Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
Teacher Mom
Rose Garden

Teacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spin off: Home school vs. public school at home

I wrote in the other post that virtual school is NOT home schooling. It is public schooling at home. It's like the public school giving your child all their work to be done as homework.

I guess what I am trying to say is that when you start saying that virtual school is home school, people get really confused. That IS the goal of the NEA. Then as more and more people sign up for a virtual school, accepting the requests to report in to the public school, to be governed by the district/state/federal government, pretty soon the freedom to be able to chose to home educate your child as you see fit will be less and less. If our society begins to believe that public school at home is home schooling we will be in trouble.

Trying to give an example. When people I know are taking classes for college at home on their computer, they never say they are home schooling. They say they are taking college courses- at home. Virtual Schools are taking public school classes- at home. They have different laws to follow than those who chose to home educate their children. No matter what kind of home schooler you are, be it, school at home, relaxed, unschooler, ecclectic...you are still a home schooler. You do not have to follow the same laws that those who do public school at home.

Again, I am coming from the point of trying to preserve the freedom to be able to chose to home educate your child as YOU see fit. When the public schools introduced this and called it homeschooling, they knew exactly what they were doing. It does not fall under the same guidelines that home schooling families follow. They never liked families choosing home schooling back in the 70's and 80's and many, many families stood up for the rights we have today.

I guess I just wish that people would say that they are doing public school at home. It's not just a game of semantics. It is important to keep them separate to maintain the freedoms that home schooling families enjoy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Teacher Mom For This Useful Post:
gpsings (12-13-2010), momma2girls (12-02-2010), Stiina (05-02-2011)
Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spin off: Home school vs. public school at home

We may in the future choose to use a local virtual academy. I'll probably say were homeschooling in the general sense that we are having school at our home but I do agree with you about the diffrence. We just might at least start out with such a way because DH wont agree to another way but I know him he will VERY quickly want to work and a diffrent pace and set of pirorties than the virtual academy but at lass tiny steps...

Deanna
Old 02-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess I just wish that people would say that they are doing public school at home. don't know/shrug It's not just a game of semantics. It is important to keep them separate to maintain the freedoms that home schooling families enjoy.
Just so I understand what exactly is threatened from say your true HS freedoms buy a virtual schooler saying they are a homeschooler. I see the VERY distint diffrence I just dont see where one threatens the other. Turly asking as were slowing beging the journey ourselfs.

Deanna
Old 02-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

I can understand and appreciate the difference and as I learn more about homeschooling I can see why someone would be passionate about keeping the two ideas distinct. There is a lot of history there that I am just learning.

However I think when most people think of homeschooling it refers to the actual environment rather than the material or its source. I'm not sure that's totally inaccurate...and I think some parents who do a virtual school picked it not just for their child to be at home but because of the curriculum.

Like I said I can understand wanting to highlight the difference given the history but I'd hate for people to feel divided about it. Just from a hs newbie.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy
Quote:
I guess I just wish that people would say that they are doing public school at home. don't know/shrug It's not just a game of semantics. It is important to keep them separate to maintain the freedoms that home schooling families enjoy.
Just so I understand what exactly is threatened from say your true HS freedoms buy a virtual schooler saying they are a homeschooler. I see the VERY distint diffrence I just dont see where one threatens the other. Turly asking as were slowing beging the journey ourselfs.

Deanna
It has to do with cultural perception more than anything. I have no problem with people using/doing virtual academies. But it's not homeschooling. With homeschooling there is a freedom to choose my own curriculums and the responsibility that comes with it; the responsibility to set our course for education; the opportunity to be delight driven; so many things that are important to me and not available in public school settings. The environment is only one aspect of homeschooling to me. I don't call Virtual Academy homeschooling I call it Virtual Academy.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

I agree Crystal.. and I'd also say homeschooler depending on my audience like talking with my general neighbors where as I'm just stating we do our school time at our house and where as I know they just dont get or frankly care about the diffrence. To say you I'd say we use a Virtual academy and be comfortable and confident you'd perfectly understand what that means. For me Virtual schooling may be a for our family a needing sort of stepping stone I personally can not see myself or my child doing the riggors of a VA year after year.

Deanna
Old 02-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

I think a lot of people see it as a transition tool.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
AdrienneQW
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

AdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond repute

ITA with the OP. It's not that Virtual Academies don't have a place in the educational landscape - they do. But being enrolled in a public school by virtue of "distance learning" is not the same as homeschooling. They are distinct, and it is not just an issue of semantics.
Proud mama of Dexter (Feb 2002) and Celeste (April 2005)
Always loving Thomas William (03/04)
Old 02-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

But just TRY to put yourself in the place of a mama who may not be as confident as you are to just jump out on her own, or who may not be able to afford to buy materials to homeschool. Then how does "You're not REALLY a homeschooler" sound?
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Savannah For This Useful Post:
shaslove (03-08-2013)
Old 02-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Though I think as a whole the transistion will be a lot harder than the umm real deal

FWIW as well I'm not anti puplic schooling as I'm not against the idea of a classroom with teachers and a more sctructred cicrulum that will have to meet the needs of multiple students at once and the unique challanges that presents.. I thing of say my mother whos parents spoke little English whom didn't read and how thankful they were to have teachers for there children.. However I don't like the burcuracy thats been overtaking the "PS" system for many generations now. The one that limits good hard working teachers the ability to well teach that places standarize test teaching and getting there numbers for federal funding more important that really doing whats best to try to reach as many students as they can adecmically. Sad really..
Deanna
Deanna
Old 02-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #11
MamaCare
Rose Garden

Girlie hugging Cubby-in-utero

MamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond repute

My son attends Connections Academy, and when folks ask me about his "homeschooling" I try to correct their impression: yes, he's home, but he's doing virtual school. They have the whole curriculum planned out, he has a teacher for each subject, assignments he must submit, etc.
I have certain flexibility as far as what additional work I require (other than submitted assignments) and *when* he does the work, but that's about it. Waaayyy different than homeschooling.
Mix, my creative fireball; 01/99
my sweetly delightful Girlie; 11/04
my laid-back Cubby-climber; 04/07
my tenacious and joyful I-boy; 07/08
my surprise blessing Baby-J; 04/09
missing my angel, Serenity 03/04;

http://mommypress.com/itllturnup/
Old 02-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

A question though.. In as far as GCM forums where would a virtual schooler belong?

Deanna
Old 02-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
BearyBlessed
Rose Garden

BearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond repute

I must say, I agree with Teacher Mom. And my family was one of those that fought for the rights of hs'ers in my home state back in the 80's.

Wife to my best friend since December 2000
Mama to my boys
Aji ~ My long awaited blessing ~ May 2007
Living with T1D since May 2012

YoYo ~ My HBAC miracle ~ November 2009

Old 02-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #14
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
A question though.. In as far as GCM forums where would a virtual schooler belong?

Deanna
They have always been welcomed in the HS forum You won't be able to participate so much in curriculum choices, but you deal with issues about having your child home all the time and providing the socialization
Old 02-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #15
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

Living and Loving..Against the Stream

Ima LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Mom
I wrote in the other post that virtual school is NOT home schooling. It is public schooling at home. It's like the public school giving your child all their work to be done as homework.
This is the second time you have made this comment and this is the second time that a pang of hurt shot through my heart. You are free to express your opinion mama..but I want to gently ask that you rethink this statement and consider rephrasing it or not say it anymore because it is not true and it is really really hurtful to those of us that chose this route. It seems venomous.

I addressed this comment in the other thread..but I will say it again. VSing is not sitting your child down with homework and telling him to do it. You have no idea the amount of teaching and prep time there is to VSing. I had to prepare at least 45min every single night to be ready for the next day's lessons...then I had to sit in front of my child every day...5 days a week...4 hours a day and instruct him and teach him as if I were teaching a classroom full of 1st graders. It was intense...it was hard and it was tiring. It was not an easy task and your statement really makes me feel as though everything I poured into this and my child was somehow substandard and made me feel very belittled as a homeschooling mom.

I am not trying to be snarky...and I am not mad..but I honestly was up until 2am this morning dwelling on this statement and trying to assign positive intent. I KNOW you are not trying to be hurtful or venomous and I know that it is more of an irritation of how the government is working to chip away at all the rights that HSers have worked to gain. I just know that if I find hurt in these words, being a mom that is now anti-VSing...then how must the mom who is still VSing or preparing to VS feeling

Quote:

Deanna
LOL...yeah...I had NO niche with schooling here. I was not *really* welcomed to come in here because it was quite evident how the HSing public felt about my choice to VS...I had not voice in the other forum because I was HSing to them...so there was not place to fit in or get support. It was a hard place to be in and now I can see how the delayed/selective vaxers feel kind of.

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)
My Little Loves:לוחם (Warrior 2001) ~ אוֹמֶץ (Heart 2005) ~ אש (Fire 2007)

My Photography Blog:Red Door Photography
My Natural Living Page:Against the Stream
Closed Thread