Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Eating Fantastically in August!

Share your dinner plans here! We love to hear the wonderful things that everyone is preparing and serving their families. Bonus points for those that include recipes. TRIPLE bonus points for included photographs! We LOVE LOVE LOVE food pictures!!!

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Tonight's dinner turned out to be two entirely different meals. I was trying to use up a variety of things in my fridge.

Dh and I had a chicken cabbage stir fry, served over raw julienne cut zucchini noodles

For the kids I made a chicken tomato pasta bake. Served with cooked baby carrots.

No recipes to share as they were both just sort of made up and thrown together on a whim. Which I'm finding is pretty much how I cook anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (08-01-2016), charla (08-02-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eating Fantastically in August!

Children were screaming so dinner turned to scarf it down rather than plate nicely and take pictures.

We had green beans cooked with sweet onion and bacon, a zucchini casserole ( zucchini, onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, olive oil and gluten free, dairy free soy free bread crumbs) and mashed potatoes I cooked in the prusher cooker.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

My children had sandwiches and milk,but tomorrow the pasta and meatballs will get made and if it turns out well,I'll take a picture
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-02-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Its too hot here to think of anything fancy. Plus I'm tired of killing my self for everyone to just whine and complain or worse not even bother trying it.... Plus were paying off soooooo much debt right now it is stupid.
$4,000 hospital bill $1500 needed to finish repairing the kitchen after roof leak (not insurance covered) our vacuum has died that needs replacing we have a $500 balloon payment due for DH student loans and his monthy payments after that have gone from $52 to $309.55 (although we have taken a $10,00 pay cut)... So yea I'm whining my self SO onto our meals

This weeks dinner menu
last friday- baked cod with Asparagus

Saturday- roasted chicken and veggies

Sunday- baked cabbage with bacon and thin chuck steaks

Today- black bean and cheese enchiladas with spanish rice made totally GF but Margaret complained it was too hot so I made her a GF corn dog..

Tomorrow- Chicken and rice with peas

Wednesday-Burgers and Oreda fries

Thursday- Our Anniversary were doing a couples massage and then the Olive Garden for dinner (where we grabbed dinner on our wedding night) probably be nice and order a pizza for the girls. Cecilia is our sitter for the evening.

Friday- GF baked zita pasta bagged salad with cucumber cherry tomatoes and GF croutons.

Saturday- baked chicken probably corn on the cob

Sunday - pork roast mashed potatoes steamed carrots

breakfast choices- yogurt,Cereal, oatmeal or eggs

Lunch- possible leftovers, sandwiches cut veggies cheese and GF crackers

snack choices (choice of 2 a day)- hard boiled eggs, string cheese, apples, bananas, grapes, carrots celery sticks, targets "monster mix trail mix

pre packed desserts my kids talked me into getting.. (once a day if appropriate amount of otherwise "healthy food" was consumed Philly swirl popsicles http://phillyswirl.com/products/organic-jungle-swirls/
"natural" pudding cups

Last edited by milkmommy; 08-01-2016 at 11:33 PM.
milkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to milkmommy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-02-2016), Beth1231 (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 06:13 AM   #5
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post

Thursday- Our Anniversary were doing a couples massage and then the Olive Garden for dinner (where we grabbed dinner on our wedding night) probably be nice and order a pizza for the girls. Cecilia is our sitter for the evening.
Thursday is our anniversary as well! We are going out on Friday and leaving our girls at home. Happy anniversary.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #6
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

We've started getting tomatoes from our garden so we're eating those every day until they're gone. The basil is doing well, too so we've had lots of pesto on the menu.

Last night we had chicken apricot stew and steamed carrots and radishes.

Tonight I have to do something with the overabundant kale and zucchini. Any ideas?
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

Last night was our monday regular - roast chicken. Also had steamed broccoli and black eyed pea salad. Tonight is taco tuesday and zucchini soup The rest of the week plans are: leftover chicken stirfry, zoodles with meat sauce, another leftover chicken something, and then brisket.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post

Tonight I have to do something with the overabundant kale and zucchini. Any ideas?
Zucchini soup! We have it as an appetizer fairly regularly, I try to have it ready before I start cooking whatever's really for dinner so that when everyone's driving me nuts getting underfoot there's something they can have that won't ruin their appetites. I make it by sauteing onion in garlic, adding as much chopped zucchini as will fit in the pan (I sometimes just use the cores leftover from making zoodles) and then covering it all with homemade chicken broth. Simmer till everything is cooked, then puree with immersion blender. Salt well. We drink at least a mugful each and the kids love it.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
HomeWithMyBabies (08-02-2016), ViolaMum (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Chicken teriyaki in the instant pot. Tho I used the slow cooker function of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
charla (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #9
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengirl19 View Post

[/COLOR]

Zucchini soup! We have it as an appetizer fairly regularly, I try to have it ready before I start cooking whatever's really for dinner so that when everyone's driving me nuts getting underfoot there's something they can have that won't ruin their appetites. I make it by sauteing onion in garlic, adding as much chopped zucchini as will fit in the pan (I sometimes just use the cores leftover from making zoodles) and then covering it all with homemade chicken broth. Simmer till everything is cooked, then puree with immersion blender. Salt well. We drink at least a mugful each and the kids love it.
Thanks! We're having zucchini soup and salmon cakes.

(Except that I couldn't find any chicken stock in the freezer, and pulled out what I thought was turkey stock. I think DH saved the pan drippings from the last turkey he braised. So it's more like we're having Thanksgiving plus fish, than a hot August dinner. I hope they eat it! )

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
Old 08-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #10
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I have next to nothing in the pantry or freezer so I think we will have grilled cheese and homemade tomato soup with GF grilled cheese for me.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #11
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

Last night was salads--detoxing from a week with extended family

Tonight was tacos. I have this salsa stuff I love to make in the summer: tomatoes, corn, black beans, onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt. No real recipe, just to taste.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
squiddles (08-08-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 05:26 AM   #12
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

Made awesome meatballs last night and served them over linguine with olive oil and parmesan.
Recipe for five people with left-overs:
2 lbs ground beef
2/3 cup parmesan
1/2 cup FRESH,chopped parsley
2 eggs
2 garlic cloves (or minced,refrigerated garlic)
Onion powder to taste (a tsp is good)
Bake at 375 for 25 min.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
squiddles (08-08-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #13
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

We have friends staying with us. So far I've made:

Grilled Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos with Chipotle Lime Crema with black beans and brown cilantro lime rice.

Chicken Bacon Avocado Salad with Roasted Asparagus

And I'm planning to make:

Mexican Chicken/Rice bowls with a Mexican caesar salad. I'm using this marinade for the chicken.

Grilled Salmon Kebabs with fresh rolls and Grilled Asparagus and Zucchini Salad with a Lemon and Basil Vinaigrette
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #14
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Chicken tenders, mashed potatoes, steamed artichokes with lemon butter sauce
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #15
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

Nacho Night!

We had black bean and corn salsa made with tomatoes, peppers, and jalapenos from the garden. It's amazing what veggies my kids will eat if I give them chips as vehicles.