Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hurricane Irma

Have we started a thread yet? Any S. Fl mamas - are you getting ready?

We are potentially in the path, depending on if it swings east or west and will likely get 'something'. We're just outside of the evacuation zone for our area and will likely stay unless it is holding it's strength after landfall. We're as prepared as we can be. We went through a pretty much direct hit by a much weaker Matthew last year. Our biggest concern is a long term power outage, not the electricity so much as that our neighborhood water system does not have a backup generator so we'll be without running water. We have lots of water storage, but sanitation gets to be the main concern But I know people in S Fl who are looking at much much worse potential conditions as the shear wind speeds of the storm are incredible

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
Llee (09-06-2017)
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for greengirl19:
Llee (09-06-2017), RoseOfGrace (09-08-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
homesteadmama
Rose Trellis

homesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hurricane Irma

We are in Charleston, SC, and I am prepared to evacuate or hunker down. We just moved here, so this whole hurricane thing is new to me. Feeling a little .

Sarah, INFJ
Wife to M since 1/04
Mommy to S (1/07), W (1/09), S (1/11)~My UC baby, and A (12/14), Another UC baby
, Baby-Wearing, , Cloth Diapering, , Traditional Foods Family
My blog
homesteadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homesteadmama For This Useful Post:
greengirl19 (09-05-2017), squiddles (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesteadmama View Post
We are in Charleston, SC, and I am prepared to evacuate or hunker down. We just moved here, so this whole hurricane thing is new to me. Feeling a little .
I grew up hearing about it with family in Fl but ti's totally different living it as an adult. I can imagine it's really crazy if you're new to it! I have no concept of earthquakes, snowstorms or any significant cold weather or anything like that and they scare me. Our part of the coast isn't supposed to get storms but it looks like the odds are changing!

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend whose DD is going to school down there. They were able to book a flight to get her north. It sounds quite serious.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (09-10-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

We live in central FL, but we are on vacation in Colonial Williamsburg right now. We won't go back home until the storm has passed, (which means extending our vacation and that gets expensive because we are in a timeshare now. After that time is up, we have to find money for a hotel.) but I wish I had brought more of my valuable/difficult to replace things with me (hard drives, homeopathy, essential oils, my laser, etc.!) All small, all hard to replace!

But, it's crazy in central FL now with hurricane prep. All stores are out of water, and people are having trouble finding propane. All generators are sold out, and stuff like that is going on. People are trying to decide whether to stay or go. And really, you have to make a decision like that before you really know what's going to happen. Once you get about a day away, the roads jam up and there is no gas to be found.

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (09-05-2017), Llee (09-06-2017), Virginia (09-05-2017)
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for KarenBoo:
Llee (09-06-2017), RoseOfGrace (09-08-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
Atsirk
Rose Trellis

My sweet boy a few days after his 1st birthday!

Atsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on how things look Thursday will determine if we evacuate. DH has to stay for work so if it looks like we'll need to evacuate I'll go before it's mandatory! I already made tentative plans to go to Atlanta.
Baby C born 12/19/18!
Atsirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atsirk For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (09-05-2017), KarenBoo (09-06-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:53 PM   #7
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Praying for you all. I'm not directly in the path, but we are still being cautious as these things can change course at any time. DH works for a boat company along the Mississippi River. They are prepared to tie everything down when the course is better known. He may need to go into work on Sunday to make preparations.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (09-05-2017), KarenBoo (09-06-2017), Llee (09-06-2017)
The Following User Says they are praying for mommychem:
Llee (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 03:32 AM   #8
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I have been watching Irma for almost a week. Praying.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 05:29 AM   #9
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Gville with 2 youngest kids and have a son in Jax and 2 married dds down in Polk county. One dd is evacing and going to AL.The other was going to evac today and head to a cousins in GA and pick me up alomg with our 2 YAs here but is not going to right now because of uncertainty of course of storm. Hoping she may still come here where winds wouldnt be as strong hopefully and not so low as where they are?

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C

Last edited by mamacat; 09-06-2017 at 09:17 AM.
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for mamacat:
mommychem (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #10
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

My sister lives on the east coast of Florida and was hit by Matthew last year. She has a friend inland that they stayed with last year and will stay again this year. Might be more of a direct hit but better to be away from the ocean.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Pragmatist:
Llee (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #11
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBoo View Post
We live in central FL, but we are on vacation in Colonial Williamsburg right now. We won't go back home until the storm has passed, (which means extending our vacation and that gets expensive because we are in a timeshare now. After that time is up, we have to find money for a hotel.) but I wish I had brought more of my valuable/difficult to replace things with me (hard drives, homeopathy, essential oils, my laser, etc.!) All small, all hard to replace!

But, it's crazy in central FL now with hurricane prep. All stores are out of water, and people are having trouble finding propane. All generators are sold out, and stuff like that is going on. People are trying to decide whether to stay or go. And really, you have to make a decision like that before you really know what's going to happen. Once you get about a day away, the roads jam up and there is no gas to be found.
You may want to reserve a hotel farther inland now since Williamsburg is only an hour from the coast. You could run into similar trouble in VA as people there prepare.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (09-06-2017), KarenBoo (09-06-2017), PrincessAnika (09-06-2017), rosesnsnails (09-09-2017), Virginia (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #12
Atsirk
Rose Trellis

My sweet boy a few days after his 1st birthday!

Atsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like we'll be evacuating unless the models change drastically in the next 24 hours.

I really hope my parents decide to evacuate too.

We're under a state of emergency here. DH will be recalled to the fire department in the next couple of days. Hopefully they will cancel school on Friday. If not I'll be keeping E out of school anyways and we'll head to safety
Baby C born 12/19/18!
Atsirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for Atsirk:
Llee (09-07-2017), PlateauMama (09-07-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #13
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

We were gong to hea north of Atlanta but now looks like GA could be affected to

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #14
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom View Post
You may want to reserve a hotel farther inland now since Williamsburg is only an hour from the coast. You could run into similar trouble in VA as people there prepare.
Yes, we won't be sticking around past Sunday. Our timeshare is paid up until then, and Sunday will be fine enough to leave here. We'll probably reserve another timeshare 2 hours inland from here. DH doesn't want to make that call until Friday though.

We went to Costco yesterday, and nobody is out buying water or anything yet up here. From my friends in FL, it's pretty chaotic!

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
Singingmom (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #15
homesteadmama
Rose Trellis

homesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Charleston, you can't find gas, water, even emergency type things are selling out or sold out. It looks likely that we will get hit by Irma. We are leaving this weekend if so.

Sarah, INFJ
Wife to M since 1/04
Mommy to S (1/07), W (1/09), S (1/11)~My UC baby, and A (12/14), Another UC baby
, Baby-Wearing, , Cloth Diapering, , Traditional Foods Family
My blog
homesteadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for homesteadmama:
KarenBoo (09-06-2017), Llee (09-07-2017)