Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 08-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you let your kids snack after supper?

3 year old ussualy no but that because she is general put to be with in about an hour of dinner and she still nurses to bed (so maybe she does get a snack) in general its just not an issue..

10 year old she can get something if she is hungry me allowing something "desert or snacky" versus something more "healthy" depends on how well she ate dinner.

Both up late a snack ussually comes into play...
Old 08-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
Rose5000
Climbing Rose

Rose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame06 View Post
My children get a small snack every night before bed.

Is it an issue of what he wants to snack on? Can he have healthy choices ie: veggies or fruits or cheese?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. It's my dh's belief that a) ds has to learn to eat more food at dinner time; feeding him a snack 2 hrs later will just reinforce the habit of not eating enough at 6pm. b) our bellies should be empty for a couple hours before bed for digestive purposes. c) he has put thoughts in son's head that "certain foods will give you bad dreams".

On the last one, he used to say things like pizza or spicy foods could do that-which is true-dh & ds have experienced this....but lately he must be telling son that ANY food after 8pm?9pm? will give him bad dreams.....because ds keeps asking me "mom, will jello at this time give me bad dreams?" "will such and such food do so?"

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciousmomma View Post
If they are hungry, my kids eat a bedtime snack.
good. glad to hear it. what types of food do they get then?
Rose5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
phathui5
Rose Bouquet

Midwife, Mom of Five

phathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to all

I'm a fan of yogurt or string cheese before bed.
phathui5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE

good. glad to hear it. what types of food do they get then?[/QUOTE]

I like to do a carb and fat for a bedtime snack. I have to do this with me or my blood sugars eaither plummet in the night or I get a huge rise the the early AM.
apple with some peanut butter
slice pears and some string cheese
cereal and milk (lousy breakfast but good before bed "meal"
a baked good (muffin or toast with some butter ect)
Old 08-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #20
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but it has to be a fruit or veggie. They can have yogurt if they're starving.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot imagine going to bed w/out a crunchy snack, usually popcorn, or apples, but in a pinch crackers or carrots. Therefore, one of my children also has a "must have crunchy before can go to sleep" and the other one sometimes wants half a pb sandwich and many times, not.

I think for those of us who want a crunchy snack before bed, that it's a sensory thing. I'm personally OK with it, none of us are overweight or need to watch caloric intake or anything.

I don't really restrict food, but the kids usually do ask for food, and we discuss what might be best at that time. If I"m gone, I usually tell them what 4 or 5 items may be eaten.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
summertimeshine

DS and DH are the same...if there is any sort of gap between bedtime and dinner - both require dinner and a snack... or they do not sleep well.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
jenn3514
Rose Garden

Be assured, God is in the details.

jenn3514 has disabled reputation

Ideally we eat between 5 and 6. Bedtime is between 9 and 10, breakfast between 8 and 9. So yes, my kids have a snack before bed. We usually will have a fruit/veggie smoothie with peanut butter or coconut oil thrown in. Sometimes cheese and fruit, nut butter, or plain yogurt with fruit and honey. If we eat later than normal, they will eat the snack food around dinner time. Because of struggles I have had with eating, I would rather teach them to listen to their bodies telling them they are full or hungry than stuff them at dinner so they aren't hungry toward bedtime. IME, asking my kids to go from dinner until breakfast the next day is almost a sure way for at least one of them to wake up during the night with a head ache or bellyache. They are actually hungry.
jenn3514 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jenn3514 For This Useful Post:
Contented in FL (10-23-2014), DancingWithElves (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #24
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn3514 View Post
Ideally we eat between 5 and 6. Bedtime is between 9 and 10, breakfast between 8 and 9. So yes, my kids have a snack before bed. We usually will have a fruit/veggie smoothie with peanut butter or coconut oil thrown in. Sometimes cheese and fruit, nut butter, or plain yogurt with fruit and honey. If we eat later than normal, they will eat the snack food around dinner time. Because of struggles I have had with eating, I would rather teach them to listen to their bodies telling them they are full or hungry than stuff them at dinner so they aren't hungry toward bedtime. IME, asking my kids to go from dinner until breakfast the next day is almost a sure way for at least one of them to wake up during the night with a head ache or bellyache. They are actually hungry.
I'm an adult. And there is no way that I'd feel alright not eating from 6 pm to 8 am. No way! And I"m sure my kids wouldn't. We go to bed a bit later and are up earlier, so we do tend to eat a second "something" not sure if it's a meal or snack or something in between , a bit later than most people's "dinners". They also eat when get home from school, so that's kind of a "dinner" as well. Basically, they eat around 4:30 and again around 7:30-8 pm. that seems reasonable to me.
ChristmasGirl (08-02-2013), Rabbit (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
Iarwain
Rose Garden

Iarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond repute

Some kids' metabolism will burn off a good meal that quickly and it is healthier not to teach them to stuff themselves at mealtime because that can mean ignoring the body's hungry/full signals which is bad news down the line. It's especially true that a child who is growing quickly may need a snack in between. My teens have gone through phases where they'd eat dinner, have a snack before bed, and still wake up starving in the middle of the night and need another snack to get them through until morning. None of them are overweight and some are very thin. I prefer protein foods for a late night snack because I think it sticks with them longer.
The Mad Scientist - 18
Princess - 15
Lemur - 12
Noodle - 9
... and little miss Rosebud - age 6
Iarwain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iarwain For This Useful Post:
DancingWithElves (08-02-2013), jenn3514 (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #26
jenn3514
Rose Garden

Be assured, God is in the details.

jenn3514 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
I'm an adult. And there is no way that I'd feel alright not eating from 6 pm to 8 am. No way!.
Exactly. That's why I feed them. I should add that we usually throw oatmeal or chia into the smoothie, by the time it's done, it could qualify as a meal. As for breakfast, they can eat earlier, none of them like to eat as soon as they get up. One more reason I like them to eat before bed.
jenn3514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
itzj
Rose Trellis

itzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond repute

We eat a late dinner, usually 7:30. We go to bed late too. So we don't do a snack.

I think it's more important that he learns to not overeat. He should stop eating dinner when he isn't hungry, not stuff himself in anticipation of having to tank up. A healthy snack would be better than overeating and getting indigestion.

and tiny turtle DS 2012
itzj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itzj For This Useful Post:
bliss (08-02-2013), Rabbit (08-02-2013), Rose5000 (06-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #28
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting about the crunchy before bed urge, cuz when they do ask late I usually offer carrots or almonds. Veggie or protein, nothing even naturally sweet. (My kids would eat fruit all day & night if I let them)

Last edited by SamRose; 08-02-2013 at 02:55 PM.
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #29
bolt.
Rose Trellis

bolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond repute

I allow (and sometimes provide) a healthy evening snack when my kids are up for more than a couple of hours after supper time -- but that does not mean "snack food".

We have "anytime foods" which are available during the evening, and most often the snack is from that list. Sometimes I prepare something nutritious, and occasionally I opt for a family treat.

Anytime foods:
- Fruit or veggies that are already clean and require no parent prep
- Mini-wheats cereal (up to 8 pieces)
- Triscuit crackers (up to 4 pieces)
- Bread or Toast (with a spread)
- Cheese
- Milk
- Nuts or seeds (quantity limited to a tiny saucer)
- Dry fruit (quantity limited to a tiny saucer)

Pam, 35 yo
Christian for 20 y
Married for 15 y
Mother to "J" 8 yo, and "M" 5 yo
INTJ, DYT 4, Canadian
1 more class until I'm done at Seminary
Adjunct Faculty at a Bible College
bolt. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bolt. For This Useful Post:
Contented in FL (10-23-2014), MercyInDisguise (08-03-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #30
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

Dinner is anywhere between 6-7PM,depending on husband's overtime so sometimes we do popcorn before bed.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote