Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute
Default order: God, husband, then kids

somebody pulled this on me this morning.

admittedly- i came from this same mindset. actually the girl who said it was from my old church.

can you give me your best concise explaination as to why this is not the right way to look at it.

when somebody counters AP with that economic explaination of 'relationships' i just go :
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
ShiriChayim
Rose Garden

Rock on!!!

ShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: order: God, husband, then kids

First of all it is very clearly extra Biblical. Any attempt at using the Bible to support this is wildly proof texted and just bizarre.

Secondly, it seems totally and completely crazy to me to place the needs of a fully grown capable self sufficient adult over the needs of the tiny helpless fully dependent baby that the two of you created. People who don't want to care for babies have no business having them. Along with that, I quite frankly lose all kinds of respect for a man who gets his wife pregnant and then whines about all of his "needs" coming first Seriously!

Finally, there is really no need to place or prioritize one family member over another. Quite frankly that's just ridiculous to even think about. Families are a unit, they work together and provide for each other. The needs of the infant certainly do NOT have to mean that anyone else is neglected, the kind of thinking sets up a completely necessary dichotomy and adversarial tug of war for the mother. People's needs get met all together. The daddy is JUST AS IMPORTANT as mommy in those times (not to mention babywearing daddy's are seriously sexy!!!!!) for that little tiny one. But that little tiny one didn't ask to be born, and it cannot feed, clothe, or change itself. Daddy can do all those things for himself.

Those times of caring for the little ones can be such beautiful moments that bond husband and wife together as they learn to be a team to care for their growing family. And let me tell you, any time I've seen my dh curled up with the baby in bed, or walking the little one who is crying at night, or doing the dishes and bringing something to drink while I nurse-in those moments my love and adoration for him just swells.
: ds15yo- the performer, ds14yo- the gamer, ds 12yo- the adventurer, and dd 10yo-the dynamo
Missing my little Malachi David and Hannah Danielle, in Jesus' arms
Check out my blog

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
*Dr Seuss*

ShiriChayim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ShiriChayim For This Useful Post:
cbmk4 (03-28-2012), Elora (03-28-2012), Elyse221 (03-28-2012), MercyInDisguise (03-28-2012), mommychem (03-28-2012), SewingGreenMama (09-30-2012), Stacy (03-29-2012), SweetCaroline (03-28-2012), Tasmanian Saint (03-30-2012), tazmom (03-28-2012), TuneMyHeart (03-28-2012), Two Little Birds (03-28-2012), Zooey (04-01-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Because it is all the same thing--it is a fool's errand to slice and dice relationships of this type into "who" is getting "what" for "why."

Who are you serving when you take care of a sick child? Jesus said if you do it to the least, you do it to him.

Who are you serving when you do something nice for your children's father?

Who was serving who when Jesus washed the disciples feet?
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (03-28-2012), Calee (03-28-2012), cbmk4 (03-28-2012), Elora (03-28-2012), Elyse221 (03-28-2012), KSL (03-28-2012), Llee (03-28-2012), MercyInDisguise (03-28-2012), SewingGreenMama (09-30-2012), ShiriChayim (03-28-2012), Stacy (03-29-2012), SweetCaroline (03-28-2012), Tasmanian Saint (03-30-2012), Two Little Birds (03-28-2012), WingsOfTheMorning (03-28-2012), Zooey (04-01-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

One of the chief texts for it is Titus 2:4, that older women should teach the young women to love their husbands and children. People take the fact husbands are listed before children to imply some sort of priority order. But I asked my Dh, who knows Greek, about it, and he said that there is no order or priority implied at all in the Greek - it means women should love their husbands, and women should love their children - no sense of one more than the other at all .

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
ClassicMom (03-28-2012), Elyse221 (03-28-2012), KSL (03-28-2012), SweetCaroline (03-28-2012), Zooey (04-01-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

My dh and I work together to meet our family's needs. Sometimes baby is in the most need, sometimes dh, sometimes me, sometimes the dog. But WE meet our FAMILY's needs. No need/desire to compete for who should come first.

(and quite frankly if it's a "Biblical" thing, then animals matter more than humans, since they were created on the same day before humans )

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
Carmen (03-28-2012), Elora (03-28-2012), Elyse221 (03-28-2012), hey mommy (03-28-2012), Joyanne (03-28-2012), LoveIsGentle (03-28-2012), SewingGreenMama (09-30-2012), SweetCaroline (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

The burden of proof is not on you to disprove a statement that she hasn't attempted to prove.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (03-28-2012), SweetCaroline (03-28-2012), Tasmanian Saint (03-30-2012), Zooey (04-01-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
eoconnel
Rose Garden

eoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond repute

That is just baloney. But I will say that I intentionally work very hard on my marriage and giving dh enough attention. Not because he comes before the kids but because we are modeling a loving relationship for our children. Though at this point in my children's lives most of that attention comes after they go to bed since they are at the ages that demand attention.
Emma (2/16/04) my Goosie Colin (12/12/05) my Monkey Max (3/2/09) my Bird
Plexus Worldwide Ambassador
Ask me how you can get healthier, lose weight and earn money with Plexus Worldwide!
eoconnel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eoconnel For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (03-28-2012), Katigre (03-28-2012), SweetCaroline (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

My most concise response is, I never read that anywhere in the Bible.
ClassicMom (03-28-2012), Elyse221 (03-28-2012), SweetCaroline (03-28-2012), Zooey (04-01-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
BlessedBlue
Rose Garden

Have you ever heard a fly roar? Listen carefully!

BlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond repute

That goes hand in hand with Jesus, Others and You

In either paradigm the server (the woman) is at the bottom of the stack.

I really think that we should Love God. And as we love God we love and serve others. Sometimes triage is necessary for prioritization.

sister to Blue-EyedLady since forever
wife to Trooper (Wounded Warrior) 3-98
Graphics designing sapphiremama to EBug 2-04, ABoo 2-06, and Goggle 8-09
BlessedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlessedBlue For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (03-28-2012), SweetCaroline (03-28-2012), The Tickle Momster (03-28-2012), Zooey (04-01-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Here is how I view it (some credit to C.S. Lewis here ) - there are different realms of love for different relationships. The love/loyalty that I have for God is not the same as the love/loyalty that I have for my husband, my children, or my friends. There are similarities to be sure but they are also different 'realms' that should not be in competition with each other . If there is competition felt then that means either I am viewing things poorly or I am prioritizing relationships poorly - giving love from one realm to another.

My ultimate loyalty and love should be toward God in the 'first love' type of sense. But that just means that I should not give anyone else the place of God in my life - idolatry is easy to fall into with any sort of relationship (easier for some people than others) and that is what to guard against.

In terms of my marriage and my children, they are different realms of love. It would be inappropriate to give my DH the love I am supposed to have for my children. In the same way, it would be unhealthy to give my children the love/loyalty that I am supposed to have for my DH.

I have seen scenarios where this is true and it's unhealthy and not right - but that doesn't mean you have to go to a hierarchy . It means you just apportion your affection/love/time/priorities into their correct spheres of influence instead.

Does that make sense? God has given me love for Him, love for my DH, and love for my children. If I love each category to the fullest in the way it is designed to be then there is no hierarchy/ranking going on b/c they're overlapping circles within my being and relationships vs. a numbered list of 1, 2, 3, etc...
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-28-2012), ClassicMom (03-28-2012), Elora (03-28-2012), Elyse221 (03-28-2012), eoconnel (03-28-2012), katiekind (03-28-2012), mommychem (03-28-2012), SewingGreenMama (09-30-2012), SweetCaroline (03-28-2012), Tasmanian Saint (03-30-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

All the law is contained in...

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

It doesn't say put your neighbor above yourself. It doesn't say put your husband above your neighbor.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (03-28-2012), katiekind (03-28-2012), Peridot (03-28-2012), Tasmanian Saint (03-30-2012), tigerlily (03-28-2012), Zooey (04-01-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
Here is how I view it (some credit to C.S. Lewis here ) - there are different realms of love for different relationships. The love/loyalty that I have for God is not the same as the love/loyalty that I have for my husband, my children, or my friends. There are similarities to be sure but they are also different 'realms' that should not be in competition with each other . If there is competition felt then that means either I am viewing things poorly or I am prioritizing relationships poorly - giving love from one realm to another.

My ultimate loyalty and love should be toward God in the 'first love' type of sense. But that just means that I should not give anyone else the place of God in my life - idolatry is easy to fall into with any sort of relationship (easier for some people than others) and that is what to guard against.

In terms of my marriage and my children, they are different realms of love. It would be inappropriate to give my DH the love I am supposed to have for my children. In the same way, it would be unhealthy to give my children the love/loyalty that I am supposed to have for my DH.

I have seen scenarios where this is true and it's unhealthy and not right - but that doesn't mean you have to go to a hierarchy . It means you just apportion your affection/love/time/priorities into their correct spheres of influence instead.

Does that make sense? God has given me love for Him, love for my DH, and love for my children. If I love each category to the fullest in the way it is designed to be then there is no hierarchy/ranking going on b/c they're overlapping circles within my being and relationships vs. a numbered list of 1, 2, 3, etc...
nice. can i copy & paste this?
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

the only biblical order is Where Jesus says the two greatest commands are first Love God, and second Love others. the others are not catagorized

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Little Forest (03-28-2012), SewingGreenMama (09-30-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
nice. can i copy & paste this?
Sure thing
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
SweetCaroline (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Seek ye FIRST the Kingdom of God and ALL THESE THINGS shall be added unto you

God FIRST, everyone and everything NEXT

If the Greatest Command is to love God and love your neighbor as yourself then it seems *if you are going to create a hierarchy* it would have to be:

GOD
All of our neighbors
Our Family

Except your family are also your neighbors because the question the parable answers is are YOU a good neighbor

So, that leads us back to First God, everyone and everything NEXT.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
ClassicMom (03-28-2012), SewingGreenMama (09-30-2012), SweetCaroline (03-28-2012), The Tickle Momster (03-28-2012)