Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #16
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Right" way to fold towels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
Since we have so many in a bathroom, we have had to replace the standard rack with hooks. But, that would make sense otherwise.

"Right" is tongue-in-cheek, because I read elsewhere something about towels being folded in the "wrong" way.
They are the wrong way when they are sloppy.

Other than that, I think there are multiple folds that are "right."
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #17
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithHopeLove View Post
I grew up folding them in quarters, and then learned from babysitting that it wasn't "the right way". So when I had my own household, I folded in thirds lengthwise, then in half and half again. Lowly rag towels were folded in quarters to make it easy to distinguish them. And now I live in a house where nothing will fit in the linen closet that way, so I'm folding beach towels and rag towels completely differently, and giggling that I was ever so caught up in a "right way".
I was taught the "right way" as the thirds, then half then half. That is how we did it in a military home and I'm guessing that's a military thing.

But we've also lived in homes that storage would not accommodate this folding. So we adapted.

Now I'm just happy if whoever is putting them away doesn't wad them up and stuff them in the cabinet :P
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
emerald (11-24-2015), FaithHopeLove (11-23-2015), Michele123 (11-23-2015), mommylove (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #18
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Lengthwise in thirds.
Then in half, and half again.

I do it this way because the towel can go right from the shelf onto a towel bar and look wonderful. Also, if you have monogrammed towels, this automatically centers the monogram and allows it to show when hung.

Wash cloths I fold in half once. I grew up folding them in quarters but I think it's easier to store them just in half. Then I can hang the wash cloth right over the nicely hung towel and it looks very nice, imo.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #19
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Lengthwise in thirds.
Then in half, and half again.

I do it this way because the towel can go right from the shelf onto a towel bar and look wonderful. Also, if you have monogrammed towels, this automatically centers the monogram and allows it to show when hung.

Wash cloths I fold in half once. I grew up folding them in quarters but I think it's easier to store them just in half. Then I can hang the wash cloth right over the nicely hung towel and it looks very nice, imo.
Can you do this fold in the air or do you have to have a folding surface?
Old 11-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #20
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I can do it in the air.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #21
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

http://coderedhat.com/how-fold-towels/

The pictures prove there's a right and wrong way
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #22
ECingMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I can do it in the air.
I might try it. It's not *my* way, but I'd like to have at least two ways. We don't hang folded towels over the bar once they've been used. Mine go on a hook.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
http://coderedhat.com/how-fold-towels/

The pictures prove there's a right and wrong way
Yes, properly folded towels make me so happy.

An organized pantry makes me happy too. (Sleeping with the Enemy, anyone?) (that cupboard scene?! ) (He's creepy in every other way, but I like his cupboard skills.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
bananacake (11-25-2015), Virginia (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #23
Kirkie
Rose Bouquet

Kirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to all

Last edited by Kirkie; 01-20-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #24
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute

We only hang our towels in the open thirds fold before they are used. After that, one goes open over the shower rod and the other open on the towel bar over the heater vent. Elsewise, they sour. IOW, they are only hung all pretty like for a couple of hours every time I change the towels, which is about once a week.

There's a whole 'nother or two!
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #25
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Once they're used, our towels don't get folded either, otherwise they won't dry. But I always try to keep clean, folded towels on the towel bar. Used towels are typically hung over the shower curtain bar to dry.

That reminds me, I need to get on DH to get new towel bars. I don't like the ones that came with this house.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #26
BelovedDaughter
Climbing Rose

BelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant futureBelovedDaughter has a brilliant future

I fold in half lengthwise, then thirds if I'm putting them on a shelf. If I'm putting them in a basket in my bathroom, they get rolled up.

Married in 2010 to programmer hubby
Momma to A since 5/19/14

BelovedDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #27
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I have done different ways, but for now they are in thirds lengthwise and then rolled up like sushi. That just how they fit best in the drawer I store them in.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #28
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Towels are used once in our house due to recurrent yeast. I fold them into quarters because it's quick. Wrinkles in towels is irrelevant so arguably folding them is a waste of time. I don't fold socks or underwear.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #29
ECingMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator View Post
I don't fold socks or underwear.
Seriously. Who does that?

spin off?

j/k

My mom and dad both fold their underwear.

I fold DH's boxers in half.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #30
Kirkie
Rose Bouquet

Kirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to all

Last edited by Kirkie; 01-20-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote