Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 09-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default making lies the truth??

So I was amoung a larger discussion in my local homeschooling group. One of the parents talked about how her oldest kid started this. "You never" bit one day (about going out for ice cream after some practice) so she said that they don't lie so to make sure his words weren't lies they never went out for ice cream again (assuming after what ever practice). So his words would be the truth...
All the moms ohh and ahhed over this womans wise ways....
I thought
But if you had once gone then suddenly stopping still doesn't change the fact you once did. SO technically saying we never still continues to be a "lie".

Plus even if you never did and tomorrow you do then Well that is a different day and doesn't negate the actions or decessions of the past.

I get not wanting the you never whine. I get saying look kid be careful with your words.. I can even get choosing to not go to send a message what I don't get is this idea it suddenly made his words the truth..

It seriously hurt my head to follow the logic..

Deanna
Old 09-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation
Default Re: making lies the truth??

That's because there is no logic in that concept. What would it teach?
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (09-25-2014), JoEllen (09-21-2014), melissa5317 (09-23-2014), Rivendell Raven (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooooor maybe teach them to "try again" and teach some new ways to express disappointment?
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (09-22-2014), milkmommy (09-22-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper View Post
That's because there is no logic in that concept. What would it teach?
Power and control. (In all the bad ways.)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (09-21-2014), HadassahSukkot (09-21-2014), Hopetobe (09-25-2014), milkmommy (09-22-2014), saturnfire16 (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
Power and control. (In all the bad ways.)
This it might be one thing to not go out for ice cream that ONE time (or maybe even a short season) if this is an issue one feels needs to be addressed more front and center but no apparently this first incident happened with the oldest kid years ago and now ice cream is off for everyone even new siblings born since the incident.
And of course their is no rule that says your a bad parent for never going out for ice cream.. It was the whole look we made his words the "truth" thing I couldn't get.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

To me, I think the "You never.." could be challenged.

"Sure we do. Remember when we _____ back on/in ______? You're right though. It's been a LONG time. Let's pencil that in on our calendar and make it happen again!"

Or am I crazy for thinking that?
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (09-22-2014), CelticJourney (09-21-2014), Hopetobe (09-25-2014), Kiara.I (09-21-2014), saturnfire16 (09-21-2014), SewingGreenMama (09-23-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot View Post
To me, I think the "You never.." could be challenged.

"Sure we do. Remember when we _____ back on/in ______? You're right though. It's been a LONG time. Let's pencil that in on our calendar and make it happen again!"

Or am I crazy for thinking that?
nope it is exactly what I thought.
HadassahSukkot (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
ShiriChayim
Rose Garden

Rock on!!!

ShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond repute

(My very literal memory like a steel trap aspie son would have an absolute field day with that one... )
: ds15yo- the performer, ds14yo- the gamer, ds 12yo- the adventurer, and dd 10yo-the dynamo
Missing my little Malachi David and Hannah Danielle, in Jesus' arms
Check out my blog

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
*Dr Seuss*

ShiriChayim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShiriChayim For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

So with the words of a child, the parent loses free will - yeah, like that's a plan for a healthy family.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
a good book under a tree (09-25-2014), FlyingBlueKiwi (09-25-2014), HadassahSukkot (09-21-2014), Hopetobe (09-25-2014), Kiara.I (09-21-2014), milkmommy (09-21-2014), SewingGreenMama (09-23-2014), WanderingJuniper (09-21-2014), Zooey (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
So with the words of a child, the parent loses free will - yeah, like that's a plan for a healthy family.
Yah, what will she do if the kid says, "You never fix us broccoli!"

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
cbmk4 (09-22-2014), FlyingBlueKiwi (09-25-2014), HadassahSukkot (09-21-2014), Hopetobe (09-25-2014), HuggaBuggaMommy (09-21-2014), Jeanette598 (09-22-2014), MegMarch (09-21-2014), milkmommy (09-21-2014), Ramee151 (09-22-2014), rjy9343 (09-22-2014), Soliloquy (09-21-2014), tigerlily (09-26-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I followed your thinking on the situation.

Also, yesterday we went out for ice cream after my son's game.

That's all I have to add to this conversation.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (09-21-2014), milkmommy (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfire16 View Post
Yah, what will she do if the kid says, "You never fix us broccoli!"

Yeah, a smart kid could go a looooooong way with these parents.....

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
This it might be one thing to not go out for ice cream that ONE time (or maybe even a short season) if this is an issue one feels needs to be addressed more front and center but no apparently this first incident happened with the oldest kid years ago and now ice cream is off for everyone even new siblings born since the incident.

I think what they will teach is that their children cannot ever trust them because they are not safe. The children will learn to say nothing, ever, to their parents, in order to keep themselves safe.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
cbmk4 (09-22-2014), FlyingBlueKiwi (09-25-2014), HadassahSukkot (09-21-2014), Hopetobe (09-25-2014), milkmommy (09-25-2014), saturnfire16 (09-21-2014), SewingGreenMama (09-23-2014), Zooey (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

You never make me clean my room.
You never make me clean the bathroom.
You never tell me to mow the lawn.

Wow, I'm in, I'm going to start talking this way!

Adults say this, I'm even guilty of it. A gentle reminder is all that is needed. I don't allow my kids to say, "I'm starving!" for example. To me, it's disrespectful of the people who are, literally, dying from a lack of food. I tell them to choose different words.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Contented in FL (09-21-2014), HadassahSukkot (09-21-2014), Hopetobe (09-25-2014), milkmommy (09-21-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #14
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
You never make me clean my room.
You never make me clean the bathroom.
You never tell me to mow the lawn.

Wow, I'm in, I'm going to start talking this way!

Adults say this, I'm even guilty of it. A gentle reminder is all that is needed. I don't allow my kids to say, "I'm starving!" for example. To me, it's disrespectful of the people who are, literally, dying from a lack of food. I tell them to choose different words.
So true. Somehow with this lady I think if he'd pulled the you never make me insert chore or disliked food it be viewed as not just lying but defiance. This is the mama who donated all her no greater joy materials to our homeschooling group liabary.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #15
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

I think of all the times I have used hyperbole to express emotion or make a point. I would be very irate if that had been cast up to me as "lying." An empathetic and gentle statement such as "It has really been (or seemed) like a long time..." Would have been a much nicer way to address his use of the word never.

Mama to my four dear children ages 22, 19, (forever 13) and 10
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to cbmk4 For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (09-22-2014), HadassahSukkot (09-23-2014), Hopetobe (09-25-2014), HuggaBuggaMommy (09-22-2014), Kiara.I (09-22-2014), MegMarch (09-22-2014), melissa5317 (09-23-2014), milkmommy (09-22-2014), rjy9343 (09-22-2014), SewingGreenMama (09-23-2014), Soliloquy (09-27-2014), sweetpeasmommy (09-22-2014)