Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #331
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommychem View Post
No wonder I'm struggling over here - plus I'm tandem nursing too. I felt much better when I was eating gobs of cashew butter, coconut oil, butter, etc. but we cut out dairy and I don't know that I made much effort to replace all the butter I used to use . I've gained weight whereas I was about your size a few months ago. Thanks!
The body often hold onto fat or puts on fat if u don't get enuf in ur diet! I'm prett sure That is the premise behind the "eat fat, lose fat" way of eating (sorry abt bad writing on iPod)

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Allison (06-03-2012), mommychem (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #332
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

i will have to psych myself up to eat aspoonful of coconut oil. ick. i hate the smell of it.
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (06-02-2012), mommychem (05-28-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #333
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

I can eat cashew butter or avocado like nobody's business...but I just can't convince myself that it's healthy to eat plain oil of any sort

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #334
Petie
Climbing Rose

Petie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasara View Post
So, I've been reading this thread and many others and I'm totally sold on the *idea* of going grain and sugar free. But, when I seriously think about it, I start to feel nauseous and want to cry. I'm hopelessly addicted to sugar and baked goods. I gave up sugar for Lent and it was awful! And, it didn't do anything to stop my sugar cravings. And, grains? No more brown rice with fake butter? No more oatmeal? (<-- seriously helps me keep up my milk supply) No more quick and easy rice pasta meals??!?

I just don't know if I could do it. I would be miserable. I have no self-control with food.
Ive found alternatives. Instead of oatmeal I use quinoa. I also use it in place of rice. Actually it is becoming one of my favorite foods. We do use wild rice as well. I haven't been able to cut out all sugar yet but we are cutting back. It is taking time but we will get there eventually. I really focus on one step at a time, replacements, cutting back, going slow. Otherwise the thought would overwhelm me.
Lala 11
Simon 8
Petie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petie For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (06-02-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #335
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

We started the whole family on GF/DF today. We actually started last evening for dinner. The kids aren't whining too bad. I've done well to stock the cabinets and fridge with stuff they like. I'm just waiting for those foods to run out or they start getting sick of eating the same thing over and over. I'm so determined to break DS2's pickiness and hoping this will help! Especially if I can get dairy out of his system which I know he has a sensitivity to.
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #336
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

I think I need a GF cookbook. I am running out of ideas. I want one that leans towards simple, whole foods. Any suggestions? So many of the recipes I'm running across seem really complicated to me and a lot of them have additives I'm not really comfortable with.
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #337
justbreathe
Deactivated

Grumpy kitten is watching you

justbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond repute

I've really been working on cutting down on grains (though I am having a bowl of GF oatmeal every few days). I'm so stinkin bloated! I can't believe how big my belly looks. Having some sharp upper abdomenal pain as well (kind of like gallbladder pain I had when pregnant but not nearly as severe). Any thoughts?
justbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #338
Stiina
Rose Garden

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not in pain, but I definitely look 5 months pregnant!!! We've been grain free for a month. I'm down 7 pounds but have this weird belly!!
So...no ideas, just commisserating
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #339
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Add me to the commiseration group. I've only been doing yoga once per week though, not really any other exercise.

I'm discouraged, y'all. I've been sabotaged again by dh... This is hard enough as it is without his support, but with him actively working against me with this, I don't know how it's going to work. He gets mad and snarky when I don't buy bread or whatever. today he asked for a list of things "you can have" for a picnic we're going to do today, and came back with "groceries for the week". I feel like a heel being upset, since he did shop - but sheesh! I would have sent him a list if I knew he was shopping for the week! He got some fruits and veggies and meat, but he also got: chips, crackers, milk, cold cereal (honey o's), corn on the cob, bread, Mac n cheese... I know it's dumb, but I feel like crying. now I'm going to have to either tell the kids "no" alllllll week, or just let them snarf up the cereal like I know they will.

Dietary things have always been a hot button for dh and I. I don't tell him what to eat while he's at work, I wish he'd just let me do my thing here at home. He cries about how fat and out of shape he feels, but it's like he's totally unwilling to change *anything*. rant over.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #340
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Could the bloating be from yeast die-off?

Jen,

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #341
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

I've been doing GAPS intro this week, just for me (kids do a GF traditional foods type diet) anyway so far I am shocked at how much of my belly fat was actually bloating and water weight. After just 4 days I can wear a size smaller pants, I also had a really weird experience with my c-section scar suddenly hurting a lot for part of a day, I think maybe things shifting around inside (it's fine now).

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #342
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post
Add me to the commiseration group. I've only been doing yoga once per week though, not really any other exercise.

I'm discouraged, y'all. I've been sabotaged again by dh... This is hard enough as it is without his support, but with him actively working against me with this, I don't know how it's going to work. He gets mad and snarky when I don't buy bread or whatever. today he asked for a list of things "you can have" for a picnic we're going to do today, and came back with "groceries for the week". I feel like a heel being upset, since he did shop - but sheesh! I would have sent him a list if I knew he was shopping for the week! He got some fruits and veggies and meat, but he also got: chips, crackers, milk, cold cereal (honey o's), corn on the cob, bread, Mac n cheese... I know it's dumb, but I feel like crying. now I'm going to have to either tell the kids "no" alllllll week, or just let them snarf up the cereal like I know they will.

Dietary things have always been a hot button for dh and I. I don't tell him what to eat while he's at work, I wish he'd just let me do my thing here at home. He cries about how fat and out of shape he feels, but it's like he's totally unwilling to change *anything*. rant over.
dh and i struggle with food too..though he complains about being to skinny. i buy him his canned beans, ww mac n cheese, and organic grassfed meat & try not to think about it too much. I load the kids with as much healthy food as I can before dinner...though dh is at least on the same page (usually ) with telling them veggies before mac n cheese or whatever. I also have started making healthy chocolate cake...that helps a ton

and I still get bloated a lot at night for some reason...usually when I'm working.

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #343
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Dd took a pic of me walking with the youngest tonight, and I look at least 4-5 months pregnant.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #344
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post
Dd took a pic of me walking with the youngest tonight, and I look at least 4-5 months pregnant.
Dude, me too. I actually poas twice because AF was a few days late and my tummy was so big. False alarm though . Still, I don't know what the deal is.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #345
Stiina
Rose Garden

we could have our very own bump parade!!!

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

i was thinking maybe because I'm not fully paleo? not dairy free, and still eat potatoes...but jen you are fully dedicated, right??

I just started taking clay...maybe that'll help??