to do something nice as a surprise. Examples would be a note on a pillow, doing a chore, sharing some chocolate, etc.
Good ideas.

Quote:
Also, when mine get ramped up, I separate them. Sometimes people just need space to regroup. If it is a fight over a toy or how a shared room is arranged, usually a cooling off period is enough to allow them to work it out.
Yes. This weekend I introduced the concept of "tabling" a discussion--i.e., the topic is closed for the time being and no more discussion is allowed until everyone cools down.

I know a big part of the answer is simply that they need to grow in their knowledge of/love for God, because that will shape their attitudes toward everything. My problem is that I can think of so much relevant Scripture that teaches how we should treat others, but I'm super wary of using Scripture as a way to chasten my kids. I'm afraid I'll do it the wrong way and it will backfire. My dad had lots of bad memories of his mom telling him and his brother what bad Christians they were when they fought.

Maybe the key is to introduce relevant Scripture passages at a neutral time instead of when I'm upset and trying to make a point.
M, our much-loved dd #1, born 8/03 (C-section)
B, our long-awaited dd #2, born 11/28/08 (natural VBAC)
Jeanette598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read Siblings Without Rivalry? Mine are young still, but it has been very helpful.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
Jeanette598 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe the key is to introduce relevant Scripture passages at a neutral time instead of when I'm upset and trying to make a point.
I think this is key. And, once they are familiar with it, you can remind them gently before things get out of control.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
Jeanette598 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #8
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all

YK, there are two things that have truly made a difference for us in this area:

1) The book Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends (we actually use this for Family Bible Study). I cannot recommend this book enough; it's truly been life-changing.
2) Having the two bickering siblings work together on chores or activities we're doing. Buddy them up together and make them work together. This has helped teach them A) to get along and B) how to work alongside someone you don't care for (in the moment since they're siblings ) for the greater good/big picture.

Abby (15) Lexi (15) Loralai (13) Noah (11)

Titus2Momof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titus2Momof4 For This Useful Post:
Jeanette598 (04-20-2016), rjy9343 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #9
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

yes would focus on redirecting and sep them early on when you see things headed in that direction and just having family rule about no arguing.Save teaching them about kindness an respecting differing opinions right or wrong the concept of agreeing to disagree for unrelated neutral times.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Jeanette598 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 01:32 AM   #10
Living My Dream
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

*Dream*Believe*Achieve*

Living My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having similar 'fun' with my two at the moment. Ds2 saw u was reading siblings without rivalry and told me, "well that won't work!" Asked him what would work and he said he didn't know!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Living My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote