Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
Kaela Parakaleo
Rosebud

One day at a time; Keep it simple; Be grateful; Smile

Kaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the roughKaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the roughKaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the roughKaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the rough
Default Drinking Water question for city dwellers

What kind of water do purchase for drinking? Or do you use a filter? If so, which filter and why? TIA.

Kaela is Hebrew for beloved. My radical identity is that I am deeply and fully loved by God.

Parakaleo is Greek and it means (among other things) to encourage. I pray that every word that I speak or write is an encouragement to others.
Kaela Parakaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

MidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drinking Water question for city dwellers

We live in a city known for it's safe and clean tap water, but we still have an under-sink reverse osmosis filter. My father-in-law has worked closely with the city parks and recreation board and has discussed tap water with city officials in the past. He told me that the contaminants most difficult to filter out of tap water are hormones from birth control pills and residue from other prescription medications, and these things are not included on the clean water report for our city (I checked today).

A reverse osmosis filter is known to be one of the only ways to successfully filter hormones and prescription meds from drinking water. It also filters the chlorine used by the city to purify the water and the fluoride added to the water by the city. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about fluoride, but my dentist tells me that if there's fluoride in my toothpaste, that is sufficient.

We prefer filtered to bottled water because it's less expensive than purchasing water all the time, there's less waste involved, and the water isn't stored in plastic. The taste difference between filtered and non-filtered water is incredible. My daughters refer to the filtered water as "sweet."

Having said all that, we seldom drink straight water. We make a lot of tea and coffee around here. It's important if you use a reverse osmosis filter to be sure you are getting enough trace minerals. Aside from drinking tea, we use sea salt and do our best to eat organic foods that have not had the trace minerals all swept away. We also take multivitamins. (We'd do that anyway, even if we didn't have a water filter, but it helps with the necessary minerals.)
Old 11-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live in the city but I buy drinking water . We fill five gallon jugs from the grocery store filtration/osmosis machine. You kind of need to buy a dispenser for the five gallon jugs for it to be convenient to use.
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute

We use a Berkey. We used to buy reverse osmosis water, but dh insists that is really bad . My parents have been drinking reverse osmosis for 15+ years and we used it for nearly that long before switching so I am not sure how bad it can be.
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
tazmom
Rose Garden

tazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Berkey and added the white filters to take out more of the stuff. We have a case of water available for last second grabbing. The case last about a year and I don't think the water in it is any better than tap water. I know the local WM bottled water is literally bottled local tap water.

Wife to the car guy for 21 years
Mom to my kids
T - Fifteen
A - Thirteen
Z - Ten
tazmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Kaela Parakaleo
Rosebud

Kaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the roughKaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the roughKaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the roughKaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the rough

We used a reverse osmosis filter for 8 years but we moved and we are renting. I worried a little bit about the lack of minerals in the long term. we have settled for the moment with a refrigerator filter that just takes out the chlorine, not sodium fluoride (which I am NOT a fan of). I'm a bit conflicted so thank you all for your input.

Kaela is Hebrew for beloved. My radical identity is that I am deeply and fully loved by God.

Parakaleo is Greek and it means (among other things) to encourage. I pray that every word that I speak or write is an encouragement to others.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

We also use a Berkey now but used to use the machines a previous poster spoke of and the 5 gallon water containers

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Kaela Parakaleo
Rosebud

Well, after reading some other threads on water here on GCM, I'm happy to report that I have busted out our Berkey (that we bought for emergency purposes). A member wrote that she had her Berkey water tested and that the water was ALKALINE (the tap water before running it through the filter was tested as acidic). YIPPY!!!! And, even better, when I bought the Berkey, way back in 2008, I bought the black filters that take out the fluoride. I'm a happy camper!

Old 11-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

The white filters remove fluoride in the Berkey. I've never checked the pH ... How great if it made the water more alkaline. I'm not ready to invest in a Kangen system, and the Berkey fit my budget. I have no complaints.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:37 AM   #10
Kaela Parakaleo
Rosebud

Ack! I was wrong. I was doing what my kids do: trying to speak into reality what I really want! It turns out that the black ones do NOT filter out fluoride. I've been on the website; they sell separately post-filters that filter out the fluoride. And they don't even sell the white filters any more so I'm not sure now of the difference between the white and the black. We bought it in 2008.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #11
BriansLovie
Rose Garden

Striving to be a gentle mama and enjoying my littles.

BriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond repute

We use the Berkey water system with the fluoride filters.

Mama to J - 11, J - 9, & A - 5
&
Two angels
9/2007 & 1/2008
BriansLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BriansLovie For This Useful Post:
Kaela Parakaleo (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

We use a Berkey with the black filters and the fluoride filters when needed. The black filters take out a lot more impurities than the ceramic ones....so that is why they quit selling them. They do not do fluoride on their own though.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReedleBeetle For This Useful Post:
Kaela Parakaleo (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #13
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

We use Niagara bottled water. http://www.niagarawater.com/faq/ Albertsons brand water is Niagara with a different label so I buy it sometimes too. At least once a month, one of those two go on sale for $2.25-2.50 for a 24-pack so I buy 4-8 when they're on sale and they last till the next sale. We use it for drinking and cooking.

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

We also use a Berkey. We keep a case or two of bottled water and some distilled water on hand for emergencies, though.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
ReedleBeetle (11-22-2014)