Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:59 AM   #1
ServingGrace
Rose Blossom

ServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really nice
Default How soon can landlords show apartment?

So my lease ends at the end of May. I thought it was odd when my landlords demanded a sixty day notice to renew to end lease. Now they are showing my apartment. They called last minute yesterday before the office closed and left a voice mail on my regular phone. I don't know how they got that number because I always tell them and have always written down my google phone number. Google transcribes all my voicemails so I can keep a record of things,
Anyway I'm a bit anxious, well okay I had a panic attack last night when I heard the voice mail! I should have six weeks left here, why can't I be left in peace? Is it normal for a landlord to show a rental so far out I the future? The worst part is other neighbors are moving out at the end of this month so I don't see why they don't just show that unit instead?
I told them I have anxiety and panic attacks and would like it if they could accommodate my disability and wait till I am out to show my unit. The gal on the phone smugly said we give you twelve hours notice that is accommodation enough and all that is required. If this becomes a consist at thing I am pondering if there is a way to legally leave a week or two early and just camp somewhere instead of having to constantly be preparing to have people come in at twelve hour intervals.
ServingGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for ServingGrace:
tempus vernum (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 04:17 AM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: How soon can landlords show apartment?

You'd have to look at your lease. Most leases give landlords the right to show the home during your stay with notice.

I'm sorry this is causing you anxiety. Praying that this transition would be as easy as possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Llee (04-23-2017), MaySunflowers (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 05:34 AM   #3
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

12 hrs seems awfully short I'd check laws in your state, here they require 24hrs. And I would be tempted to tell them since they used a number they weren't given it is not acceptable.

That would drive my anxiety through the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrincessAnika For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-18-2017), MaySunflowers (04-18-2017), Quiteria (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 06:11 AM   #4
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Yes check what the law is in your are, it is 24 hours for us as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
mamacat (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 06:24 AM   #5
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in a college town where apartments were scarce, it was common to show that early. However, every state I've lived in requires 24hr notice, so I agree with checking the tenant laws in your state, and maybe your lease as well if you still have a copy.

Legally, you can leave whenever you want, as long as you've paid to the end of the lease and have somewhere to go.

You might also complain about the phone number used. It's not the one you gave them, and I'd remind them that therefore you might not get the message...they could find themselves booking a showing while the house is a mess or you have a apartment full of friends visiting for lunch or you decide to cook stinky cabbage for dinner or any other inconvenience they don't want to deal with that could easily be avoided by using the best contact number you gave them. Not that you would purposefully inconvenience them, but it is to their benefit for you to get your message properly so that you can work with them.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.

Last edited by Quiteria; 04-18-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Llee (04-23-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #6
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

6 weeks is not long when you're trying to rent out a place

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Katigre (04-18-2017), Llee (04-23-2017), milkmommy (04-18-2017), Sparrow (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Also since you 're still living there would not feel obligated to do special cleaning etc. 24 hrs is usually the norm I think and you can go to the park or something if you feel better not being in there while they are showing it.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I think my lease states 60 days for photos of the place and 30 days for showings.

I am pretty sure 24 hours is required in my state.

I'm really sorry it's so stressful for you. My tenants giving notice/moving out/find new tenants was extremely stressful for me too. (first time; I hope I'm better prepared next time!)

Are you in a place where it's likely to be re-rented very quickly? I only had to kick my tenants out for a few hours on one day and it was re-rented.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Llee (04-23-2017), Quiteria (04-18-2017), ServingGrace (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I totally get it. I've had that happen everywhere I've rented and it's one of the things I really hate about renting. You always have to keep Your house to the landlords standards because they can come in at a moments notice. It's supposedly 24 hours here but that doesn't feel like much notice to me and having people in my space makes me incredibly anxious. We moved three years ago and I still feel Anxiety just thinking about the "showings". Double check the law but expect that it will be frequent until
You move. Perhaps you could agree to showings on one day a week?
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
ServingGrace (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We've always had to give 24 hours notice and show during normal business hours, 9-5, unless the tenant gave permission to show at other times. If Google your state tenant / landlord laws. I doubt they are following the law.

Six weeks isn't much time at all. If you don't get people in looking, then you're likely to have it vacant for 1-2 months which is a huge loss. Most rentals cover the mortgage with only a tiny bit of cushion. Vacancy can be devastating, financially.

You don't need to clean or anything, just put away any personal info that might be lying in plain view.

I'm sorry it's stressful. Hopefully someone will sign and then the showings will stop.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Llee (04-23-2017), ServingGrace (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #11
ServingGrace
Rose Blossom

ServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAnika View Post
12 hrs seems awfully short I'd check laws in your state, here they require 24hrs. And I would be tempted to tell them since they used a number they weren't given it is not acceptable.

That would drive my anxiety through the roof.

It's kind of a catch 22. The pressured me into signing the renew lease or notice to leave form sixty days before moving out. The state requires thirty days, but the gal on the phone said it was company policy and basically bullied me into thinking I had to sign now or might be in violation of my lease even though I did not see anything I my lease.
The lease does not specify how much time must be given before entering the apartment aside from reasonable notice. I think the state law is twelve hours or immediate access in an emergency.
Like this morning maintence stopped by without calling. Last night I left a voicemail that my freezer was frozen open and leaking all over the floor if I did not prop it shut with a cast iron Dutch oven. But I have so many maintence issues with this apartment I now categorize the two regular maintence people as okay not to panic if they show up.
So basically we have spent all day away from our apartment and there still not done showing it to people for the day.
I specifically use my google voice number for everything because I do not want to forget something. With google voice everything is recorded online so I can refer back to a message or call. I'm almost considering staying home if they use the wrong number again and confronting them with why they didn't call my number and how they are illegally entering. But I have only rented one other apartment so I need the landlord reference and they know this. I feel like there taking advantage of me being new to renting instead of owning and due to being an older newer renter they feel like they can push me around.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

I think with all that I would be tempted to contact a lawyer for a consult.

Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PrincessAnika For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #13
ServingGrace
Rose Blossom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
We've always had to give 24 hours notice and show during normal business hours, 9-5, unless the tenant gave permission to show at other times. If Google your state tenant / landlord laws. I doubt they are following the law.

Six weeks isn't much time at all. If you don't get people in looking, then you're likely to have it vacant for 1-2 months which is a huge loss. Most rentals cover the mortgage with only a tiny bit of cushion. Vacancy can be devastating, financially.

You don't need to clean or anything, just put away any personal info that might be lying in plain view.

I'm sorry it's stressful. Hopefully someone will sign and then the showings will stop.
Oh snap, I left my bras hanging on the back of the bathroom door! I'm so happy I read your put away personals statement because now the amusement of embarrassment is easing my anxiety. For some reason embarrassing situations entertain me instead of causing anxiety.
That and I don't know how clean or messy maintence left the place this morning. For all I know there are muddy boot prints and trash from what he was working on laying about. I hope the actual landlords won't hold that against me.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
I think my lease states 60 days for photos of the place and 30 days for showings.

I am pretty sure 24 hours is required in my state.

I'm really sorry it's so stressful for you. My tenants giving notice/moving out/find new tenants was extremely stressful for me too. (first time; I hope I'm better prepared next time!)

Are you in a place where it's likely to be re-rented very quickly? I only had to kick my tenants out for a few hours on one day and it was re-rented.
Another tenant I the building is moving out at the end of this month so there are two available units. But this is in the college neighborhood of the city so I think when the school year ends there will be some people looking for leases instead of sublets for summer. Or do most college students go home over summer then rent in fall? If that's the case I doubt it will fill soon. Whe I moved in in June one of the units was vacant until September when the university started for the year. That particular unit was renovated and very nice compared to my apartment. Then the one that is getting moved out of this month was renovated two years ago.
My apartment is a slum. There are no fans for ventilation, some windows don't stay up without a prop. For the first five months the kitchen and bathroom floor tiles came up when I stepped on them if it was humid. I had to get legal aid to tell them I will not pay if they don't replace it after requesting repairs several times. Now the freezer is on the fritz which is why maintence was there this morning. My bathroom tiles fall down on a regular basis, like once when my daughter was I the shower and she came running out naked screaming about monsters knocking down the walls.
So given that the other unit for rent is actually nice I doubt mine will rent first....
The Following User Says they are praying for ServingGrace:
ECingMama (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #14
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, I wouldn't worry about bras. I was thinking of things like a bank statement.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
bananacake (04-18-2017), ECingMama (04-18-2017), Llee (04-23-2017), PrincessAnika (04-18-2017), ServingGrace (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #15
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

PUr tenabts are moving out June 1 and we will be showing the suite next week. Where I live we have to give 24 hours notice. It's kind to request and not tell a tenant. It's a mutual understanding that when you give notice you will have to be ready to show your place. It's part of renting. It would cost us $1200 to wait until our tenant moved out because you lose out on renting the unit.

IME the people who can move in after the first are usually shadier people who are desperate. Not saying everyone is like this! IME the reliable tenants are the ones who are looking a month in advance.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post: