Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

joysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default an awesome find!!

I have found an awesome program that has solved two probems we are/were having. I never went through a reading program with ds almost 7 because he just taught himself to read. He has become frustrated with reading because he is having a harder time memorizing 6/7/8 letter words. Then I have dd 5 1/2 who desperately wants to read, but can't blend. She gets frustrated when I help her, and she gets frustrated when she doesn't have my help because she can't do it all on her own.

Well, a friend recommended Funnix. I looked at it at her house, and thought there was no way that my kids would like it. I have 100 Easy Lessons, and dd detests that book. Funnix is made my by the same people as 100EZ lessons, or so I'm told. I thought I would just give it a shot, I mean, what could go wrong except she doesn't like it.

We started it last week, and dd LOVES LOVES LOVES it!!!! She constantly asks to do another lessons, and she LOVES the worksheets that go with it. My ds started watching us doing it and told me he wanted to play it. We took a placement test and started on a more advanced level. Now both of my kids are begging to do school, and even my newly 4 year old watches them do it and asks to do school.

I never ever thought my kids would go for this. Dd HATES the 'say it fast/slow' game, but apparently, not when she plays with someone else. Anyways, I just wanted to pass along a great find to others who might be interested

Last edited by joysworld; 04-28-2012 at 07:48 PM.
joysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joysworld For This Useful Post:
NovelMama (04-28-2012), rainydaybaby (04-30-2012), The Tickle Momster (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
pastelsummer
Rose Garden

I am where I am only by the Grace of GOD

pastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: an awesome find!!

Is there a link? I would like to look at it
Posted via Mobile Device
pastelsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pastelsummer For This Useful Post:
joysworld (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

joysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry 'bout that. Put a link in the OP
Old 04-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
pastelsummer
Rose Garden

I am where I am only by the Grace of GOD

pastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond repute

That looks kool sissy was looking over my shoulder and wants it now
Posted via Mobile Device
pastelsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

Yay!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
JJsMom
Rose Garden

JJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm considering getting that for my 5yo dd. She loves to do school but I haven't been able to work with her bc of my little one.
How much of my help is required? Is it something she can work on herself if I get her started?
Gave birth to my J-bird 10 yrs ago (ds)
Homebirthed my LuLu 7 yrs ago (dd)
Homebirthed my Punkin' seed (and Great Grandma's namesake) 4 years ago. (dd)
And had our newest arrival, JellyBean 2 years ago. (dd)

I still miss my Great Grandma every single day. I'm not ready to take her picture out of my avi. She feels closer this way.
JJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

I have to sit down and do it with them, but I my friend's 6 yo does it on his own. I guess it just depends on the child. My ds is capable of doing it on his own, but I sit with him to make sure he stays on task.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

That looks great

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
rainydaybaby
Seedling Rose

rainydaybaby is a jewel in the roughrainydaybaby is a jewel in the roughrainydaybaby is a jewel in the rough

We also enjoy Funnix! DS has so much fun with it he wants 2 lessons a day! We haven't done the worksheets since he is doing cursive writing, but they are quality activitties! Defiiniitely worth the money. (But it has been free in February the past 2 years!)

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

DS is 4. He does them independantly while I keep my eyes and ears open. Sometimes he will miss something and we will go back, that sort of thing. I agree that it depends on the child!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
2ddmom
Rosebud

"Life is not defined by what you have,even when you have a lot." Luke 12:15 MSG

2ddmom has a spectacular aura about2ddmom has a spectacular aura about2ddmom has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for sharing this. I think this might be just what I'm looking for to get DD1 started reading.

Wife to Joseph 10.6.07
Mom to three great girls:
AJ 7.1.08
Colleen 9.22.10
Sarah-Helen 12.28.12
A homeschooling, homesteading, natural living, unconditionally loving family.
2ddmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

I seriously can not rave enough about this!!! Dd had absolutely no concept of blending before, and in just a week, she's picked it up!!! Ds had absolutely no interest in reading before, and in just a week, he is actually picking up books and bringing them to me to help him read them!!! That is HUGE for him!!! They also fight over who gets to do school first, and will beg to do school all day long!! We even did school on Saturday and Sunday because they wanted it so badly!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joysworld For This Useful Post:
JJsMom (05-05-2012), rainydaybaby (05-03-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
JJsMom
Rose Garden

JJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond repute

That's awesome! I'm going to order this in the next couple days. Thank you for this thread!
Gave birth to my J-bird 10 yrs ago (ds)
Homebirthed my LuLu 7 yrs ago (dd)
Homebirthed my Punkin' seed (and Great Grandma's namesake) 4 years ago. (dd)
And had our newest arrival, JellyBean 2 years ago. (dd)

I still miss my Great Grandma every single day. I'm not ready to take her picture out of my avi. She feels closer this way.
JJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

I have found one downside that I must warn others of.........

My kids now fight over who gets to do it first, and there was one day this week when they both woke up at 4.30 begging to do school

And being the great mom I am, I just turned the tv on and went back to bed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joysworld For This Useful Post:
JJsMom (05-05-2012), Lady Grey (05-06-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

def. sounds like more fun than 100 Easy Lessons which my dd actually liked and didnt know about anything else all those yrs ago so ds didnt have an option but it worked out ok if we didnt do writing...

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote