Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #1
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prefolds....i want to love them, but i don't

I reach for my pockets WAY more often......it just feels like the prefold wicks the urine & they are encased in it . I do a microfiber insert with a newborn prefold as the 2nd layer to stuff the pockets...and it doesn't have that same icky "encased in urine" feel....

Is anyone with me?

2TMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prefolds....i want to love them, but i don't

I much much much preferred prefolds to pockets. But I bought my pockets in 2008 and I know they've come along way since then. I feel like I could n ever get my pockets clean, they always smelled and were a pain in the neck to strip.

My prefolds were a breeze to strip and an afternoon in the sunshine had them smelling fresh and brand new.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
2TMama (06-03-2015), ECingMama (06-03-2015), MercyInDisguise (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
I much much much preferred prefolds to pockets. But I bought my pockets in 2008 and I know they've come along way since then. I feel like I could n ever get my pockets clean, they always smelled and were a pain in the neck to strip.

My prefolds were a breeze to strip and an afternoon in the sunshine had them smelling fresh and brand new.
Me too.
The Following User Says Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
2TMama (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I cloth diapered for many years between all four kids, and honestly, I went the full gammit of my preferences.

There was a time that prefolds were my absolute die hard faves. In fact, for a time, flats was it for me.

There was also a time that I fell in love with the simplicity of pockets. And another time for fitteds.

And my fave has not always been the same for different kids at different stages.

That's why I LOVE that there are so many cd'ing systems out there.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
2TMama (06-03-2015), ECingMama (06-03-2015), houseforjoy (06-04-2015), Katigre (06-05-2015), ValiantJoy07 (06-04-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I will always love prefolds for introducing me to cloth, and for their simplicity. But other than that? They are just not my favourites I have some but will reach for pretty much everything else first.

I always struggled with pockets leaking around the leg, but I think that's because I didn't find them until the toddler stage and I needed so much padding in them it pulled away from the legs.
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
2TMama (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #6
twentysixcats
Rose Garden

twentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond repute

I tried a bunch of types of diapers, and pockets were by far my favorite. However, I have horrible water and not a great washer, so I struggled with smell in my pockets. I ended up switching to prefolds and felt that I gave them a really serious try... but ultimately I disliked them and quit cloth altogether.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
DD2 (7/2012)
DD3 (9/2014)

Last edited by twentysixcats; 06-03-2015 at 02:41 PM.
twentysixcats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twentysixcats For This Useful Post:
2TMama (06-03-2015), Quiteria (06-05-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I loved prefolds with my first. I loved fitted with snaps with her too.

I loved preemie prefolds with my second (outgrew at 5 months when he hit 10 lbs). Switched to all in ones. Trim fit but too stinky. Used anyway. Loved fitteds.

Mother ease, Sandy's. Best ever. My top choice if had to choose one.

I like that we have so many choices.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
2TMama (06-03-2015), ValiantJoy07 (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 05:40 AM   #8
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I did love my Thirsties fitted with dd1. Sadly they barely lasted to dd2 but they washed better than my pockets. The thing I don't like about prefolds are that dh more or less refuses to help with diapers when we Cd with prefolds, he finds it too complicated and cumbersome.
I haven't decided what I will do for this baby. I love the idea of diapers, having less chemicals on my kids skin... But it seems to perpetually and completely upset the delicate ecosystem that is my laundry schedule. It's not like i expect to keep up, but not drowning would be preferable.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
2TMama (06-04-2015), Quiteria (06-05-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 05:52 AM   #9
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
I cloth diapered for many years between all four kids, and honestly, I went the full gammit of my preferences.

There was a time that prefolds were my absolute die hard faves. In fact, for a time, flats was it for me.

There was also a time that I fell in love with the simplicity of pockets. And another time for fitteds.

And my fave has not always been the same for different kids at different stages.

That's why I LOVE that there are so many cd'ing systems out there.
this exactly this for me. and each time i was in love with a new way of diapering i was always convinced "this is it!! i'll never do anything else!!"

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (06-04-2015), 2TMama (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has a horrible gag reflex. He hardly ever changes diapers. I keep disposables for him.

I have to buy new diapers for this one and I am going with prefolds and duo covers. They are so much easier to care for.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #11
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute

Heather!!! I am SO out of the loop! I did not know you were expecting...so congrats!

Old 06-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #12
ShangriLewis

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. I have been quiet about it.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #13
2TMama
Rose Garden

hugs to you! How many weeks & will you/did you find out gender?

Old 06-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #14
ShangriLewis

I should be due December 16. I haven't even seen a doctor yet

Heather

The Following User Says Thank You to ShangriLewis For This Useful Post:
2TMama (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #15
AsTheDeer
Rose Blossom

AsTheDeer has disabled reputation

I love prefolds and flats in the first few weeks but after that its shaped nappies and wraps all the way. I have some pockets and all in one types but always find they need massive padding out or leak within the hour.
AsTheDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for AsTheDeer:
2TMama (06-05-2015)