Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #16
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12-12-12 project (minimalism/decluttering related)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord View Post
I was just over in the capsule wardrobe thread and thinking I might combine these ideas....I like the idea of just putting it away for long enough to test it out without getting rid of it permanently....
Yes, this is really helping me! I thought I was already pretty decluttered, but I can get rid of a lot more if I know it's not a permanent commitment.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #17
derdsgirl
Rose Trellis

derdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond repute

I want to play along, but I need to think about what to do. We already live pretty minimalistic, but need to re-focus a bit. Most of our day-to-day things already are less than 12 items in a category.

The thing I want to do most, is to get rid of baby/toddler clothes. I am so hesitant. What if we have another? And what if getting rid of them invokes Murphy's Law and I become pregnant? We aren't looking to have another right now, but we definitely haven't decided we are not having any more. But these clothes overrun our closets upstairs, we only have about 1000 square feet and have sizes 0-3T in both boys and girls clothes, full wardrobes. They are already sorted and folded (for the most part) in boxes in our closets, but it still takes up SO much space since these are shallow closets. Maybe I should just pare down to 12 items in each size?

Anyway, I know I want to work on that, but I'm not sure about the rest.
derdsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to derdsgirl For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (09-26-2014), bentlaj11 (09-26-2014), ECingMama (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #18
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking about that as well. I have cloth diapers from newborn to toddler plus covers, girls' 0-3T and boys' 0-18 months, plus maternity clothes, baby carriers, and baby blankets, snow suits, baby toys and other newborn stuff. All in all I have about 11 large plastic boxes of baby stuff (and I call myself a minimalist!) that I could get rid of. My sister is having a baby boy so I might be able to get rid of stuff that way. But I don't know if we'll have another. Right now I don't want another baby ever but we all know how that can change on a dime.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 09-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #19
KSM
Seedling Rose

KSM is on a distinguished road

Here's both my boys' rooms. They're pretty minimalist.
The little boys' room:

Big boy's room:
KSM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KSM For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (10-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #20
Aerynne
Rose Garden

nice!

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
KSM (09-26-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #21
keepinghome
Rose Bush

keepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the rough

Subbing to come back and read responses. Love this idea!
and Titus born Dec 2011
keepinghome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keepinghome For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (09-28-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #22
Aerynne
Rose Garden

More categories today:

Toys (general possession toys- each child still has some of their own toys)

Little People
trains
magformers
toy kitchen and food
little toy animals
wooden rainbow
Bunny's toy mower
toy construction vehicles
stuffed animals
dolls + clothes (generally one per person, but Dees has 2 she loves)
dress-ups

12 Board Games (I cheated a little because we also have 4 card games)

Hisss
Connect 4
Camps
Sequence 4 Kids
Chess
Made for Trade
Boggle
Blokus
Upwords
Labyrinth
Mancala

12 puzzles

12 piece- pets, farm, ocean (this is a four in one)
35-piece princess
1 wooden animal puzzle
69-piece USA
100 piece animals
200 piece savannah
300 piece ocean
500 piece farm (which we will trade out for Christmas puzzle in Dec)

12 Kids' Art Supplies

crayons
colored pencils
white paper
sketch paper
colored cardstock
glue (I cheated a little- we have a few kinds of glue)
play dough plus accessories
watercolor paints
stickers
clear contact paper
coffee filters
markers

12 office supplies

hole punchers(cheated a little-3 hole punch, 1 hole, and 2 shape punches)
stapler plus staples plus staple remover (is that cheating?)
ball point pens
permanent markers
tape (packing tape and scotch tape)
scissors
envelopes
tinies (this is cheating- this is paper clips, binder clips, thumbtacks, etc)
index cards
labels
stationery
regular pencils

So now we're up to

kitchen utensils
board books
clothes (me plus kids)
office supplies
puzzles
board games
toys
bath towels
art supplies

Only 3 categories to go. Or I guess I can do more if I want.

