Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:08 PM   #1
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Helping a teen's cycle become more regular?

My kiddo has had her cycle for about 18 months and is getting her period about every two weeks (though it has lengthen a bit recently). It doesn't bother her (no cramping or any other symptoms, really, but I've really like help her get it a bit more regular, if possible.

The two options from medical professionals seem to be BCP or "just wait, it will settle out eventually." (Dd has a complex CHD and only low-dose progesterone BCP are considered "safe" for her, but I still would like to avoid it at this time in her young life - though I realize something my be necessary later on due to the extremely high risk that would come with pregnancy for her...)

My cycle was very irregular as a teen, too, and the first couple of years I had my period every two or three weeks. The solution was to put me on birth control, which obviously worked, but, again, I want to avoid that for dd.

Any ideas of supplements that may help?

Dd already takes 6 pills 2x daily so adding something small and easy to swallow would not be a big deal. But she also has taste/texture sensitivities so anything large to swallow or a liquid that can be tasted would not work for her.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:38 PM   #2
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helping a teen's cycle become more regular?

I know of a few supplements, but I'd be worried with her heart issues because some of them have a blood thinning effect. To regulate my periods, I used evening primrose oil and a supplement called Pregnancy Prep. Funny name, I know. My other midwife had me on Vitanica's "womens phase 2." They helped a lot. You could check out the ingredients, and see if either would be an option.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 06:29 PM   #3
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I know of a few supplements, but I'd be worried with her heart issues because some of them have a blood thinning effect. To regulate my periods, I used evening primrose oil and a supplement called Pregnancy Prep. Funny name, I know. My other midwife had me on Vitanica's "womens phase 2." They helped a lot. You could check out the ingredients, and see if either would be an option.
Thanks! I'll look into them and check with her cardiologist if necessary. (She's already on a blood thinner so I'll definitely do my due diligence.)

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
Old 02-24-2024, 02:39 PM   #4
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really every 14 days? Or more like 21? 21 is in the realm of normal. My daughters and I have short cycles and we've just lived with it.

Less than 19 days and I'd probably try something. I have no idea what that might be though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2024, 09:29 PM   #5
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
Is it really every 14 days? Or more like 21? 21 is in the realm of normal. My daughters and I have short cycles and we've just lived with it.

Less than 19 days and I'd probably try something. I have no idea what that might be though.

It's been consistently 14 days. Last cycle was 17, so I'm hoping this is the beginning of the cycle getting longer, but we'll see next month.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
Old 02-26-2024, 10:57 AM   #6
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy View Post
It's been consistently 14 days. Last cycle was 17, so I'm hoping this is the beginning of the cycle getting longer, but we'll see next month.
That is incredibly short and sucky.

I hate birth control but I'd consider it for a few cycles to see if it helps.

Otherwise a good functional gynecologist might be worth paying for if you want to actually get to the root of it.

HuggaBuggaMommy (03-02-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 11:02 AM   #7
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy View Post
14 days?! Day 1-5/7 is bleeding and then she gets a 7-9 day break and it starts all over?

Oh, my. I'm so sorry.

I guess I would try progesterone cream every day (esp if the dr would be giving progesterone-only pills anyway.)

I would also ask for day 3 bloodwork, in the morning, fasted.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
heartofjoy (02-28-2024), HuggaBuggaMommy (03-02-2024)