Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 09-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
Yasheluah
Rosebud

Yasheluah is a jewel in the roughYasheluah is a jewel in the roughYasheluah is a jewel in the roughYasheluah is a jewel in the rough
Default Nonviolent Communication by Rosenberg

Has anyone else read Nonviolent Communication by Marshall Rosenberg? It is one of my favorites; even though I'm not 100% sure if he is a Christian, I feel like the book displays gentle, Christlike attitudes and approaches to communicating with anyone but especially with our kids.
ENFJ; Enn. Type 4

www.ashleylinne.com
Yasheluah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nonviolent Communication by Rosenberg

I haven't read the book, but a long while ago I took a couple classes (in Washington State btw!) where it was taught. I think are some good things that can be learned from it , but I remembering feeling some concerns regarding it. It's been so long since I took the classes that I hope it will be okay if I just copy and paste something I wrote on GCM in 2009. Even back in 2009, it'd been awhile since I took the class.

Quote:
It's been so long since I took a class, that it's hard for me to word my concerns, but I'll look to see if I can find an old post that I wrote about it (hopefully there is one on this board).

I took a class about it in the context of parenting children. I have read some about it, though, in other contexts, and it's very cool how it can help one communicate better with others, and it is something I think can be useful to know. The formulas for communication can sound really stilted, at least while you're learning them. It's quite unique-sounding.

It's really big into identifying needs and focusing on meeting those needs.

One person I learned about it from sounded very permissive the first time I took a class about it -- very TCS-y. She sounded very stressed out. The second time I took a class about it, the lady seemed to me to have changed her discipline-style (for the better), and the class didn't just focus on NVC, but rather it was more eclectic and we learned about some positive parenting techniques as well . . . it was more balanced.

I decided, though, to not take any more classes after reading a pamphlet there about the religious aspects of it. I just really felt uncomfortable and uneasy after looking at it.
I'm not sure what pamphlet I was reading, but here is a link that shares the "Spiritual Basis of Nonviolent Communication", and I think if you read that you will be able to see some of what was concerning regarding that:
http://www.cnvc.org/en/learn-online/...-communication

When I tried to use it with my daughter for awhile she got impatient with the formulaic way I was trying to speak. I wasn't very good at it. But I think there were some helpful things in it, like figuring out needs and trying to meet them. It's been so long since I took those classes, though. I wish I could remember more and be more helpful.

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (09-24-2014), Yasheluah (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
Yasheluah
Rosebud

Yasheluah is a jewel in the roughYasheluah is a jewel in the roughYasheluah is a jewel in the roughYasheluah is a jewel in the rough

Aha, yes-- I could see that causing some concerns!! I wondered. I try to read pretty much everything with a good "filter" on and aim to sift through for what is most helpful without compromising sound doctrine. I went to a few API meetings where we used to live (in the Bible belt) that focused on NVC, and they gave a better framework as far as the formulas for communication. More balanced for sure. But what has definitely helped me is having names for emotions and needs, and the general approach.
ENFJ; Enn. Type 4

www.ashleylinne.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Yasheluah For This Useful Post:
flowermama (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

No he isn't Christian. Book is still awesome. I haven't finished it yet but I have really enjoyed it.

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute

LOVE NVC! It has changed my communication and internal dialogue a great deal. I never considered it a spiritual teaching, only that it's very connecting (and that is spiritual for me) for people to talk and listen and empathize and truly be heard and understood. and I don't see any red flags in doing that when it comes to Christianity.

The Respectful Parenting book is great too! Very practical. But best to read Rosenberg's book first. NVC is used all over the world , in governments and peace talks which highly align with any Christian value i'd like to follow. Jesus talked a great deal about peace and nonviolence. Just because he's not a christian it would be a shame if people dismissed his teachings.
Auroras mom (09-29-2014), Yasheluah (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeyT View Post
... I don't see any red flags in doing that when it comes to Christianity. ......Just because he's not a christian it would be a shame if people dismissed his teachings.
I think things can be gleaned from such teaching, but I also think it is really important to KNOW what the teacher has in mind so that you can be aware as you listen to what they have to say. Knowledge has some power and if you know their beliefs you can read their work with a certain awareness that you could not do otherwise.

From the link above
Quote:
I think it is important that people see that spirituality is at the base of Nonviolent Communication, ....

What does God mean to you?

I need a way to think of God that would work for me, other words or ways to look at this beauty, this powerful energy, and so my name for God is “Beloved Divine Energy.” For a while it was just Divine Energy but then I was reading some of the Eastern religions, and Eastern poets, and I loved how they had this personal, loving connection with this Energy. And I found that it added to me to call it “Beloved” Divine Energy. To me this Beloved Divine Energy is life, connection to life.

What is your favorite way of knowing Beloved Divine Energy?

