Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decluttering thread? Challenge? Accountability?

Anyone interested in making lists/challenges? Accountability?

We need to sell our house in spring - we’ve been here for over 16 years and need some drastic purging. Over the years we’ve done some but more maintenance than severe cleanouts.

We have to make progress a little at our time due to health issues...

So anyone want to make lists? Cheer each other on

This week we:
Filled our garbage and area around the garbage bins before the garbage men came and after
Dropped two loads at goodwill (the back of our vehicle was full w seats down)

I’d like to do that and more weekly.
We r not going room to room. But I may change my approach. Both my dh and I are unemployed so we r doing things together and the kids are helping too.

I think I need more specific goals
If you join me, how will you proceed? A todo list? Room to room?

So far we’ve started w the worse areas first (like our hot spots.) just the hot spots have caused that much junk - partially because our den closet and built in bookshelves were a dumping ground but now that those are more in control
I’m
Considering a systemic approach.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (01-01-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #2
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation
Default Re: Decluttering thread? Challenge? Accountability?

I need to do this. At the moment I am going to focus on solving organizational issues. To get started I n Ed to tackle the small art cabinet and sort supplies to store them more efficiently than under the piano.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I'll join.

I like to go room to room, but it often turns into more of a "peeling layers off an onion" approach. Even if I start with clearing my hot spots, they soon get filled again as I process more stuff.

I want to start by finishing my two ds's bedrooms before they go back to school in about a week. I've already worked with both boys to start the process, but now they each have about two-three boxes of clutter to go through, and I should probably help them organize their clothes drawers again.

While the kids have been home on Christmas break I've also purged some Christmas decorations (water damage and dead light bulb strands ). I want to make sure everything goes away this year in an organized way, and will be stored in a dry spot.

This is where the domino effect needs to happen. I want to store Christmas decorations in an attic space that will need to be reorganized. There is a large space in the attic that currently has building materials such as extra carpet pieces that should be cleaned out (we no longer have that carpet!). I also have boxes of teaching stuff from when I quit working in a classroom 15 years ago. I'm pretty sure I can let some of that stuff go.

In a nutshell:
-finish decluttering boys' bedrooms
-declutter and reorganize attic space
-store Christmas decorations in a safe, accessible place
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (01-01-2018), tempus vernum (12-31-2017), WanderingJuniper (01-01-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I can totally relate to the onion principle! And the domino effect.

Deciding where to put things, if we need them at all, and then what to do with them if I decide we want to keep them seem to be the toughest part for me. If it is out in a pile, chances are it is because I didn't have a good place to put it. We have no storage.

For specific goals....We got rid of 1000 things a few months ago. I set a challenge, printed off a grid that the family could color in squares
as we went, and then we celebrated with a big family outing when it was finished. The family has never been so involved in the process!
We are in the second layer of the onion now, I guess. We are doing it again with just 500 items. Anyway, that might be fun for your family. I don't tend to see progress well, so if I start doubting progress, the family can point to that, and we know we have accomplished something.

A Slob Comes Clean (Dana White, the homemaking blogger) has been helpful to me with decluttering. Her podcasts are the best! They are great to listen to while cleaning or decluttering. Her two questions have helped a lot. There are only two questions, not like 10.

I am still thinking about my particular plan of attack. I am thinking that I will try a combination of room by room and category by category.
Honestly, right now, books and school stuff is the most difficult because we never really figured out what do with all that stuff when my MIL moved into what was our school room. It needs to be dealt with the most, but it feels impossible because I just don't know what to do with all the things we are not currently using but I want to keep.

Anyway, I am definitely with you all and will cheer you on!

Oh, I'd love to post pictures, but I don't know how. How to do that?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 12-31-2017 at 07:16 PM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (01-01-2018), tempus vernum (12-31-2017), WanderingJuniper (01-01-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Amy, I love the idea of setting a number Goal but we r throwing things away so fast I’m not sure how we’d count. I am challengiNgthe kids to do 1-3 things/ week to improve their bedrooms. When February hits I’m hopeful about 00% of the house will be ready for painting/ touchups ups. But I imagine kids will need some help!!

I think I decided on setting two goals/ week for the house for the mo th of January exc I have to keep spending about 1 hr/week in our den (our homeschool stuff and books and games are all in there and it’s the biggest project besides the basement- dh is mostly handling the basement and garage and helping me with everything else). I’m going to use this as my checklist.

