Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #16
monkeylicious
Rose Garden

here we go!

monkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Household notebooks

hope you'll share pics or at least a little description of what you end up doing!
mama to an angel in heaven - july 2005
mama to Evangeline aka evie(licious) - june 2007
monkeylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeylicious For This Useful Post:
Codi (12-30-2009)
Old 12-30-2009, 07:18 AM   #17
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

TrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond repute

I will share when I get it at least semi-done today.
TrinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrinMama For This Useful Post:
Codi (12-30-2009), monkeylicious (12-30-2009)
Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #18
TraceMama
Rose Garden

TraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond repute

I *really* need to work on mine too.

I am determined to be invincible until He has finished His purpose in me.
TraceMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

TrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond repute

oh man. this is taking me forever to create and customize some forms. I made three of my own forms, and now I'm working on combining the best of two grocery lists, and customizing it. Super pain, but I think it will be perfect for me when I'm done. I'm going to make a huge master grocery list, and then one that is shorter for the things I buy pretty much every week. The huge one I'll keep for stocking up and filling my pantry when things are getting low.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #20
KatieMae

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Mama05 View Post
I have one that needs revamping
Me too It mostly "works" but it's full and I'm sure it could be pared down to more useful information. I'm all about paper-decluttering today (shredding 2009 paperwork is on my to-do list for today) so if I can cut down on the bulk it'll be easier to see what other things need attention. I have a few forms that I don't use anymore & a couple can be combined into a single list, just to make life simpler
Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #21
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMae View Post
Me too It mostly "works" but it's full and I'm sure it could be pared down to more useful information. I'm all about paper-decluttering today (shredding 2009 paperwork is on my to-do list for today) so if I can cut down on the bulk it'll be easier to see what other things need attention. I have a few forms that I don't use anymore & a couple can be combined into a single list, just to make life simpler
How many sections do you have? That might be a struggle for me to narrow down...my brain gets so scattered all over the place. I'll need to find a way to remember that I can include certain things in certain places and they don't *really* need their own divider for one piece of paper.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #22
KatieMae

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinMama View Post
How many sections do you have? That might be a struggle for me to narrow down...my brain gets so scattered all over the place. I'll need to find a way to remember that I can include certain things in certain places and they don't *really* need their own divider for one piece of paper.
I actually started to write out the whole run-down of my binder when I first saw this thread but I figured it would be too boring But I'll write it out now...

But first, an idea for the single-sheet issue: Things that I use as references are put in a page protector & are all together in the front, and lists that are slow to fill up (like our plans for bigger purchases, or gift ideas for our family) are printed on colored cardstock so they're easy to find w/o needing an entire section

* * * * * * (Yeah, see, I knew this would be long! )

3" D-RING BINDER CONTENTS:
I leave this open on my counter at all times so it's got a "left side" and a "right side"

LEFT SIDE
Front pocket: things that are frequently changed, in my case, Joanns sale flyers & weekly church bulletin (folded in half so they're side by side)
Page protector: 2pg list of "Virtuous Woman" quotes/paraphrases for me to read when I need some encouragement
Page protector: Phone list
Current log-sheet for homeschool
A single-subject notebook sits on top on this side & it has my running to-do list. This is also a great place for me to jot down notes or random thoughts.

RIGHT SIDE
My own personal version of Motivated Moms pages. I liked the format but wanted to customize it, so I did These are 3-hole punched & I have a new page for each day. It's got daily chores, a homeschool checklist & a daily calendar section. (If anyone wants to see this, I'd be happy to email it - just PM me )
Cardstock sheet "Things to Buy" - this just has a heading on it & I hand-write the list (These are big-price items for planning major spending)
TABBED SECTION 1: "Health & Wellness"
* NFP charts
* Medical records: Each person has a sheet of cardstock where I document their visits to drs/dentists and any notes I need to remember about it. When it gets full I type it & print it & make a new blank one. Also, vax sheets for each of the kids & a list of what we do/don't do.
TABBED SECTION 2: "Finances"
* Current budget
* Page protector holds church offering envelopes & bills that haven't been paid yet
* Old budgets & debt list
TABBED SECTION 3: "Education"
* Homeschool records (my copies of things I've sent to the school)
* Activity ideas, printed from online or torn from magazines
TABBED SECTION 4: "Feeding our Family"
* Loose: recipes to try, printed or torn from magazines
* Cardstock list of snacks
* Cardstock list of favorite meals, broken down by main ingredient (meat type vs. vegetarian vs. sides)
TABBED SECTION 5: "Gifts & Holidays"
* Loose: greeting cards I've bought for upcoming events
* Cardstock list of family birthdays/anniversaries, by month
* 3-hole punched: crafts to make as gifts, printed or torn from magazines
Back pocket: Cardstock "Wish List" for writing down gift ideas for me, DH & the kids

