Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 12-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #301
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yelling Support Thread

On days when I am really self disciplined, everything is so much better. I get up at 6 or 7 no mastter how tired I am (my kids are often up until 11 or 12 and my oldest is the only one who sttn), get dressed immediately, get my work done immediately. Keep the tv off. Get the kids engaged in something in the morning. Plan my menus. But this is not natural to me, I hate feeling caged in.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Daria_Aleksandrovna (12-19-2011), Dovenoir (12-16-2011), gpsings (12-17-2011), shaslove (12-20-2011), Tandem mama (12-17-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #302
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post
On days when I am really self disciplined, everything is so much better. I get up at 6 or 7 no mastter how tired I am (my kids are often up until 11 or 12 and my oldest is the only one who sttn), get dressed immediately, get my work done immediately. Keep the tv off. Get the kids engaged in something in the morning. Plan my menus. But this is not natural to me, I hate feeling caged in.
This is so hard for me too, especially engaging 2 under 1.5. I buck under routines..
Dovenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #303
RainbowMummy

That's funny LisaM because sometimes it's exactlly the opposite that I need to do. I don't have a set routine for each day as such but the minute I wake up my brain builds a plan for the day based on what the house/children etc need or rather what I decide they need & if my plan gets 'mucked up' by their actual needs I get frustrated & yell. I really need to work hard at not rigidly sticking to that plan no matter what but to ebb & flow with the days happenings.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #304
Daria_Aleksandrovna
Rose Trellis

Daria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond repute

N/m
DD1 (born Mar'15 )

Last edited by Daria_Aleksandrovna; 12-19-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Daria_Aleksandrovna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Daria_Aleksandrovna:
shaslove (12-20-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #305
shaslove
Rose Garden

shaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiyank View Post
How's today?
Better, I got more sleep. I am so awful when I do not get enough sleep and I was sick too.
shaslove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shaslove For This Useful Post:
canadiyank (12-20-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #306
peep

I really feel like I'm grasping at straws lately with dd. She will be 2 in Feb. and whines for just about everything she wants because she's not really "talking" yet. I feel terrible when I yell, "WHAT" at her and realize she was just needing her sippy cup or something. Being a parent is so much harder than I thought it would be and I hate yelling.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #307
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peep View Post
I really feel like I'm grasping at straws lately with dd. She will be 2 in Feb. and whines for just about everything she wants because she's not really "talking" yet. I feel terrible when I yell, "WHAT" at her and realize she was just needing her sippy cup or something. Being a parent is so much harder than I thought it would be and I hate yelling.
I count parenting as one of the hardest things I'm doing in my life.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #308
Cook
Rose Bush

Cook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of light

Checking back in to say that I was doing awful. I mean so awful that my husband said something to me about it. Lots of drama- a blow up- holiday crazies- getting ready to go back to school... Most of this is situational. Also in general I'm sliding back to punitive parenting and I don't like it. I don't like the way it makes me perceive the kids They are so much more when I'm not only attending to their mess ups. I feel secure and confident in the level of hard work I do to tend to this flock. But I'm grateful that so much of it came to a head last night in our (eh..) conversation. Today has been much much better. I've been looking back on what makes me yell less and applying it in large does today with great success. I'm still a little nutty but it's hard to get off that train when you get it going as fast as I have lately. I hadn't even logged on to GCM in forever... First thing I saw when I did was this thread. Awesome timing and help

A career student at
'God Is Still Growing Me' Techincal College
Jointly enrolled at 'Amen To That' University

My husband is active duty Army. We had three kids in thirty one months. Fortunately I've kept them all alive and mostly healthy Even the stressful days are blessings and/or struggles that we've overcome!

The next generation of perpetually in progress humans:
Darrell(Dec2006)
Jonas(April2008)
Katie(July2009)
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Cook:
shaslove (12-29-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #309
mellymommy
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

mellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond repute

I am finding the Christmas "hangover" to be incredibly difficult to manage. The kids are all emotional and WILD and I am trying to get the house back in order, find time to do some home school planning, and get us back on track with our eating...all of this to say that some apologies have been issued today.

Married since 1999, rebuilding since June 2013

Hybrid Mommy to
ds1 (12/02, SPD)
dd (9/04)
ds2 (10/07, C22 disorder)
ds3 (5/08)
ds4 (1/09)
dd2 (9/11)

http://www.themelodyward.com
htty://www.joplinmamaresurrected.blogspot.com
mellymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mellymommy For This Useful Post:
Ellen (01-04-2012), shaslove (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #310
jmom1984
Rose Bush

Five Generations of Ladies <3

jmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellymommy View Post
I am finding the Christmas "hangover" to be incredibly difficult to manage. The kids are all emotional and WILD and I am trying to get the house back in order, find time to do some home school planning, and get us back on track with our eating...all of this to say that some apologies have been issued today.
Same here. I've been trying to put my finger on what exactly is UP with my 4yodd, but Christmas "hangover" is probably a perfect explanation. At least I hope. Because if this is a stage that is going to last a while, I'm at a loss for how to handle it. The last few days I have been teaching her to go to what I'm calling her "quiet spot" (aka comfort corner) to be alone for a minute when she is overwhelmed, or doesn't know what to do, or is very sad or angry, wants to hurt her sister, whatever. The added bonus is that not only does she not hurt her sister, but she is also out of range so that I can't yell at her. She has gone in her room and screamed and cried, but I make myself stay out until we are both calm enough to resolve it. Even though hearing her in there makes my blood boil. Then again, just today, when her 2yo sister was getting on her nerves, she got up silently, walked to her room, and shut the door, and when I went in there she was reading a book on her bed I was honestly surprised that she remembered to do it since I've just started teaching her. It was a proud moment for me
Jenna Hope 12/16/09
James Anthony & John Michael 4/4/13
jmom1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #311
shaslove
Rose Garden

shaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellymommy View Post
Same thing here.

Lina has been staying up WAAAYYY too late (ie, we put her to bed and she is still awake at 10!) so I got her up early today and asked her babysitter to run around some.

Looking forward to next week and routine again!
shaslove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shaslove For This Useful Post:
canadiyank (01-01-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #312
marigold
Rose Trellis

marigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud of

I accidentally stumbled across this gentleness challenge on another site,
http://womenlivingwell.org/2012/01/i...ess-challenge/
I don't know anything about the rest of the site but I thought that this following quote was really good.
"Are you baffled at the fact that your children are not listening to you? Research has shown that when a parent raises their voice at a child – a defense mechanism kicks in that helps the child emotionally protect themselves by tuning out what you are actually saying. When we as moms go on a long rant about something the child has done wrong – we may feel better because we got our feelings out – but our child has not been brought any closer to wisdom and understanding.
Surprisingly, when we harshly tell our children we do not like something they are doing – all they hear is – “you don’t like me“- period. It’s the harshness that accompanies the correction that causes the child to take personal offense and not listen." - Courtney @ Women Living Well Ministries
ds1 - June 2009
ds2 - April 2011
ds3 - October 2013
dd2 - November 2015
Image already added
marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marigold For This Useful Post:
Aisling (01-04-2012), charla (01-03-2012), kwisie (01-05-2012), mommy2ella (01-27-2012), simplegirl (01-03-2012), Tandem mama (01-04-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #313
RainbowMummy

This section might just be talking about a 'yelling rant' but I often think too how non-yelling rants get tuned out too. I can still remember the feeling of my mum going on & on & on. I'm not sure why she did it but I know I often fall into that trap when I'm explaining something to the kids & as I'm talking I think 'oh, this way of explaining will make more sense to them' & then I prattle on about that & then I think of an even better way to explain it until my eldest will say 'yes, yes mum, I get it!'

Short, simple & to the point is often heard better by a child & it leaves less time for our anger to go from simmer to boiling over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Aisling (01-04-2012), Tandem mama (01-04-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #314
lovepoh

I am going to get a cup of tea and read this thread. I wanted to say thank you though to all of you who are honest about it. I only read the first page so far and I appreciate the honesty from everyone!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #315
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

joining in :group hug

I'm really sick of asking my oldest to forgive me (over and over again). My child is so forgiving and he forgives every.single.time...but I feel so bad for him that I'm constantly apologizing...I feel like we're in the abuse cycle where I yell, then I'm sorry, over and over again. It makes me so so sad for him. I know there is grace, but there has to be a stop to this.

I have been sick a lot this past year and ya know...when we feel bad we act bad. And I know that I'm way hormonally off-balance, which I am working on under a wonderful doctor's care. My moods are already improving...now it's the "habit" of yelling I need to break from.

This is at THE top of my "new year's resolutions".
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018

Last edited by simplegirl; 01-03-2012 at 08:17 PM.
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simplegirl For This Useful Post:
Tandem mama (01-04-2012)