Week of jan 1
bathrooms ready for painting / touchups to sell (declutter)
1 downstairs
2 upstairs
(Extra hour in den)

Week of Jan 8
1- get family room ready for painting/ touchups
2 - linen closet
(Extra hour in den)

Week of Jan 15
1 my closets
2 my dresser
(Extra hour in den)

Week of Jan 22
1 kitchen — area to right of sink
2 kitchen area to Left of sink and under sink
(Extra hour in den)

Week of Jan 29
Kitchen— coat cabinet cubbies and drawers (this is a bear so I need to probably have it as my only task)
(Extra hour in den)

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

And it does feel like an onion domino effect we’ve been decluttering a week and nothing’s actually been finished

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 01-01-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Week of jan 1
bathrooms ready for painting / touchups to sell (declutter)
1 downstairs
2 upstairs
done 1/1/18
(Extra hour in den)

Week of Jan 8
1- get family room ready for painting/ touchups
2 - linen closet
(Extra hour in den)

Week of Jan 15
1 my closets
2 my dresser
(Extra hour in den)

Week of Jan 22
1 kitchen — area to right of sink
2 kitchen area to Left of sink and under sink
(Extra hour in den)

Week of Jan 29
Kitchen— coat cabinet cubbies and drawers (this is a bear so I need to probably have it as my only task)
(Extra hour in den)

Old 01-02-2018, 04:35 AM   #7
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper View Post
I need to do this. At the moment I am going to focus on solving organizational issues. To get started I n Ed to tackle the small art cabinet and sort supplies to store them more efficiently than under the piano.
I started the craft cabinet. It’s so tiny but has so much in it! I was able to cut in half the stuff that was randomly floating around in there. A grocery sack of trash and a small bag of items I will be taking to school with me for different lessons.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (01-03-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 09:56 PM   #8
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

I’m following Emily Ley’s simplified life challenge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 06:38 AM   #9
prov31craftymom
Rose Garden

prov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm needing to go through my house too. We're down to our final year here (maybe even less time than that), and I need to get everything ready for the movers. We've accumulated a lot of things while living here, an extra child and a cat. So there's a lot that needs to be done.

Echo is 7!
Charlie is 5!!!!!
Romeo is 2!

Save
prov31craftymom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prov31craftymom For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (01-01-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:11 PM   #10
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
I’m following Emily Ley’s simplified life challenge

Link? I need direction.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (01-05-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #11
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

I'll join in We need to do some serious decluttering this year but its just knowing where to start!! Like, which is the most important. Guess I will write a list of rooms/parts of the house and go from there.
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 08:56 PM   #12
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Day one of Emily Ley’s Simplified life challenge: walk around with a trash bag and throw stuff out. Done yesterday.

Day two: clean out kitchen utensil drawers. Done.

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 11:46 PM   #13
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been doing this slowly over the last 2 months, but I need to get systematic. I have an old thread about decorating my living room and it got derailed when mil moved in with us. She's gone now and I am finally ready to decorate. We've done some stuff already. Here's my list.

Move modem, router, WiFi, phone box etc into upstairs closet. Dh did this 2 days ago. Spent hours cramped in the attic to run wires.

Move printer into kitchen built in desk.

Reorganize shelves in kitchen to accommodate printer supplies.

Buy area rug for living room.

Buy couch for living room.

Put up curtain rod in living room.

Clean out downstairs closet.

Reorganize downstairs closet.

Gather items for rummage sale.

Clean garage and throw away or donate unneeded items.

Buy storage for under my bed.

Remove all items from my dresser and give to dd18.

Take dd18's dresser and give to ds10.

Throw away ds10's dresser which is falling apart.

Go through all games and reorganize. Get rid of at least 1/3 of the games.

Clean and organize pantry.

Take down Christmas lights.

Organize and purge attic when I put the Christmas stuff away.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
RealLifeMama (01-02-2018), tempus vernum (01-03-2018)
The Following User Says they are praying for heartofjoy:
RealLifeMama (01-02-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 12:04 AM   #14
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

All I really got done today was to help DD go through some clothes and give her moral support while she tried to put away her laundry.
I really do think that one of our issues is lack of storage. We only have two closets in the whole house that are not in bedrooms, and they are tiny coat closet size. The only walk in closet is in my master bedroom, and it is just a "normal" walk in closet, not like the closets in the master bedrooms you see in newer homes. So, anyway, she barely has room to hang all her clothes, but she has to store other things in her closet as well, like her sleeping bag and pad, and her exercise equipment. She only has a three drawer dresser. Her dance attire takes up one whole drawer.

Oh, I forgot...I also went though a big stack of paper.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #15
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my list. Re-posted and updated. Everything done previously is deleted and everything checked I did yesterday and today.

Reorganize shelves in kitchen to accommodate printer supplies.

Buy area rug for living room.

Buy couch for living room.

Put up curtain rod in living room.

Reorganize downstairs closet.

Gather items for rummage sale.

Clean garage and throw away or donate unneeded items.

Buy storage for under my bed.

Remove all items from my dresser and give to dd18.

Take dd18's dresser and give to ds10.

Throw away ds10's dresser which is falling apart.

Go through all games and reorganize. Get rid of at least 1/3 of the games.

Clean and organize pantry.

Take down Christmas lights.

Organize and purge attic when I put the Christmas stuff away.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk