Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
HummusDip

Default Charlotte Mason?

I want to unschool mostly, with using a bit of Montessori techniques. But I've heard a lot about Charlotte Mason and I'd love to hear more. Does she have a website? Please tell me the pros/cons and your experiences! Thanks!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charlotte Mason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummusDip
I want to unschool mostly, with using a bit of Montessori techniques. But I've heard a lot about Charlotte Mason and I'd love to hear more. Does she have a website? Please tell me the pros/cons and your experiences! Thanks!
You're so cute.

She's from way back in the day, so there were definitely no websites then.

I really like Montessori as well, so some of our home environment is influenced that way. I am reading the original 6 Charlotte Mason books and I feel there is a lot of Truth there so we will be using that as well. As far as pre-6 years old, its very unschooly ....

there is www.amblesideonline.org ... that is a website that has a lot of stuff on Charlotte Mason, but it can be a little difficult to navigate

*edit to clarify

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
celestial princess
Rose Garden

...sometimes I can't see it for the trees

celestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond repute

another good one is simplycharlottemason.com but a google search will turn up a wealth of resources!
celestial princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestial princess
another good one is simplycharlottemason.com but a google search will turn up a wealth of resources!
That website is good except for the milk with lemonade thing. :/ She really could have let her try and not "made her finish it to teach her something." When you MAKE them finish it, it is no longer a natural consequence, it is imposed.

So yes, please check that out, but be warned!

*edit to clarify

Old 01-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation

Here's what I saw when I watched my friends use Charlotte Mason methods.

Friend #1:
3 kids, age 4 (down syndrome girl), age 6 (boy), age 8 (girl)

Friend #2:
2 kids, age 3 (down syndrome boy), age 5 (girl)

Friend #1 was ULTRA organized, had charts made out with books to check off when read, following the Ambleside online program to a T for her older two. She collected books from the library and also scoured used book sales as well as online sales. Her kids were also outside about 4-6 hours of the day. They lived on a small acreage with chickens and a garden. The kids helped plant, weed and harvest the garden, then taking the food to the kitchen, washing it and eating it often in the same day. They collected eggs and sold them. Their property had a clothesline on it and the kids helped with laundry, hanging it outside and learning household stuff in that way. But their chores lasted less than 1-2 hours a day and the rest of the time was pure play and exploring. They had small animals inside, like a hermit crab, fish, etc and they had a keen interest in teaching other kids and adults about their animals. More than once, they would bring one of the small animals to our playgroup and give a little presentation on the animal, unprompted and unsolicited by their mother.

Friend #2 was a very relaxed Charlotte Mason believer that also was a huge supporter of the idea of unschooling. Her daughter spent most of her time outside, on walks with mother and brother, collecting leaves to paste in books, recording dates on the huge time line that stretched around their dining room, and listening to her mother read the books listed on ambleside online.

Both sets of kids are the type that I am striving to raise. They were all innately responsible and loving and gentle with the youngers. They were interested in the adult conversation but just as good at spending time in elaborate play with many imagined props and ideas. There were times that us ladies were treated to "tea" (Friend #2 was British) complete with invisible rose-painted teacups, earl grey tea with a bit of cream, orange-cranberry scones and service by a maitre' d (played happily by the boy).

I had an excellent introduction to Charlotte Mason in this way. As I watched/listened further, this is what I personally take from a Charlotte Mason education.

Kids are STRETCHED beyond their current level of understanding. To read abridged books, simplified text, things that come down to the child's level do not STRETCH the child higher. Instead of meeting children where they are at, it challenges them to reach and understand the level higher than that. If you believe that your child doesn't "get" things, try giving them the benefit of the doubt and read them Dr. Doolittle, original version. We read that to Cameron at 15 months and he still remembers the characters, even if he doesn't remember the text. After reading and pushing his literature comprehension, we find him at a much higher verbal level than most kids his age. I don't know how much of this is personality because he's our first, but we look forward to seeing how this repeats with Elijah.

Charlotte Mason also relies on recitation, poetry/scripture memorization and copy work to improve language skills. I support these things to a degree, without being pushy or obnoxious about it. We are incorporating memorization in our daily without making it "school" for Cameron, just simple things.

I like that Charlotte Mason gives a non-traditional Christian educational view of how to facilitate children learning.

I like the webpages: http://www.amblesideonline.org/New.shtml and http://www.amblesideonline.org/FAQ.shtml although I do think that in the FAQs I think that the author slightly talks down unschooling and that it doesn't mesh with Charlotte Mason. I really believe the two are so incredibly similar if you give them each a bit of flexibility. Innately, a child that is outside a lot, will reach in the ways that Charlotte Mason describes while still being somewhat delight driven. A Charlotte Mason framework can give a structure to an unschooling child's life without overwhelming them with workbooks and published textbooks, putting them in a grade.

I probably have more to say but for now, this is where I will stop.

Oh, I also want to introduce you to this list as we have it printed on our fridge and are working on each of the points:
Quote:
"A Formidable List of Attainments for a Child of Six"

A reprint of a curriculum outline from a CM school in the 1890's. from Summer 93 Parents Review pub by Karen Andreola

1. To recite, beautifully, 6 easy poems and hymns
2. to recite, perfectly and beautifully, a parable and a psalm
3. to add and subtract numbers up to 10, with dominoes or counters
4. to read--what and how much, will depend on what we are told of the child
5. to copy in print-hand from a book
6. to know the points of the compass with relation to their own home, where the sun rises and sets, and the way the wind blows
7. to describe the boundries of their own home
8. to describe any lake, river, pond, island etc. within easy reach
9. to tell quite accurately (however shortly) 3 stories from Bible history, 3 from early English, and 3 from early Roman history (my note here, we may want to substitute early American for early English!)
10. to be able to describe 3 walks and 3 views
11. to mount in a scrap book a dozen common wildflowers, with leaves (one every week); to name these, describe them in their own words, and say where they found them.
12. to do the same with leaves and flowers of 6 forest trees
13. to know 6 birds by song, colour and shape
14. to send in certain Kindergarten or other handiwork, as directed
15. to tell three stories about their own "pets"--rabbit, dog or cat.
16. to name 20 common objects in French, and say a dozen little sentences
17. to sing one hymn, one French song, and one English song
18. to keep a caterpillar and tell the life-story of a butterfly from his own observations.
Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Firebird Rising For This Useful Post:
a good book under a tree (10-25-2011), ECingMama (08-16-2015), GraemesMomma (12-15-2011), jandjmommy (05-31-2010), tryin-to-FROG (07-13-2009)
Old 01-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshifter

I like the webpages: http://www.amblesideonline.org/New.shtml and http://www.amblesideonline.org/FAQ.shtml although I do think that in the FAQs I think that the author slightly talks down unschooling and that it doesn't mesh with Charlotte Mason. I really believe the two are so incredibly similar if you give them each a bit of flexibility. Innately, a child that is outside a lot, will reach in the ways that Charlotte Mason describes while still being somewhat delight driven. A Charlotte Mason framework can give a structure to an unschooling child's life without overwhelming them with workbooks and published textbooks, putting them in a grade.
I agree! Excellent and informative post!

I did want to note though that I think the list of attainments is for an older 6, so near to 7. Is that right? Sooo... we aren't worried about it yet.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
HummusDip

bbl but thank you!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

Yes... Awesome post Jen!!

bbl

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
celestial princess
Rose Garden

celestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestial princess
That one is okay, but that lady actually got me fired up a couple times over her punitive and disgusting way of parenting. The milk with lemonade thing. :/

So yes, please check that out, but be warned!
oops! I hadn't looked at her site thoroughly enough to know that! Thanks Janet!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
celestial princess
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy
Quote:

I agree! Excellent and informative post!

I did want to note though that I think the list of attainments is for an older 6, so near to 7. Is that right? Sooo... we aren't worried about it yet.
I was going to add this also

Thanks Jen!
Old 01-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A pure CM education and a totally unschooling education are two different things, although on the surface, they can look similar. They can mesh well - but they are different at the foundation. A relaxed approach to CM will look more like unschooling, and a more scheduled approach will look more classical. But a pure CM education as CM intended will look like CM's schools.

("The author" . . . that would be me -- does it really sound like I'm talking down unschooling? I tried to find and include links to unschooling that didn't misrepresent the definition of unschooling, and I think highly enough of unschooling that I wouldn't have wanted to talk it down. CM is so often confused with unschooling and delight-directed that I was trying to draw a distinction between them by defining the differences . . .)
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
RubySlippers
Deactivated

There's no place like home.

RubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond repute

Charlotte Mason wrote about her method and the texts are free on the ambleside.
RubySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

This is a great post. It sounds like much of what we do already. Off to check out those links.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #14
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Leslie, I'm coming back to this because I hope I didn't offend you and want to further clarify.

I firmly believe that, in unschooling, there is facilitating in the way that Charlotte Mason would agree with. Exposure is absolutely key in both types of schooling. With Charlotte Mason, there is more of a framework. With unschooling, I feel that as parents allowing to our children to have this type of learning environment, we still have responsibility to provide variety and require our children and ourselves to grow beyond our knowledge. Using the books and readings that amblesideonline lists, is a way to GIVE our children the idea of wings. Allowing them to fly beyond that is where the two schooling worlds separate and further personal-interest study can either be schooling (as per unschooling) or free-time pursuit (as per Charlotte Mason).

With the Charlotte Mason model of nature appreciation for children, many of the early activities DO become delight-driven/unschooled and promote a love that can later be structured, if needed, or left, depending on the personality of the child. For instance, on a nature walk with my three year old, I show him oak tree leaves and lichen. He seems uninterested. The next day, while out on a walk, he begins his exploration with, "Will we see leaves?" I tell him we will. "Will they be oak leaves?" I tell him that we will see some oak leaves. He picks up an oak leaf and names it. Then picks up another leaf, not an oak leaf. "What's this one?" "I don't know. Shall we find out?" "Yes." So we take the leaf home and look in our identifying book and learn the name.

I'm not a believer in a pure radical unschooling model because I do feel that children need some sort of established structure, something that helps them bend to a direction they would not naturally travel without guidance. I see a direct link between parents who lack self-discipline having children who lack self-discipline. I also see parents who have self-discipline with kids that do NOT. I believe the latter example is where a failure to communicate and address this absence of self-discipline occurs. I think the Charlotte Mason model comes into play to prevent such a problem by way of making things such as poetry a part of daily life to foster appreciation, encouraging fluency in another language to expose children to cultures they may not otherwise pursue or even be aware of, etc.

I really hope this is making sense. I keep re-reading it and thinking it might be a little abstract :/

Leslie, to answer your question, I find that radical unschooling (where children have no guidance or imposition of self-discipline in study) and simple unschooling (when children are both delight driven and intentionally exposed to encourage further study as well as consciously guided through the things that they not pick up naturally) often get lumped into a box together. I find them distinctly different. The division of time that you mention several times in your paragraph as far as the specific activities one uses as "school" time versus "free time" is what made me say what I said. My view of schooling is that LIFE is school, not just the interests of my child at the moment, but both the simple unobstructive guidance I provide towards certain subjects and the time I allow a child to wander and explore on their own. I don't divide the time up into "school" and "no school" time frames AND I don't label what we do during the day as "school" even though some might think it is. It is somewhat delight-driven, somewhat unfocused, but still facilitated towards many of the ideals of Charlotte Mason as stated on ambleside.

Maybe a better term for what I do is "eclectic" if it has to be labeled. I consider it unschooling but maybe others wouldn't.

And, I believe that location has much to do with how one perceives/records "schooltime" as well. I look forward to moving out of California because of the homeschooling laws but I have yet to study some of the states we've considered. In Nebraska, where I was introduced to the two homeschool families, there are very relaxed laws and neither family was doing much in the way of submitting records for approval of their program.

Again, Leslie, maybe my words are wrong, but my intent is warm and I hold a deep amount of respect for the work done on Ambleside. I am grateful to my friends for introducing me to the idea of bringing this type of structure into my children's learning environment.

Jen D.

PS: YES, my oldest child is a 3 year old and I may be beyond naive since I haven't been through it yet. Over the last 4 years, I have held a keen interest in child psychology, schooling and learning styles. I am also the child of two generations of teachers on both sides of my family and have observed student/teacher interactions with interest since I was young.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #15
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Hummus Dip,

With the recent post about your husband's struggle with the idea of homeschooling, presenting him with some of the Ambleside Online information as a loose structure for your plans might be what he needs to feel more at peace. Being that the AO schedule is rather firm, you can possibly suggest using some of the assignments from AO as well as incorporating unschooling/delight-driven/eclectic into your program. Just a thought to put out there, in case that idea will bring him over to....the DARK SIDE of us crazy homeschoolers

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!