Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #76
Amy
Rose Trellis

chocolate distraction

Amy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
They use the (far cheaper) apples that are too ugly to sell as whole fruit in the store and they buy in bulk. We bought the ugly apples directly from an orchard, by the case, and used them for canning last year. It was way cheaper than trying to can from the stuff at the store.
Would you mind telling me how you went about this? I would love to look into to it!
ds2 (4/11)
Married to (since 12/97)

No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of anyone who isn't trying." ~ unknown

Last edited by Amy; 05-02-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #77
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

We were part of a co-op that bought from a local orchard. If you contact a few nearby orchards, they should be able to give you their pricing. We bought our cases during a year where there was an early hail storm, so they had a lot of fruit at very low prices that was hail damaged. The hail damage made the fruit look less pretty, but didn't impact the quality of the fruit otherwise. We also lived near a public orchard, where anyone could take apples, so that was nice too

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
Amy (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #78
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post
I think I'll see if my sister wants our grains.

Y'all, I think I'm way overeating on this. when do I start listening to my body say "enough! No another bite!" is this just normal as I work through the mindset of being "deprived" (even though so far I haven't felt that way)?

I will say, I feel like my head is a LOT clearer. I'm not to the point where I would say I have tons of energy or anything, but, I'm noticing I'm not as tired - which is a big deal because I'm ALWAYS tired. like, constant, all day, "I could fall asleep right now", dragging my body tired. So, that's great!
You WILL stop eating so much. Your body isn't ready to yet. I don't remember how long but it took us awhile to stop eating everything in sight

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (05-02-2012), Soliloquy (05-02-2012), sweetpeasmommy (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #79
musicmama
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

musicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond repute

yup, we did that too, Jen. ESPECIALLY the girls, I could NOT keep them full!!!!!

Looking at elanaspantry.com to find some good breakfast alternatives, I think the girls are especially gonna get tired of eggs soon.
mama to my long-awaited miracle Sophia 11/06
and her sweet beanie sister Chelsea 8/10

Creative Genius behind Sophiecat Creations

She is clothed with
strength and dignity
and laughs without fear
of the future.
Proverbs 31:25

musicmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #80
Mamaka
Deactivated

Mamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond repute

We love Elana's Paleo breakfast bread (not really bread, more like a cinnamon-almond butter breakfast cake).
Mamaka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamaka For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (05-02-2012), musicmama (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #81
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaka View Post
We love Elana's Paleo breakfast bread (not really bread, more like a cinnamon-almond butter breakfast cake).
Recipe?

It's not even that i'm all that hungry... I actually can't rememeber being hungry once this week. I just keep eating until I'm really full! Although, I was down a few pounds today, so...

Tonight is chicken drumsticks, sweet potato chips, and guacamole. I'd do a salad, but I'm in a rush, yoga tonight.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #82
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly subbing, I am in the processing phase I think, trying to make a new plan, I have been doing GAPS and I think it's great for my kids but it's just not working for me. Every month I gain more weight and feel more terrible. I went back to doing some soaked gluten free grains because I was having blackout issues, that helped a little bit. I tried Leptin Rest a few weeks ago and that was a disaster, I got really hypoglycemic and now I can't stablize my blood sugar to save my life it is peaking and crashing all day long. I'm not eating any sugar and very little fruit. I don't usually have sugar cravings, I'm not really convinced I have a yeast problem. Maybe adrenal fatigue...

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say they are praying for AngelaVA:
crunchymum (05-02-2012), euromom (05-04-2012), Mamaka (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #83
Mamaka
Deactivated

Mamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post
Recipe?

Here ya go: Paleo Breakfast Bread

Another non-egg (or maybe egg-disguised) breakfast that we like is banana pancakes/waffle. 1 egg + 1 banana, mashed + 2T almond flour (makes enough for 1). Cook in coconut oil or in a waffle maker (I like it better as a waffle). Can add fresh or frozen blueberries to either, and I also slop in some vanilla and a big sprinkle of cinnamon.
Mamaka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mamaka For This Useful Post:
musicmama (05-02-2012), PaperMomma (05-02-2012), tempus vernum (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #84
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

Sooo...I've been sugar and gluten free for 1 week. Low grains.

