Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #16
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christianity Today editorial on TTUAC and spanking

children's bodies are more fragile than an angry adult can fathom -
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SweetCaroline For This Useful Post:
Zooey (01-07-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

it sounds like a worthwhile read--unfortunately with the "creative corrections" comment at the end I get the feeling the adversarial undertones are still alive and strong I don't understand why the Christian world at large--the world that claims to "live" because of Grace--a free gift of unmerited favor--still feels the need to exact justice from the least of these
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
beansmama (01-04-2012), dulce de leche (01-04-2012), homesteadmama (01-07-2012), rjy9343 (01-04-2012), StoryOfGrace (01-16-2012), Zooey (01-07-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #18
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

If it's the quote in the OP, I didn't get "creative correction" from that. I got a challenge to use our brains toward a biblical goal.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #19
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Right, TK.

The article didn't read like you're thinking, AOL (perhaps because of the book of the same name...?). I think it was really taking the side of the Webb book, but without trying alienate spanking parents. I realize that might not be the "best" approach - especially for GCMers who feel so strongly on the topic - but I thought CT did the best it could.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (01-04-2012), gardenfreshmama (01-17-2012), StoryOfGrace (01-16-2012), Zooey (01-07-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy View Post
Right, TK.

The article didn't read like you're thinking, AOL (perhaps because of the book of the same name...?). I think it was really taking the side of the Webb book, but without trying alienate spanking parents. I realize that might not be the "best" approach - especially for GCMers who feel so strongly on the topic - but I thought CT did the best it could.

I was equating "creative" with "creative corrections" because I've seen so many people, in their efforts to not be gung ho spanking, shift into other creepy directions

Like I said, it sounds like a worthwhile article I hope they get it up online so I can read it
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Someone scanned the article and sent me the pdf of it. Would it violate copyright if I were to upload it and offer it on my blog?

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (01-04-2012), momyshaver (01-04-2012), Zooey (01-07-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

My mind went to the same place as Arms of Love. In part because the tone sounded like the one I had when I was punitive, but did not want to spank. And in part because to me, "Creative Correction" will forever be Lisa Whelchel's book.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
Ellen
Deactivated

Ellen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond repute

If nothing else, the article brings some attention to Webb's book. Hopefully curious parents will read it.

It would be nice to see CT give a more in-depth treatment of discipline, corporal punishment and the church. Maybe some letters to the editor are in order.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ellen For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #24
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
Someone scanned the article and sent me the pdf of it. Would it violate copyright if I were to upload it and offer it on my blog?
It would be a copyright violation, wouldn't it?

My pages:
Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #25
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Probably

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It would. It absolutely would.

You could beg them to put it on CT's site, then link to it.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #27
Hermana Linda
Administrator

It'll get there, we just have to wait.

My pages:
Old 01-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #28
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmk4 View Post
Subbing
Me, too.

Quote:
Yeah, it would.......
Old 01-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #29
Hermana Linda
Administrator

I'll just link to it when they post it.

My pages:
Old 01-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #30
jenn3514
Rose Garden

Be assured, God is in the details.

jenn3514 has disabled reputation

subbing for the link when they put it up..
jenn3514 is offline   Reply With Quote