Last edited by KatieMae; 12-30-2009 at 12:02 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
BlessedBlue (01-05-2010), curlymopmom (09-05-2010), mom2chrisnluke (12-30-2009), monkeylicious (12-30-2009), PaperMomma (10-28-2011), Redeemed (08-15-2010), TrinMama (12-30-2009), WI Mama05 (01-05-2010)
Old 12-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #23
Happygrl
Rose Garden

Happygrl has disabled reputation

I didn't see this linked yet...

FLYLady has a great page about building a home notebook (control journal in her language). Not all of it will be helpful, of course, but there is a lot of good info in it.

http://flylady.net/pages/cjmain.asp

Wife to Jim 01/08/00
Mama to Elizabeth 10/01/04, Benjamin 01/27/08 and Matthew 04/25/10

Facebook
Happygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happygrl For This Useful Post:
TrinMama (12-30-2009)
Old 12-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #24
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Katie-- I just have a 1.5" binder...now I'm worried it'll be too small!

Happygrl--I was actually just browsing through there today! Thanks!

edit: I am so tired. I have 4 pages that I'm happy with. Now I have to start on some thank-you's that are over-due to people at dh's office. But, if anyone wants to see the pages I did, pm me and I'll email them to you. I'm happy to share.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #25
KatieMae

My original notebook was only 1.5 or 2" but when I added the daily sheets, I needed more b/c a month of those is about 1/2" all on its own!
Old 12-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #26
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

ooooooh, so you keep a whole month of daily sheets in there at a time. I was thinking of a week's worth. Actually, I didn't even think of it at all before this minute. I'm sure a week will be just fine for me for now, with a monthly calendar, too. That's the beauty of making our own planners.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #27
KatieMae

Yes, my spreadsheet is broken down into four weeks (I don't clean everything every week ) so I just print them all at once. Less hassle too, as I only have to remember to print it once a month

I also have a planner (it's a cheap student planner from WalMart actually ) that I write all our appts/events in. I'm in charge of everything around here, so I don't need a big calendar for everyone to see, at least at this point. It shows a week at a time, but that lives on my desk.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #28
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

I haven't even started the cleaning calendar/schedule part...I might just print the same thing I have from Haley each week with the home blessing challenges.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #29
mom2chrisnluke
Climbing Rose

mom2chrisnluke has a spectacular aura aboutmom2chrisnluke has a spectacular aura aboutmom2chrisnluke has a spectacular aura about

I really want to do a Home Notebook but I am way to scatter brained to sort through all the ideas. I am also a very visual person and I am wondering if anyone would be willing to take a picture of their book? Maybe some of the pages and how you organized it? Also what sections would you say are most important to start with? I am thinking of building one a few sections at a time. I am very unorganized when it comes to papers, bills, school work, ect. It is just all over the place. I really want to work on this problem this year. I am hoping this thread will motivate me!
mom2chrisnluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #30
monkeylicious
Rose Garden

here we go!

monkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of light

mom2chrisnluke - i had bookmarked the first blog entry for reference in making my home notebook... the others i just found doing a search - tons out there and also lots of sites with printables.

http://growinginpeace.wordpress.com/...eeping-binder/

http://homekeepingheart.xanga.com/49...ping-notebook/

http://suchtreasures.com/2006/06/29/...hold-notebook/
mama to an angel in heaven - july 2005
mama to Evangeline aka evie(licious) - june 2007
monkeylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeylicious For This Useful Post:
TrinMama (12-30-2009)