Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #106
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spin off: Home school vs. public school at home

Okay, so using the birthing analogy, if someone gives birth with a midwife in a birth center, should I be concerned they are hurting my rights as a homebirther?

FWIW, I'm not disputing the fact that my dd is in a VCS connected with a charter school. Usually that is what I tell people. However, it's the attitude of homeschoolers that I'm somehow less that really gets to me. As you may have noticed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Savannah For This Useful Post:
Six Little Feet (02-11-2010)
Old 02-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #107
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
if someone gives birth with a midwife in a birth center, should I be concerned they are hurting my rights as a homebirther?
Only if there are a large number of them insisting they are homebirthing rather than birthing at a birth center.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #108
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcollins
Quote:
if someone gives birth with a midwife in a birth center, should I be concerned they are hurting my rights as a homebirther?
Only if there are a large number of them insisting they are homebirthing rather than birthing at a birth center.
exactly--OR if you live in a state where the hospitals are setting up birth centers that they regulate and control (as opposed to free standing birth centers) and presenting to the government that this is "homebirth but better"
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #109
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so as long as people around me understand very clearly that I do NOT homeschool and my dd is part of a public school system, I am not endangering the rights of homeschoolers. Is that right?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #110
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Savannah
Okay, so as long as people around me understand very clearly that I do NOT homeschool and my dd is part of a public school system, I am not endangering the rights of homeschoolers. Is that right?
I honestly don't even care what others around you think I think for me it's that each person truly embrace and own and choose whatever it is they are doing It's when those doing it start to get confused that we are going to have problems. It's when people start looking around at their options and think VC *is* homeschool, or the best homeschooling option that we're going to be in trouble. What *you* do isn't so much a threat. does that make sense?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #111
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

it does; and both the VCSs I've looked into state that many times, very clearly.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #112
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

I do get frustrated with individuals in the homeschooling community who won't embrace or support moms making all sorts of alternative choices. Our homeschool group has VCS'ers as part of it Everyone needs support!

IMO the *movement* and the *individuals* both need to be protected
Old 02-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #113
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

Quote:
IMO the *movement* and the *individuals* both need to be protected
I agree with this.

I am just confused at the labels and why someone teaching their child at home is not homeschooling if they use something like a VS or a CS. I mean they are doing all the work and more work than I, a relaxed homeschooler, am doing.

I understand the fear of more government regulation and how the governement could use those alternative school choices to bring that around. (I have that fear as well ) Maybe I am dense and am missing something in my reading through the thread. If they are teaching their child at home then why isn't it homeschooling. :/

(We are fighting the flu here so my mind isn't totally on what I am reading. I could have easily missed something or even "10 somethings". )

Feel free to visit my little nook
Old 02-19-2008, 12:33 AM   #114
AttachedMamma
Deactivated

AttachedMamma is on a distinguished road

Something worth reading that might bring some clarification.

http://www.chnow.org/id122.html
Old 02-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #115
Teacher Mom
Rose Garden

Teacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond repute

great link

Old 02-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #116
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If they are teaching their child at home then why isn't it homeschooling.
'Homeschooling' was a convenient label used to describe a level of parental autonomy and responsiblity that worked until the virual academy, etc were developed. The label was/is easy, but it was never intended to simply describe 'where' the child was being educated, but an educational experience and philosophy that is different from a charter or vs experience. By limiting the defintion, it is not intended to make any value judgement on our vs/cs sisters, only to preserve the original definition.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
Old 02-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #117
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttachedMamma
Something worth reading that might bring some clarification.
http://www.chnow.org/id122.html
From that article:
"These programs are an attempt by public educators to create publicly-funded homeschooling; the only future they lead to is government-controlled homeschooling."

Am I correct that school vouchers for homeschooling would accomplish the same thing - add the element of government funding, and the government control that goes along with it?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #118
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

Old 02-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #119
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcollins
Quote:
If they are teaching their child at home then why isn't it homeschooling.
'Homeschooling' was a convenient label used to describe a level of parental autonomy and responsiblity that worked until the virual academy, etc were developed. The label was/is easy, but it was never intended to simply describe 'where' the child was being educated, but an educational experience and philosophy that is different from a charter or vs experience. By limiting the defintion, it is not intended to make any value judgement on our vs/cs sisters, only to preserve the original definition.
This is exactly it. This is why home school has become a one word noun "homeschool". Just like, ITT Tech is a Technical School, not a university; why a distance learning course is not the same thing as "homeschooling"; etc. It's not about where you are--because homeschooling is done everywhere we are. When we are at the museum, though, I don't switch and call it "museum schooling" or at the park we're not "park schooling". Homeschooling is the experience of parental autonomy and family directed learning.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #120
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Quote:
Consider denying membership to those enrolled in a government school-at-home program . . . . Remember that “A little yeast works through the whole dough.”
Wow. While I respect the right of real homeschoolers to draw lines and make distinctions, referring to those of us outside those lines in this way--fellow believers, some of us--is extreme. And wrong.

ETA: It is the attitude encapsulated in this article that caused my dh and I to say we would never homeschool. He had a lot of exposure to it, and it's a complete turn off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Savannah For This Useful Post:
Six Little Feet (02-11-2010)
Closed Thread