My DD has started spitting up and she has green poop like when I had overactive letdown.

Is she detoxing? Or what's going on? It can't be a coincidence.

I'm hoping to get to the city soon to get some clay - I think it would help all of us. But it's an hour away and I need toddler-babysitting...
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #85
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiina View Post
Sooo...I've been sugar and gluten free for 1 week. Low grains.

My DD has started spitting up and she has green poop like when I had overactive letdown.

Is she detoxing? Or what's going on? It can't be a coincidence.

I'm hoping to get to the city soon to get some clay - I think it would help all of us. But it's an hour away and I need toddler-babysitting...
I think it sounds like detox And we also do epsom baths for "die off" (another term for detox). It's SO miraculous how they go in all nuts and come out all relaxed I haven't done one in a LOOOOONNNNNGGG time but used them heavily when we first started gaps

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaka View Post
Here ya go: Paleo Breakfast Bread

Another non-egg (or maybe egg-disguised) breakfast that we like is banana pancakes/waffle. 1 egg + 1 banana, mashed + 2T almond flour (makes enough for 1). Cook in coconut oil or in a waffle maker (I like it better as a waffle). Can add fresh or frozen blueberries to either, and I also slop in some vanilla and a big sprinkle of cinnamon.
Oh my - YUM! gonna try that tomorrow a.m.

ETA - gonna try skipping stevia by adding extra honey

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 05-02-2012 at 08:51 PM.
crunchymum (05-02-2012), Dovenoir (05-03-2012), Stiina (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #86
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I have been eating bittersweet chocolate mixed with peanut butter every night. It really feels like a deficiency my body is trying to compensate for. I've also been craving fat more - cream, fried foods, etc. I've been eating more cream but pretty much staying away from fried foods. Wish I knew what was going on...

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #87
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmljll View Post
I have been eating bittersweet chocolate mixed with peanut butter every night. It really feels like a deficiency my body is trying to compensate for. I've also been craving fat more - cream, fried foods, etc. I've been eating more cream but pretty much staying away from fried foods. Wish I knew what was going on...
I would way up your fats. I crave fats. We even butter our meat. I think our bodies need fat a lot more than we realize and with the "low fat" craze it's hard to imagine. Can you eat butter candy? (Coconut butter, butter and honey)

Another food we relied heavily on when we first went on gaps, we were constantly hungry and craving fats.

Ooh and avacados. . . yum. I could go for one right now

And plain coconut oil with honey

Dovenoir (05-03-2012), euromom (05-04-2012), LilacPhoenix (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #88
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I've had to be careful with fats the past 5 years because of gallbladder issues. I seem to be digesting them better lately though I ate half a small avocado a couple nights ago with a frozen Amy's organic cheese enchilada dinner. And then the PB and chocolate after... Guess my body is doing better with fats than I thought. Thinking back on it, that was a lot of fat Hmmm... I slept really good that night too

It's such a change in thinking after hearing for so long how bad fat is for you. I've been eating more butter, cream, sour cream, etc lately. I cut our carbs back more. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Need to remember to copy my last few posts to my health blog. My processing here might be gearing me up for another big revelation about what foods I do best with...

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LilacPhoenix For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (05-03-2012), tempus vernum (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #89
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Forgot to report I made the chocolate lara bars. . . oh heavens they were astonishing again Truly they taste like brownies This weekend I am making them again and skipping the chocolate chunks and instead dipping them in chocolate and making "cake pops" (on a stick and then putting in a mini muffin paper).

We have two bday parties - one is a family party and one dd1 is going alone so we need desserts for back to back parties .

Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #90
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Do we have a recipe for the chocolate Lara bars?

Oh my heavens. Whoever posted the recipe for the quick breakfast bread, THANK YOU.

So amazingly light and tender, and oh so yummy! We scarfed down a double batch fast as a wink. the baby ate a ton! Seriously, this is going on a favorites list. It's really more like cake, and I had to remind myself that all the ingredients were healthy.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
euromom (05-04-2012), tempus vernum (05-03-2012)