Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you have read Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

What are the categories she recommends sorting things into for tidying?

I actually put the book on hold at Barnes and Noble to buy today because we are getting our carpets cleaned tomorrow, so I'm packing everything up to go in the garage and I'll put it back when I'm done. I thought it would be best to pack everything up in her categories, but I'm having dh pick the book up on his way home from work so I won't have the categories until after that. Oh, and I already looked in the table of contents in the free preview. Aside from "books" and "clothes" I couldn't find any other of her recommended categories.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you have read Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Hannah Elise
Rose Trellis

Hannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond repute

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Also what if something doesn't "spark joy" but you need it- for example a dresser that is old and looks terrible, but it is the one you have and you need something to keep your clothes in. Does she assume you have enough money to replace everything you own that is no longer in good enough condition to "spark joy"? Or is it good enough that it sparks more joy than the alternative of a pile of clothes on the floor? Or is it enough that it holds your clothes that spark joy even if the dresser itself doesn't?

Inquiring minds want to know!

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (02-22-2015), Hannah Elise (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

As near as I can tell from a quick read of amazon reviews, it's the stuff *in* the dresser that "sparks joy", and the dresser is what holds it.

My library system has this book. Perhaps I'll have a read of it and see if it's actually inspiring for those of us who probably won't ever be minimalists.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (02-15-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this said "Do you have the life changing magic of tidying up?" and I thought, I do have that magic!

Decluttering is my superpower. But then I saw that it was a book & I have not read it.

But I put a hold on it from my library.

Because it sounds like a fun read.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Contented in FL (02-14-2015), Katigre (02-17-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #7
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

i went to put a hold on it at my lib--- but 121 people are already on the list

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
deena (02-22-2015), Pilgrim (03-03-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
i went to put a hold on it at my lib--- but 121 people are already on the list
You made me curious . . . so I looked. . .I am 20th!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Aerynne
Rose Garden

I'm 40th. So I'm going to buy it because we're moving everything out of our house today and I think it would be a good chance.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 02-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #10
Aerynne
Rose Garden

So I bought it and read it and it was a great book! I have all kinds of ideas about what to declutter now.

My favorite gems are-

The purpose of a gift is to be received. So once you are done receiving it, if it does not spark joy you are under no obligation to keep it. (second sentence is paraphrased, but the first is verbatim as far as I remember)

If we're keeping stuff that doesn't spark joy, we are either afraid of the future or holding on to the past (My plan is to take two boxes labeled "holding on to the past" and "afraid of the future" and start putting stuff in them. )

She never covered if something was a necessity but didn't spark joy.

Oh, and the order or stuff is clothing, books, papers, miscellaneous (this is to be divided into categories like "cds", "sports equipment", etc, and conquered in no particular order) and finally mementoes. Any papers that are sentimental is covered in the last category, not the "papers" category.

I really recommend the book, though.

It's not really geared to people who are managing households, though it certainly can be applied to that. It seems more like it's for young single people, but that didn't prevent me from finding it useful.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (02-23-2015), Delaluz (02-17-2015), Hopetobe (02-17-2015), Johns_Gal (02-15-2015), Lady Grey (02-15-2015), Pilgrim (03-03-2015), Quiteria (02-15-2015), RiverRock (02-22-2015), Singingmom (02-22-2015), Soliloquy (02-15-2015), TraceMama (03-04-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #11
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

I just heard about this book yesterday from someone irl. You can also listen to the entire book on Youtube.
Aerynne (02-15-2015), Delaluz (02-17-2015), Quiteria (02-15-2015), Soliloquy (02-15-2015), TraceMama (03-04-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #12
Aerynne
Rose Garden

I did not know that. I will look into that- maybe I can get dh to listen to it. My plan was to read it to him but this would be better.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 02-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
I just heard about this book yesterday from someone irl. You can also listen to the entire book on Youtube.
What funny times in which we live!
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (02-17-2015), TraceMama (03-04-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #14
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
I thought this said "Do you have the life changing magic of tidying up?" and I thought, I do have that magic!

Decluttering is my superpower. But then I saw that it was a book & I have not read it.

But I put a hold on it from my library.

Because it sounds like a fun read.
That bat signal you see tonight will lead you to my house. Please hurry.
Johns_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Johns_Gal For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-15-2015), arelyn (02-23-2015), deena (02-22-2015), Dovenoir (02-15-2015), ECingMama (02-22-2015), Hannah Elise (02-16-2015), Hopetobe (02-17-2015), houseforjoy (02-17-2015), Kiara.I (02-15-2015), knitlove (02-15-2015), marbles (02-22-2015), MrsDuck (02-17-2015), RiverRock (02-22-2015), RooMama (02-22-2015), sunflowermom (02-15-2015), TraceMama (03-04-2015), twoplustwo (02-15-2015), Victorious (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #15
Delaluz
Seedling Rose

Delaluz is on a distinguished road

I must see if my library has this book! I aspire to be a minimalist (probably will never happen) but, oh how I want a more organized and tidy home. I'm overwhelmed by the clutter in one of our rooms. It's the catch all room. The rest of the house looks ok, but most things without a home gets thrown in there. 😕
Delaluz is offline   Reply With Quote