It is how I connect with human beings. I know Beloved Divine Energy by connecting with human beings in a certain way. I not only see Divine Energy, I taste Divine Energy, I feel Divine Energy, and I am Divine Energy. I’m connected with Beloved Divine Energy when I connect with human beings in this certain way. Then God is very alive for me. Also talking with trees, talking with dogs and pigs, those are some of my other favorite ways.
I'm not discounting or endorsing what this author writes, but would want anyone reading his work to have background information going forward.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19

Last edited by CelticJourney; 09-24-2014 at 06:25 AM. Reason: spelling error
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (09-25-2014), forty-two (09-24-2014), HuggaBuggaMommy (09-24-2014), rjy9343 (09-25-2014), Yasheluah (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

I've read it and it was very helpful to my internal dialogue. I use the scripts to remind myself that I am feeling angry/sad/frustrated/whatever because of what *I* need, not because of whatever is happening in the moment. I also use some wording with my kids (though not strictly the scripts, because I don't want to talk in a formulaic way to my kids) that puts the responsibility for their emotions in their court, while helping them figure out what they need.

I do see how it could be problematic for a few reasons if applied as a parenting method, instead of just some helpful bits of information and for personal work.

1) It's a script, and I think responding directly to our kids and their needs is better.
2) I once knew a mom who tried using the scripts on her kid when he was running around a restaurant bothering people and yelling, and all he heard was Charlie Brown's teacher noise. Stop talking, pick kid up, leave. THEN figure out what prompted the behavior, see what you can do better next time to prevent it, etc.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (09-25-2014), BarefootBetsy (09-24-2014), CelticJourney (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Yasheluah
Rosebud

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfire16 View Post
I've read it and it was very helpful to my internal dialogue. I use the scripts to remind myself that I am feeling angry/sad/frustrated/whatever because of what *I* need, not because of whatever is happening in the moment. I also use some wording with my kids (though not strictly the scripts, because I don't want to talk in a formulaic way to my kids) that puts the responsibility for their emotions in their court, while helping them figure out what they need.

I do see how it could be problematic for a few reasons if applied as a parenting method, instead of just some helpful bits of information and for personal work.

1) It's a script, and I think responding directly to our kids and their needs is better.
2) I once knew a mom who tried using the scripts on her kid when he was running around a restaurant bothering people and yelling, and all he heard was Charlie Brown's teacher noise. Stop talking, pick kid up, leave. THEN figure out what prompted the behavior, see what you can do better next time to prevent it, etc.
This is a lot of how I use it too. It has really helped me with vocabulary for emotions and needs, especially since that historically has been a very difficult thing for me; my husband has benefited as well even though he hasn't read all of the book. I agree with finding ways to incorporate the basics rather than keeping with a formula.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

I've tossed around the idea of writing a resource that looks at the principles of NVC but "redeems" them by exploring Scripture and giving a Christ-centered take. If there's already a Christian take on NVC that you're aware of, I'd be interested!
ENFJ; Enn. Type 4

www.ashleylinne.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Yasheluah For This Useful Post:
camperjen (09-28-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

Yes, vocabulary for emotions! The book has like 3 or more pages of the names of emotions and when I read that I went .... you mean there are more than happy, sad, angry and a few other variations of those?!

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (09-25-2014), BarefootBetsy (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
Yasheluah
Rosebud

Indeed!! I pulled out the one-page that has the basic emotions and needs and it has been on our fridge ever since.
ENFJ; Enn. Type 4

www.ashleylinne.com
Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #11
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute

I think formula is good when you are new. I liken it to learning a new language. It seems awkward at first, but them becomes more natural as you practise it.

Kids can be tricky. For my younger ones I may just go as far as to say, I see you are crying, are you sad? And hold them. Then I ter ally I can guess the need....and attempt to meet the need through action.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:28 AM   #12
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed reading the book years ago.

The way I saw it applied to parenting was very concerning and IMO harmful.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I think what concerns me most about the principles involved is what has been done with them by those most devoted to it. When it is used as the primary method of communicating with a toddler it is utterly ineffective at accomplishing anything beyond helping a child name their feelings - a great thing indeed! But, as in the restaurant example above, useless for effecting change in behavior. Those who find themselves with a child who is doing something like running around a restaurant end up using their own feelings to try and manipulate their toddler and creating a really icky dynamic.

I am also bothered by how intricately it has been associated with TCS.

I do think that identifying and naming and taking power over our own emotions (and modeling that and teaching it outright to our children) are vital parts of raising emotionally healthy people

And I believe that treating and speaking with our children out of a place of love and respect is what we should be doing - especially as Christian parents. If we are showing the Fruit of the Spirit, and are showing Love, and are forgiving as we have been forgiven, the tone of our relationships will be very different from those who seek vengeance when their rules are broken or who parent from a place of judgment.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
ClassicMom (05-14-2015)
Old 09-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

Tcs?
Old 09-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeyT View Post
Tcs?
'Taking Children Seriously' - a parenting idea that says you never force a child to do anything they don't want to do. It elevates the opinion of the child as equal to the opinion of the parent. I'm open to correction on that, it's from memory.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote