Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you have a kitchen garbage can/pail you don't hate?

Kitchen garbage cans are the bane of my existence. We've lived in our house for 7 years and I've had 3 of them - and hated them all. I had a cheap plastic $15 one with a foot petal (that broke in days), then a more expensive $50 stainless steel one with a foot pedal (that broke in days), and then for the past year or so another plastic one with no foot pedal, that was on clearance for $6. The lid broke not long after that. (It sounds like we abuse our trash cans, but really, we just use them to toss out trash! Really, really!)

Anyway, what I really want is what my parents have - which is a wood cabinet/island thing that hides the can (the door opens on a downward angle with the pail attached). My mother bought hers wholesale from but the company doesn't make them anymore. However, if you know of something similar, or have a pail you love, please let me in on your secret.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have a kitchen garbage can/pail you don't hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy View Post
Kitchen garbage cans are the bane of my existence. We've lived in our house for 7 years and I've had 3 of them - and hated them all. I had a cheap plastic $15 one with a foot petal (that broke in days), then a more expensive $50 stainless steel one with a foot pedal (that broke in days), and then for the past year or so another plastic one with no foot pedal, that was on clearance for $6. The lid broke not long after that. (It sounds like we abuse our trash cans, but really, we just use them to toss out trash! Really, really!)

Anyway, what I really want is what my parents have - which is a wood cabinet/island thing that hides the can (the door opens on a downward angle with the pail attached). My mother bought hers wholesale from but the company doesn't make them anymore. However, if you know of something similar, or have a pail you love, please let me in on your secret.
My BIL made a cabinet just like what you are describing. Any handy people owe you a favor?
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #3
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

My mom has a pull out cabinet similar to that, except it's more of a drawer, they slide it out and the can is in it (fits a brown paper grocery bag) with basically a ring around the top so it can't go down beside the can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

We have what is probably a 2-gallon bucket that sits on our counter. It's small but if we had a big one we'd take it out so seldom that it would stink (especially since we don't compost but we do recycle, so most of what we throw away is produce scraps like watermelon rinds, broccoli stalks, etc). We keep it on the counter because we've often had babies that would get into the garbage. Plus it's actually super convenient there. When we've tried having it in a cabinet the cabinet gets so stinky.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
mommychem (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Ours is the kind that has the button on top. I don't love it but it's held up and works fine. It gets taken out daily.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:38 PM   #6
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

I like mine, it's stainless steel with foot pedal but doubt it was $50. I know we've had it for over five years because it was one of my stipulations before DH got a puppy, but now I can't figure out where we got it or what brand it is. It hasn't broken at all!

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:11 AM   #7
lavenlove
Rosebud

lavenlove will become famous soon enough

We just recently bought one from Sam's Club. It's stainless steel, it was around $50 and has a foot pedal. I think the brand is Tramontina. I don't like touching a handle or doorknob with dirty hands, so that's why I like the foot pedal. You could check around to see if anyone local to you could make what you described. A millworker should be able to handle that.

lavenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:42 AM   #8
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. We are in the same boat. Can't wait to see ideas.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:07 AM   #9
lavenlove
Rosebud

lavenlove will become famous soon enough

https://justagirlandherblog.com/how-...trash-cabinet/
⬆️a link for making one

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Deco...FV2uTwodb6kHMA
⬆️ a link to buy one from Home Depot

lavenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #10
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the market for a new trash can as well. We've had a Simplehuman stainless steel can with a foot pedal for close to 10 years but it doesn't stay shut anymore and the stainless veneer is starting to rust. It was around $100 and I just don't want to pay that again.

I just checked Cook's Illustrated (they did a recent review) and their top pick is $180!! It's the latest Simplehuman can. Their second choice, Sterilite is super basic but is only $17.

One of my friends recently had to have her kitchen redone (they had a horrible leak) and she's now got her trash can in a cabinet drawer. I think it was from Home Depot - it was one of those customizable options.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #11
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps any, I finally figured out how the foot pedal broke on ours. It's from people bumping the lid further open when taking the garbage out. If it bends back too far, it detaches from the foot pedal...sometimes can be popped back into place, sometimes cracks so that it cannot.

We've gone through several of the cheap Sterilite, but this one seems to be lasting longer now that we know what's happening.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #12
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore the over flowing recycling

I have had this for 6 years I love it!

It has been abused by children climbing on it like a stool and playing the foot peddles like a piano. And fights where one child is standing in the peddle and one pulling the top closed.

I don't remember the brand name it was a Canadian company and we bought it online from Target. It was over $100 but has been well worth it.

It has three sections that I use for trash, recycling, and kitchen laundry. It talked about one being used for compost but I deal with that another way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I can't seem to pull an amizon link from my phone but I think this is the same can I have. They also sell a smaller version.

How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.

Last edited by knitlove; 08-28-2017 at 09:26 AM.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
bananacake (08-28-2017), Virginia (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Ignore the over flowing recycling

I have had this for 6 years I love it!

It has been abused by children climbing on it like a stool and playing the foot peddles like a piano. And fights where one child is standing in the peddle and one pulling the top closed.

I don't remember the brand name it was a Canadian company and we bought it online from Target. It was over $100 but has been well worth it.

It has three sections that I use for trash, recycling, and kitchen laundry. It talked about one being used for compost but I deal with that another way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I can't seem to pull an amizon link from my phone but I think this is the same can I have. They also sell a smaller version.

I like that!

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

We have a basic plastic flip top can that we've had for at least 10 years. It's slightly smaller than typical kitchen size, but I still use "tall kitchen" bags. (they are cheaper and they don't get pulled down)

like this (but white)
Old 08-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #15
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

We have a dog who likes to play in the trash and our state has returnables on pop cans. Following along for ideas. I like the triple posted above. Though don't know how it would work in my kitchen.
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote