Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
elohcin
Rose Bouquet

elohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud of
Default Mint.com...?

I have a few questions about Mint.com. I know several people who love it, but I'm just not sure... I'm considering it now though because I think DH and I need a new system that we can be "partners" in. I do the finances here but it causes a lot of conflict whenever he suddenly decides to get really interested and tries to re-do our budget and stuff. (even though I know it would stress him out to have to sit and balance and pay bills and stuff regularly, on top of his 24hr shift job already!) "My" way has worked for our entire 12 years of marriage, we've been able to save whenever possible, we've paid off student loans in 1-2 years, we're already way ahead on our mortgage in just a year and a half, we know what we can/can't afford, etc...but because I am the one who sees everything that goes in and out, I think I have a much different perspective than he does, as his is more general (and he's never had to do the grocery shopping, for one! LOL). Anyway...just one of those things that I'm tired of fighting over every couple of months, and so I'm looking at options...

We've always done our finances on paper. It's because of my custom "system"...for balance, we have our accurate balance, a rounded balance, and the difference. It has been a method for saving money but also for cross-referencing my numbers too. Not as complicated as it sounds though. We also use credit cards as our primary spending method so I deduct it as we spend (like cash)- we have never carried a balance, we always pay it off and just reap the rewards benefits. It's been hugely beneficial for us and has tons of perks. But it does require more frequent balancing to keep track of how much we've spent and what we have left.

Anyway, I've always been hesitant to switch systems, partly because I have never felt like there is one that fits everything I want, but also because it's either going to cost us money (like Quicken, for example, is what I always helped do my parents farm finances on) or be online (which kinda freaks me out!).

But Mint.com seems to be very similar to my system, minus the rounding stuff...from what I understand, it links to ALL your accounts so it looks at credit card spending like cash?? That's our biggest necessary feature since we do use CC's primarily.

Is it safe though? I am always hesitant to move exclusively to this kind of stuff. I'd love to hear how it works for anybody who uses it.
11 very loved babies in Heaven
elohcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
Michele123
Rose Trellis

Michele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mint.com...?

I can't vouch for mint as I'm uncomfortable with storing my finances online like that. I do use MoneyWell which has apps for iOS. It also treats credit card spending like cash if you set it up that way. It only works on Apple devices though.

Fwiw, we do the exact same thing with credit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ENFJ, please excuse my stream of consciousness posts.

Battled infertility for 3 1/2 years before DD (PCOS)
TTC #2 for 6 months (3 ovulations)

Married to DH since Aug 2004
DD born Feb 2012
DS born May 2014
#3 due Aug 2016
Michele123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

We use Mint. Yes, it treats your CC purchases as cash. Then when the CC is paid, I mark it as a transfer and it does not affect your budget (since all the things on the card already have come out of your budget).
Old 05-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #4
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I should look into this. We used quicken for decades and were happy. But it's been a few years since we have used snything...
Old 05-28-2016, 04:47 AM   #5
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

Another good option is You Need a Budget (YNAB). At the beginning of the year they switched to an all online format that I don't currently use. We use the older version (YNAB4 or Classic, not sure of the actual name on the website) that uses a desktop program then connects to phone/tablet apps through Dropbox. (We don't have credit cards, just debt cards attached to our checking).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Ynab works perfectly for using credit cards like cash.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
elohcin
Rose Bouquet

elohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud of

Thanks all!! I see YNAB isn't free, which is what I am looking for at this point.

I did try Mint and it won't work for us because it only starts budget dates based on calendar months, and you can't adjust based on pay periods. Our budgets start with each paycheck every two weeks. Apparently this is a common complaint that Mint has failed to address for several years, but it renders the program useless for lots of people like my family!
11 very loved babies in Heaven
elohcin is offline   Reply With Quote