Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #301
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decluttering thread!

We had our carpets cleaned yesterday and moved everything that was on carpet, including furniture, to the back deck (it is warm enough to do that here). Now we're going to be very intentional about what we put back, decluttering a lot as we go. I already have a huge box of bedding we don't want (so far we have only put back beds and bedding). Tomorrow is a holiday so we will have time to put more back.

I read the Lifechanging Magic of Tidying Up this weekend in preparation for that. I really liked it. I wrote some about this in a different thread, but she talks about holding onto the past and fear of the future as two reasons we keep stuff. I think I'm going to get a box and label it "holding onto the past" and label one "fear of the future". I also need one labeled "Things I don't actually want that other people will want me to keep" I think putting it into those boxes will help me keep it in perspective and have the courage to dump it.

I also bought Clutterfree Kids for Kindle and while most of the advice was pretty standard and not all that groundbreaking, and more of it than I would have thought was about minimalism in general and not kids, toward the end there was a lot of good stuff. My favorite quote "Generosity always leads to contentment with far greater efficiency than contentment leads to generosity."

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day

Last edited by Aerynne; 02-15-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #302
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday, I took a lot of boxes and bags of things to my friend's house that they plan to use as a rental for college students. I had cleaned things out of my kitchen - plates, bowls, mugs, some pots and pans and also some that had belonged to my oldest dd - and some ministry books and a lamp and a lot of things that they will be able to use in the house once they finish fixing it up. I am glad that I was able to get rid of things that I did not need and that other people will be able to make good use of them.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-02-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #303
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

I threw away 3 pairs of old shoes that had gotten too shabby for work. However, I bought 2 new pairs to replace them.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #304
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

I have a stack of kids clothes to sell on the local bst page. Theyve been sitting for a long time. Ugh. Gotta get on that. Part of me dreads having a stranger come get them and the other part feels like i should get rid of more clothes...i just need to get these sold. The money will be nice and i can always dig out more to sell.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:08 AM   #305
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

We cat sat for our neighbors over the weekend. And I left them the babygates we took off. There little one is about to start crawling. They asked how mych money I wanted and I replied that I just wanted them out.

The house feels so much bigger with the gates not on the stairs.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #306
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
We cat sat for our neighbors over the weekend. And I left them the babygates we took off. There little one is about to start crawling. They asked how mych money I wanted and I replied that I just wanted them out.

The house feels so much bigger with the gates not on the stairs.
I love getting to take down the gates!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-02-2015), knitlove (02-18-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #307
nursesarah
Seedling Rose

nursesarah is on a distinguished road

Jumping into this thread! I'm trying to pare down on all our possessions cause we just have so much stuff! I have a pile of kitchen things sitting by the door waiting for my brother to pick up, as well as some books, glassware and odds and end going to goodwill. And yet there's still so much...it's never ending! Hoping to get some inspiration from you ladies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nursesarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #308
easygoinmomma
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Silence is golden unless you have boys. Then it means they're into something!

easygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond repute

Got rid of a sewing machine and desk with week along with a bag receiving blankets.
and momma to all boys
The Manatee
Lishy
Doodles
Goose
and Charlie the litter trained Chihuahua
easygoinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:34 PM   #309
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I cleaned out my bedroom. I threw out papers that needed to be tossed. I cleared out a stack of clothes that comes up to my chest while sitting on the floor. I can see the tops of the dressers and the floor.
I cleaned out my kitchen. I threw out three bags of things that have expired, gone bad or were unusable for the food pantry. I have a bag to take to the food pantry and have plans for what I do have.
I cleared my living room and it is not embarrassing to have people come into the front of my house anymore.
Now for the bathrooms.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:01 AM   #310
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

I helped dh clean his office. Got rid of so much paperwork he was afraid to trash. He also decluttered a few clothes.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #311
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

I slowed way down. Lost my momentum. I did declutter my big girl's room. Threw out a stack of paper and junky toys. And their nasty, old rug. I also did the living room shelves, I guess. Not much, but it's still progress.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

And I threw away two pairs of yoga pants that were so old they wouldn't stay up anymore.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #312
ShepherdsWife
Rose Bouquet

Full-time Mom to DS 8/13/12, Wife to the Sheep Man, and Rancher to 8000 momma sheep(ewes) :)

ShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant future

I am trying to declutter, but it takes so much time to do. I have managed so far this year though to reorganize the file cabinets for the business and throw away quite a bit of useless paperwork...discovered that DS(2 1/2) had done quite a bit of work for me and so I fixed that as well.

Starting one drawer a time in the kitchen. If I can even manage a small corner of a counter or something I feel like I am getting somewhere!
DD December 2014
ShepherdsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #313
Delaluz
Seedling Rose

Delaluz is on a distinguished road

I get really overwhelmed with decluttering. I feel like I've been trying to do this for 3 years (the whole time I've been married.) My husband and I both lived in our own homes so we combined our things. We did get rid of a lot but he's a pack rat. 😃 he avoids going through his things at all costs. I don't want to just get rid of his things without his input. So, we continue to have our messy junk room that I want to turn into a guest/office room. I have a desk and our files in there and a ton of other "stuff." I just want it done once and for all BUT I don't think I'm going to get to it until after I finish my son's first birthday party preparations and after we finish cleaning/moving the rest of our furniture out of our other house and get it rented. 😕 Oh and then there's finishing the chicken coop and bringing over our chickens we're inheriting from my brother. Ahhh!
Delaluz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delaluz For This Useful Post:
ShepherdsWife (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #314
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I find it hard to do with kids around. I feel like I could blast through do much if I had 10 hours Aline in the house
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
sunflowermom (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #315
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to declutter my loft still. I am getting through the boxes we still haven't unpacked and the boxes people go through and leave half empty. I really want to make an area for sewing and crafty up there. I have my sewing machine in my room and there is no room to iron. So I either try to iron in a small space or bring it out and worry about someone running into it. I would love an entire corner to work in and leave my project out so I can come back to it.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote