Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did I just ruin her birthday cake?

I made a basic gf confetti cake (Pillsbury) and a 7 minute frosting which I frosted the cake with.. I normal wait till just a few hours before to frost or even make but i was trying to prepare early.. now though I'm unsure and worry it won't last until tomorrow evening. I'd estimate it needs to last another 15 or so hours. Google seems mixed any body have experience with this.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did I just ruin her birthday cake?

Edit because I misread.

I think it is iffy, probably depends on climate. I'd have ingredients ready to redo if it starts breaking down. 7 minute icing is my favorite, and ime, it can get weird after awhile but I *think* it mostly relates to humidity?

Last edited by MegMarch; 03-07-2018 at 03:47 PM.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Llee (03-07-2018), milkmommy (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Well luckily I'm in the dessert southwest lol.
I guess ill see how in looks in the morning.. I can redo it if necessary.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Seven minute frosting gets grainy and stiff unless you use a little bit of corn syrup. (The sucrose sugar crystallizes, but the sugar molecule in corn syrup is a different shape and keeps the frosting flexible.) The biggest problem, ime is that if you did not use corn syrup in the frosting, if you touch the frosting, you'll mar the finish. You can't just fix it with a spatula, like you can with buttercream, and you can't patch or fix tears by smoothing and pressing edges like you can with fondant. That said, I've had leftovers last longer than what you need and be just fine, except for the look.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Llee (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

I used corn syrup... it's looking like ill need to do over... I want this to be a nice cake for her and its already falling in places..
Old 03-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Are you worried it will melt due to the heat of the cake? Or the heat of the surroundings? Can you put it in the fridge overnight to cool down and harden?

ETA: I just saw the other replies.... I posted delayed.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Are you worried it will melt due to the heat of the cake? Or the heat of the surroundings? Can you put it in the fridge overnight to cool down and harden?

ETA: I just saw the other replies.... I posted delayed.
No just the stability of it in general. Cske was fully cooled the frosting Is just separating. ..
Old 03-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

No idea but I just want to pop in and wish a happy birthday to my dd’s birthday twin!

You can make the ruined one into cake pops even if you make a new one.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Well we decided to start over.. honestly I over baked tge first a little too soon ahhh I decided to just dump and start again.. this time we used a king Arthur mix which I like better anyways. We decided to go all out and made a six layer rainbow cake.. it is baking right now...
Aerynne (03-07-2018), Quiteria (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:37 PM   #10
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

My dd is getting rainbow cupcakes. ‘‘Tis the season for rainbows.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-07-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 01:57 AM   #11
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

So I can bake/cook fine but I have like zero decorating skills.. but...
Here it is (not cut yet) I ended up doing a nondairy whipped icing this time with coconut milk heavy cream. She wanted Shopkins last year but when I tried to get some stuff their was nothing so we did a more ballet themed. However she never forgotten so.... yup Shopkins .

anyways the cake..
20180308_013202 by pollardk2612, on Flickr

I just bought a 12 pack of Shopkins fromWalmart and Cecilia decided where they would go. It will be like a bonus gift for her.

I was trying to be fancy and do this like tri colored frosting thing...
Its has pink and purple sprinkles and bitty shopkins though so she will be thrilled
Aerynne (03-08-2018), charla (03-08-2018), ECingMama (03-09-2018), MegMarch (03-08-2018), mommychem (03-08-2018), Quiteria (03-08-2018), Singingmom (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 02:52 AM   #12
Love_Is_Patient
Rose Trellis

Love_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful! That looks great.
milkmommy (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:18 AM   #13
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Ha! I'd argue your claim that you can't decorate well. It looks great!

Decorating birthday cakes for me is pretty much always leaving the cake in the pan and smothering a layer of frosting across the top.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
charla (03-08-2018), milkmommy (03-08-2018), mommylove (03-09-2018), Quiteria (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #14
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

What a fabulous cake!

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #15
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

That's really good!! Happy birthday M!!
The Following User Says Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-08-2018)