Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default cleaning cast iron

I have a cast iron pan I have been using more often, but I'm not really sure how to get it clean. I know that I shouldn't use soap, and nothing that is too abrasive, right? So how do you get the hard gunk off? I have a sponge with a scrubby side, but it isn't getting the caked off food off well enough. What do you use? And do I really need to put new oil on it after every time I wash it?
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
SalH (06-05-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: cleaning cast iron

Honestly it depends on how well seasoned they are. A more seasoned pan can take on a little more than a less seasoned pan.

I exclusively use cast iron. So they get used daily at minimum, often multiple times a day. I wash with water only, but will use a scouring pad to get chunks off. I used to oil after each wash but I no longer find I need to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (06-13-2016), SalH (06-05-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I usually just use a dishrag or paper towel to wipe out my cast iron after use. (It's well-seasoned.) If anything is stuck, I use either a metal spatula or steel wool to scrape it off. (I use a metal spoon to clean out the cups of my ebelskiver pans.) It's okay to use abrasive tools. I've read that the use of metal tools helps to smooth the surface of the cast iron and make it slicker. I don't oil it after every use any more.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (06-13-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Oh good, I can use steel wool? Not that I have any, but I was afraid that would damage it. Good to know! I haven't used this pan much, but now that it's out and heavy to put away, I just have left it out and keep using it. But the stuck on food is kinda gross.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #5
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

The sooner you wash it after using, the easier.

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoannaV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Yep. Steel wool, that's what I use. and I agree with doing it right awah. Comes off fairly easy right away. And gets better the more seasoned it is. I rarely have things stick anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
esperanza
Rose Garden

The problem is that it's so hot for a while, so I have to wait until it cools down to wash it. Good tips though, thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #8
2sunshines

Oh yes! I don't mean right away as in when it's super hot! I cook. Then serve and eat dinner. Then after we load the dinner dishes I wash out the pan. That fits in the "right away" description for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
esperanza (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I use chain mail for cleaning mine but Ive also used those coily metal scrub balls. It's not steel wool but similar. I oil mine but I do it differently than most do. I wash out my lane and turn on the stove to dry them. When they are dry I add one drop of oil (or two for the bigger ones) and spread it using a basting brush. Then I shut off the stove and it's done. I repeat this process before I cook in it and it rarely ever has anything stick. The key is to not use very much oil though.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
esperanza (06-04-2016), everybody's mother (06-13-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #10
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

I put boiling water on mine to rinse, then after lots of salt and I scrub with a plastic brush, then rinse with water. Mine is seasoned enough that I rarely oil it afterwards.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

My cast iron I inherited is seasoned si well I can wash it with water with no issue. The prices I bought new neaver see water. I scrubbed them with steel wool. If I know this GS are going to stick horribly I will grab the steel wool with tongs and do a bit of scrubbing before everything cools down.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #12
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Mine are in great shape, I keep hearing conflicting advice about how to wash it, though. I use a little bit of soap if I cook lots of eggs or if something burns in it or if the water runs brown or black when I rinse it. I oil it well after using soap. Sometimes I just wipe it out with a paper towel. Usually, I rinse it while still hot, scrub it with sea salt and/or a rough scrubber thing (depending on how much food debris is in it), rinse it again, heat on the stove, rub a little oil on it, heat it for a minute or two, done.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

Last edited by marbles; 06-05-2016 at 01:21 PM.
marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #13
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I rinse with boiling water first, rids the thick fat that makes the water thick and brown.... then scrubbing with salt removes the particles.

MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaySunflowers View Post
That's why I rinse with boiling water first, rids the thick fat that makes the water thick and brown.... then scrubbing with salt removes the particles.

Well I mean like if I do all my regular washing routine and the second rinse is still brown. I use soap with eggs because I'm allergic. Sometimes there's lots of egg residue and I'm not confident I got it all. I scrubbed with soap when my daughter stopped eating gluten, too, to make sure the pans were completely clean.
Some people say soap ruins cast iron, some people say it's the only way to really get it clean and it's just fine so long as you oil it. I go middle ground and use it minimally. Either way, it shouldn't be wet longer than it takes to actually wash it (no soaking or drip drying)

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
MaySunflowers (06-06-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #15
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like to use soap because I have more sticking when I do. My aunt used to put them in the dishwasher though. Ack. Generally with something like eggs they never stick so all I do is wipe it out. That's why I love cast iron. Plus if something goes wrong you just start over. My friend had a pan that was sticky from oil so I scrubbed it out and started it over for her and now it's beautifully non stick.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote