Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 08-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #181
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation
Default Re: Diatomacious Earth ( DE ) thread :)

Not jess but yes you can put it in food that's how its done with cattle. It can make certain things gritty though. Its just easier to mix it in some cocoa and down it once and be done with it. Or suck it down through a straw if you have a little one that doesn't want to take it. That way its down in two sips with no texture on the tongue or chance of a picky one smelling it out. My kids take de with no probs and even ask for it some time but they ALWAYS know when something has de in it,lol.
me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
Peridot (08-21-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #182
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. Dh got bloating while taking de. Went away when he stopped. Would you take some bentonite and then go back on the de? If yes, how much and for how long? I have a bag of bentonite that I've never opened.
Posted via Mobile Device
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #183
me
Rose Garden

There could be different reasons for stomach swelling. If he isn't having regular bowel movements. Atleast once a day or two if he normally has one without de. I would try that first and take 2tbs of clay to help with any irritation that occured. If the swelling goes down as soon as he goes then you know he just needs to keep himself more regular so he can eliminate what the de is getting rid of.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #184
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for my slowness.

Take clay AND de or just clay for awhile?

His bloating couldve been related to his condition. His liver is overworked and he gets jaundiced from time to time. But it did go away as soon as he stopped taking 1) de 2) alfalfa and 3) skin brushing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #185
me
Rose Garden

Just the clay once. To balance his ph and bring down the swelling. Don't give him any de until the swelling is down. Do you think maybe his body was detoxing too fast?
Enzymatic has a really good liver cleanse. Super gentle but really effective. It took away my husbands yellow tinted skin around the outside corner of his eyes. And it made my stomach swelling go down the entire time I took it. The second time I did the cleanse I hadn't even realized I was swelling again till it went down even more. But anyway, I wouldn't try the de again until his stomach stops swelling. If you do, work up to the amount slowly. I know lots of people just take the full amount but when we all started clay and when we started de, we always worked up from a small amount.
The Following User Says Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-07-2013)
Old 08-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #186
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

I got bloating the time when I was coming down with an illness and was taking DE. A few days later the illness had passed and DE has never given me bloating again

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (01-13-2011)
Old 08-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #187
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation

can someone explain the clay please?

Minimus popops irregularly, and he is ALWAYS at least semi-constipated. I don't want to give him DE if it's going to make things worse. I want to make things better.

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (08-21-2010)
Old 01-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #188
LorenP

Ok - so I am inspired to start taking the DE and do the detox.

I have found a supplier in Australia

They offer a fine grade recommended for bedbugs, cockroaches, and rubbing into your pets coat (wonder if that would work for head lice??) and a livestock grade that they recommend for feeding to cattle and domestic pets. Both are food grade.

Which should I get??

Excited to get started - am sure we still have residual parasites from our trip to Ethiopia 2 years in addition to the regular lineup of nasties.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 AM   #189
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if one is safer than the other. The brand here that is used for human consumption is Perma-Guard.

BTW last summer I did 3 consecutive months of taking 2 TBSP of DE daily. Just me, not the rest of the family (so if anyone else has parasites, I suppose I've been re-infected by now ). But my teeth-clenching at night went away while I was doing that, and returned after I stopped.

My holistic dentist measured the electricity level generated by the metal fillings in my teeth, and it was very high (this causes the jaw muscles to twitch and clench while you sleep). So somehow, taking DE before bed interrupts this "battery" effect in my mouth. THe clenching returned after I went off DE. I want to start up again but we moved recently and my kitchen stuff is still in storage

Also this fall-winter my immune system has been far stronger than in previous years. I think it's a combination of the things I did over the summer - more sunshine exposure (got a good tan!), taking DE, taking some therapeutic-grade calcium bentonite clay, and basing our meals around in-season vegetables plus meat, and lots of fresh fruit. Basically a great whole-foods diet. THe previous two years we were sick ALL THE TIME. This year, nothing but two minor head colds

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
Blue-EyedLady (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #190
homesteadmama
Rose Trellis

homesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond repute

We take the livestock/food grade stuff from the feed store. It was a lot cheaper than paying shipping by buying something online.

Sarah, INFJ
Wife to M since 1/04
Mommy to S (1/07), W (1/09), S (1/11)~My UC baby, and A (12/14), Another UC baby
, Baby-Wearing, , Cloth Diapering, , Traditional Foods Family
My blog
homesteadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #191
LorenP

Our stockfeed store (and several others) had never heard of it! I had similar issues getting the non-food grade pool stuff for our hen house.

I found some that is mined in our state, and will ship for quite a reasonable cost.

Starting with the livestock grade as they are out of the really fine grade.

Can't wait!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #192
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

Ask questions about the livestock grade. The one I got from our feed store isn't all white; it's grey because bentonite clay is mixed in. The whiter/lighter the de is, the more pure it is.
One of the mom's I shared it with said when she mixed it with liquids she detected a diesel fuel scent coming from it.
SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #193
righteous mama
Rose Garden

righteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting on it on Sunday. I met a lady at a local health food store that created her own line of skin care...as well as a product called ViraFungal Fighter. She looked at my skin (I have lots of precancerous spots, spots that won't heal, and allergic reactions) and said she thinks I'm allergic to something I'm eating and that there is a bacterial infection in my gut. She is bringing me some DE from her own to start on this Sunday. She said I should see dramatic results. She also wants me to start on her ViraFungal Fighter to help heal the spots. She sprayed me with it on Sunday (last Sun) and I was shocked at how well it worked in just hours. So I'm very excited to see what'll happen!
mama to farmer girl (21) princess lionheart (16), and dandelion queen (11)

~infp~

Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power!
righteous mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to righteous mama For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-07-2013)
Old 01-13-2011, 03:36 AM   #194
LorenP

The DE I found hasn't arrived yet, but is pure and certified organic.

I will be sure to check the colour and scent now though - thankyou.

Ironically - we now have a candida infection ... Sweetpeasmommy was right! All the moisture in the air from the flooding and heavy rain around here on top of Christmas goodies probably sent us over the edge!!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #195
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

I hope it helps!