So far I am not missing anything.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (09-29-2014), derdsgirl (09-30-2014), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (10-27-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #23
tessiemae
Rose Bouquet

tessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud of

I feel like I could be on a hoarders TV show or something. How are you so disciplined about paring down your clothes? What about saving toys for future grandchildren?

Your whole process is really impressive. I just feel like I'm very, very far down the rabbit hole.

peace,
tessiemae
tessiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #24
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

Are you still working on this? How are things going? I'm working on the removing some things from our house and found myself wondering if I could use the same item for beach bucket, easter basket AND trick or treat bucket. I think I can!

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #25
tessiemae
Rose Bouquet

tessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud of

Thank you to KSM for the photos! Wow, I am truly impressed. I'm also so far off of where you are. Perhaps I am inhabiting a different planet. My husband tells me that it's normal for people to crawl over all of their stuff in the basement to get to what they want. He says I have unrealistic expectations. Maybe I do. Maybe we're both too cluttery for words. I'm wondering what your husbands think of decluttering and if they are cluttery or neat and stream-lined themselves.

peace,
tessiemae
tessiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #26
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowermom View Post
Are you still working on this? How are things going? I'm working on the removing some things from our house and found myself wondering if I could use the same item for beach bucket, easter basket AND trick or treat bucket. I think I can!
I am still working on this, if you call working on it the fact that our stuff is still put away. I really am still loving it! Cooking and doing dishes are easier and I'm not missing much at all. Clothing and laundry are easier, too, and there are fewer messes in the playroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessiemae View Post
My husband tells me that it's normal for people to crawl over all of their stuff in the basement to get to what they want. He says I have unrealistic expectations. Maybe I do. Maybe we're both too cluttery for words. I'm wondering what your husbands think of decluttering and if they are cluttery or neat and stream-lined themselves.
It may or may not be normal to crawl over all the stuff in the basement but I would say it's certainly not desirable. We don't really have a basement so we store things along all the walls of the garage and it has to be neat to be accessible and for us to be able to park a vehicle in there. My husband is very glad about the decluttering for the most part. He didn't like the 12 kitchen things experiment at first but he's adjusted. My dh is not too much of a packrat. He has his things that I know just have to stay (some books- not a huge number, and his baseball cards and superman comics from childhood) and he owns more clothing than I do by a long shot and always has, but he's definitely more of a minimalist than many. He's more limited by space and money, though- he likes to ride his bicycle but we have neither the space nor the money for the three different bikes he wishes he had. So we have that on our side as well.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Carini (11-09-2014), tessiemae (11-10-2014), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #27
Aerynne
Rose Garden

The 12 weeks are over and I really don't even want much of what I put away.

I did get the kitchen utensils box out. I put about five things back in my kitchen drawers, put a plastic shoebox of "specialty" cooking items in a closet in my kitchen (my cake decorating stuff, sushi-making stuff, etc), and got rid of another box the same size of stuff I didn't want.

For toys I got out ds' toy tools and that is it. AFAIC the rest of it can stay out there, though I do feel some obligation to go through it and actually declutter some of it and not just leave it in boxes. The clothes I don't miss at all, not for me and not for my kids. In October we traded the shorts for pants, and ds traded his space pj's for polar bear pj's (I decided to allow limited trades as long as the number stayed the same)

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Carini (12-14-2014), sunflowermom (12-14-2014), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #28
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12-12-12 project (minimalism/decluttering related)final update post 26

That's impressive, Erin. It sounds like your experiment worked for your family.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (12-14-2014), sunflowermom (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #29
Carini
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

If you don't stop naming nuts....

Carini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12-12-12 project (minimalism/decluttering related)final update post 26

I'm going to try and do this after the new year.

ISTJ
Wife to J - 2004
Doops - 10/2010
Sweetie Girl - 7/2014

Carini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carini For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #30
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

That's awesome! We are working on decluttering over here too, but not quite to that extent. It's great to hear of your success! Thanks for the encouragement!

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunflowermom For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (12-14-2014)