Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 09-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute
Default A radical idea - viewing kids as babies till 5

I don't know if I have stated this outright before, but after learning that the Biblical Hebrew concept of an infant is up till age 5 I have made a conscious effort to expect less of my children and avoid "you ought to know better". While I would never tell my children they are babies and I encourage their growing up, it is amazing how much more smoothly life runs when I realize just how young even a 4 year old is.

I find it fascinating that National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) calls children "Young children" till they reach 8 and essentially asserts that we should treat 5-6-7 year olds as we do preschoolers. The funny thing is that at 8, I declared myself a big kid without knowing that someone else already defined that age as a cut off.

So going a step further I see that acknowledging them at 4 as really still being babyish helps me show much more grace and reminds me to not have them grow up as fast. And for some reason at 5 they almost instantly gain the maturity of a "young child."

(That is why I had the chorus of "Let Them Be Little" in my siggy for a long time.)

Anyway I wanted to share some reasons I found viewing them as babies (but not treating them like babies) to be helpful:

* I do not get angry at potty accidents
* I expect that there will be messes and food dropped
* I realize that they need help with anything that requires responsibility (like cleaning up)
* I don't get as frustrated with tears and tantrums
* I allow them to be clingy when they need to be
* I don't feel the need to push them to their own bed if they are not ready
* I remember that they cannot do a lot of things and I cant get frustrated for them needing assistance
* I don't criticise them for being selfish - they will grow out of it
* I don't worry about their lack of independence
* I don't care if they don't want to engage in activities without a parent there

I could go on.

And while maturity is gradual I think there is also some validity of not expecting real maturity to emerge till 13. This is another milestone age I have seen (in others' kids ) as being significant.

(Edit: My oldest will be thirteen soon and I am seeing that difference emerge.)

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things

Last edited by Heather Micaela; 05-08-2014 at 12:04 AM. Reason: update sort of
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 66 Users Say Thank You to Heather Micaela For This Useful Post:
Aisling (09-25-2010), amanda1 (01-14-2012), Annalou (07-26-2012), Aurian (01-15-2010), Bearscatsandkumquats (01-15-2014), believer (03-10-2011), CarissaJoy (03-26-2010), Chaos Coordinator (12-14-2009), delightedmama (07-24-2010), Delyrics (02-26-2014), Desert Rose (10-16-2010), Elora (10-12-2010), Fallin2Grace (04-22-2013), gpsings (10-25-2010), gracechelle (02-10-2012), GraemesMomma (05-05-2013), GranolanRainbows (03-17-2010), HadassahSukkot (07-18-2013), heartofjoy (07-14-2009), Hopetobe (08-12-2012), jmom1984 (07-26-2011), joyinthejourney (07-21-2010), kiloyd (10-18-2014), knitlove (07-04-2009), Learnin'2B (07-28-2009), Llee (07-27-2009), Luciola (07-02-2013), mamafulks (04-08-2014), MamaNata (05-02-2017), MariJo7 (10-09-2014), MaryPoppinsIAin't (05-07-2012), Mokek Kwe (01-10-2010), MrsPope86 (05-16-2013), phathui5 (07-07-2009), Pragmatist (09-17-2014), reb (07-27-2013), Redeemed (07-13-2009), relizabeth (07-14-2009), ropleymama (07-09-2010), SewingGreenMama (06-02-2012), Sihaya48 (07-03-2009), Starfox (07-03-2009), thankfulheart (12-28-2010), Virginia (05-12-2011), Whirlwind (06-16-2012), Yasheluah (09-21-2014)
The Following User Says they are praying for Heather Micaela:
Old 09-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A radical idea - viewing kids as babies till 5

wow, thank you so much for that post!
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute

Serafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
emmalouise
Deactivated

emmalouise is a name known to allemmalouise is a name known to allemmalouise is a name known to allemmalouise is a name known to allemmalouise is a name known to allemmalouise is a name known to allemmalouise is a name known to all

Thank you for this post, Heather!!
emmalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

love it!
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation

Thank you so much...I plan to come back to this.

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

You are welcome and thanks for the nice words.
(I actually expected criticism )

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Old 09-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
Teribear
Deactivated

Teribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond repute

Extremely insightful. Fits right in with what I believe about delayed academics and unschooling as well.
Teribear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teribear For This Useful Post:
Annalou (07-26-2012), Hannah Elise (07-20-2014), J3K (05-15-2012)
Old 09-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

My good friend and I were just talking about this recently (the Jewish idea of "infants" being birth to five).

Puts a new frame on your parenting, I think.

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zak For This Useful Post:
Annalou (07-26-2012), kiloyd (10-18-2014)
Old 09-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teribear
Fits right in with what I believe about delayed academics and unschooling as well.
Absolutely

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Old 09-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #11
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

I love it. And it's hard for me to remember, so I"m glad for the reminder.

It's in line with Waldorf beliefs too, where the child is seen as in a dreamy, childlike phase until the loss of their baby teeth, which happens around the age of 6-7. At that point, there are certain brain developments happening that signal their readiness to begin schooling.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Herbwifemama For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-18-2014), reb (07-27-2013)
Old 09-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

I've found this to be very helpful for me as well - although, personally, I noticed a HUGE difference in maturity at 7. It was as if a switch flipped with my older two on their 7th birthday.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
Dana Joy
Deactivated

AKA "Mommy Piadosa" or on FB "PunkHippyMommy"

Dana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond repute

I've thought this way ever since I got my credential in early childhood- it was ages 0 to 6 years.
Dana Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
lettucebabies

wow thank you... very true!!

any links/starting places to study the hebrew word for child/infant etc????
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Annalou (07-26-2012), Earthylady (07-27-2013), Mama2MeadowRose (02-18-2013)
Old 09-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #15
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I know someone has a link to Samuel Martin's book "Spare the Rod"--I think it's posted in GD

I talk about this more in my second book Grace-Based Living

I do find it much more loving to think of my children as "babies" until age 6. 5 is a great big transition from preschooler to kid and then there is a huge maturity surge with my children around age 8 (they change at 7 but not as much as at 8 )
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (08-12-2012), kiloyd (10-18-2014)