Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:54 AM   #1
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation
Default Any recomendations for a decent Vacuum cleaner? Needs to be under $200

The title says it all....

We more than likely need to buy a new vacuum cleaner but are on a very tight budget. TIA

Feel free to visit my little nook
Peaceful Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any recomendations for a decent Vacuum cleaner? Needs to be under $200

Love our Shark vacuum. I'd look for gently used vacuums on craigslist too.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Peaceful Meadows (07-07-2014), Soliloquy (07-07-2014), TenderLovingWillow (07-10-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any recomendations for a decent Vacuum cleaner? Needs to be under $200

We have REALLY liked our Shark as well and it gets a lot of use. We went to buy the standard lift away on sale at Sears but they were out and gave us this upgrade same price http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Navigato...s=shark+vacuum

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Peaceful Meadows (07-07-2014), Soliloquy (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #4
staceylayne
Rose Garden

Hopeful.

staceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond repute

Joyful momma to:

B - 7.5, my pensive planner
D - 5.5, my spunky sunshine
C - 3.5, my cuddly cutie

And baby girl A, born April 28!
Why, yes, I am ENFP

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:17-18
staceylayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Our Bissell still has great suction after so many years that maybe I shouldn't recommend it anymore because companies can change so much since I last bought a vacuum cleaner.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Peaceful Meadows (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I am in love with my dyson. I got it for under $200 on a woot deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Any recomendations for a decent Vacuum cleaner? Needs to be under $200

I absolutely LOVE my Shark vacuum. We read hundreds of reviews and asked just about everyone we know. While we did talk to people who absolutely loved their Dyson, I also talked to people who hated them, returned 2 in a year's time, etc. It seems their quality is either great or horrible.

I have yet to talk to someone that wasn't overwhelming impressed with their Shark vacuum.

I have this one, which is a little over your price range http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shark-Rot...V501/203631068 but, honestly, it has a feature I don't even need. I don't use the "lift away" feature because the vacuum is so ergonomically designed, compact, and light that I just pick the thing up to vacuum my stairs. I vacuum my stairs about 3x per week since I got this. Shark has vacuums for $199 and less. This one has excellent reviews and is only $128.99, free shipping http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shark-Nav...V22L/202569159.

The suction is AMAZING. I was truly disgusted when I vacuumed my carpet with my former vacuum (a $350 Riccar) and then with my Shark and I saw how much dust and dog hair my old vacuum left behind.

The dust cannister is SEALED. You typically only find that in very pricey vacuums like Miele. I take my dust cannister outside to empty it. In most bagless vacuums, you are exposed to dust when emptying. Also, the HEPA filters are only so effective when other parts of the bag/cannister aren't sealed.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (07-16-2014), Peaceful Meadows (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
AugustMama
Climbing Rose

AugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to behold

Another Shark fan!
my adorable dear son born 9/14/07
our second girl, our little joy born at home 1/28/11
AugustMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AugustMama For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
LikeQuietDreams
Rose Trellis

fka Sweetbelly :)

LikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond repute

Shark!

Wifey to my always thinking, sarcastic, librarian, INFJ hubby. (10/2007) "So, I've been thinking..."
Loving mama to my energetic, compassionate, and BIG feelings having ds "I" (01/2009) "You're going to be okay, little plant."
and my easy-going though slightly demanding, tough bulldozer, ds "H". (09/2011) "Hey! Hey! HEEEY!"

I'm blogging!
LikeQuietDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LikeQuietDreams For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
staceylayne
Rose Garden

Hopeful.

staceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond repute

Well, how's that for a consensus? Guess I'll be taking a look at some Shark vacs.

Joyful momma to:

B - 7.5, my pensive planner
D - 5.5, my spunky sunshine
C - 3.5, my cuddly cutie

And baby girl A, born April 28!
Why, yes, I am ENFP

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:17-18
staceylayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to staceylayne For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Dyson
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (07-08-2014), Peaceful Meadows (07-07-2014), Pragmatist (07-16-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

we desperately need something small, lightweight but can handle all the hair that all us girls shed. . .

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #13
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceylayne View Post
Well, how's that for a consensus? Guess I'll be taking a look at some Shark vacs.
me, too.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeas View Post
we desperately need something small, lightweight but can handle all the hair that all us girls shed. . .
Ask the Shark ladies...I bet Sharks gobble up that hair.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Thanks so much, ladies!

Feel free to visit my little nook
Peaceful Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peaceful Meadows For This Useful Post:
staceylayne (07-07-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #14
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Meadows View Post
Ask the Shark ladies...I bet Sharks gobble up that hair.
That's what I'm wondering, though one of the smaller ones, one of the bad reviews specifically said it was because the pet hair got stuck around the bar, which has been my one complaint about my (10 yr old) Dyson (and now, it's just too big, we only have carpet in the girls' room and school room, and no closet space up there to store that large of a vacuum, so we've just been using a little rechargable stick vac I bought at Aldi's but it's . . . not great.

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
Peaceful Meadows (07-09-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #15
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Dog hair or human hair? Long human hair will coil around the roller of any vacuum. AFA pet hair, I have a 100 lb dog and 2 cats. My Shark gets it up great.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Peaceful Meadows (07-09-2014)