Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Diet for dogs? 2 lbs a week?

Okay, my dog is fat.

My kids feed him. I changed the scoop so there is less chance of overfeeding. We walk him in the winter but not as much as the summer (2-3 times a day in summer).

He likes hard boiled eggs, chicken, cooked carrots and cooked green beans), and bananas.

Suggestions on how to get him to drop weight?
Obviously more running on the walks. He's too big (91 lbs) for walking to do much, IMO. He needs sprinting.)
Feed him half his amount a few meals a week?
Give him a "diet" meal from the foods he likes 1-3 times a week? (He eats 2X a day.)
Anything else?
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diet for dogs? 2 lbs a week?

I would walk him on a bike or rollerblades.

But most of weight loss is diet. I wouldn't worry about how soon he drops it- the point would be heading in the right direction.

So you feed him only those things or also dog food? More vegetables is good for dropping weight (if it replaces other things). I'd try feeding him either less or else diet dog food (if you're feeding him dog food) but making sure there isn't a lot of crud in the diet dog food. I'd probably drop the bananas.

Can you get him to drink before he eats? Drinking a glass of water before meals helps people eat less- I see no reason it wouldn't work for dogs.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-05-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, goodness, yes, he eats an expensive corn-free dog food. He doesn't itch on it. 3 cups per day. Other stuff is just human food be happens to like.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
Oh, goodness, yes, he eats an expensive corn-free dog food. He doesn't itch on it. 3 cups per day. Other stuff is just human food be happens to like.

If his normal food intake would be 3 cups a day of the kibble, then he has no need for the extras you listed.

If you are going to feed him the 'extra' then skip 1 of the cups of kibble for that day.

My daughter's service dog was 110 and he is on a diet, we have cut out lots of extra foods that were snacks. He gets 1 cup of kibble 4x a day. We cut it back to 3/4 cup. If he does some good work, we reward him with a baby carrot or we allow him about 1 inch of a banana as the treat. He loves strawberries, so if we have some of those in the house, he gets 1 as a reward. (We cut out the GF/Corn Free biscuits for now.) We need him back to 100 pounds so he doesn't cost double for his heart worm medication.

We also take some of his kibble and use it for a treat and reduce his meal time by that amount.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-05-2017), HadassahSukkot (05-18-2017), Llee (05-18-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 04:07 AM   #5
ServingGrace
Rose Blossom

ServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really nice

You mentioned less walks in the summer. Depending on his breed is there a place you could take him swimming? If not could you get him a backpack to carry around? The added weight would make each walk burn more calories.
I have always fed organic raw grass fed meat (whole processed rabbits) to my dogs so I'm not sure what the kibble amounts should be. But I agree with the previous poster that if they should eat three cups and are getting human food cut the three down too two. Using portions of food for rewards is great. With our herding dogs and hounds I would have a small cooler pouch with frozen chunks the size of an ice cube for training treats till they learned to be sensible and only run when working.
ServingGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ServingGrace For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
ECingMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I would walk him on a bike or rollerblades.
I think he would kill a cyclist. His only flaw (other than shedding, which he can't help) is lease pulling. Sometimes. Like he'll walk nicely for an entire week with no effort and then pull like crazy on the next walk (same person walking). Or he'll be walking along nicely and then see a rabbit and take off. I need my husband to take him back to obedience school, I guess. He was 4 when he got him and the lease pulling came with him. I spent a lot of time working on it, but I'm not expert. Somebody just told me a bit of vinegar and water in a water bottle would train him out of that. I'm skeptical.

Might try the rollerblades though. Good idea. (for my husband)

He does NOT eat a lot of human food. But we've had him for two years, so I know what he likes. He only gets it after ear cleaning (he had ear mites and they take 6 weeks to get rid of).

I've appreciated the hints.

We just saw the vet. She said not to let him lose weight too quickly, but I failed to ask her what that means. I'd like to give him 10 weeks (until my due date) to be back to his healthy weight. I just don't want to be worrying about it when I have a newborn. He could probably get away with just dropping 15 lbs and be okay. 20 better. but 15 okay.

I can try the weights too. He does walk a ton more in the summer. (started in March this year, really...such lovely spring weather!)
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (05-06-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

First, what breed (or mix of breeds) is he?

I once adopted a 6 year old yellow Lab from a family. When I asked how much she was fed, the owner said "my husband just fills their (2 dogs) bowls". I got her and measured her food, fed I think 1.5 cups twice a day and she lost 10#. She was 80# when I first got her.

I feed my 38# Walker Hound 3/4 cup twice a day.

I think you said he gets 3 cups total a day. Is this actual measuring cups or just a plastic cup you use?

I'd say feed him 1.5 cup twice a day and be aware of not too much other treats.

Good for you for noticing the issue and doing something about it!

Most dogs that are overweight are because their owners do not measure/regulate their food.

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

Forgot to add that a front hook harness is GREAT for helping to stop pulling! Still have to work with the dog but it is a huge help. I have an Easy Walk Harness. It's hard to get a correct fit though, I tried 3 sized and gave up and just got the one that fit the best.

A friend just told me the Easy Walk was one of the first front hook harnesses and now there are better fitting ones. Balance Harness being one of them.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-16-2017), HadassahSukkot (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

one thing you can do is one tbs of coconut oil over his dry food daily. He will probably freak out and not know what to do, but it is sweet and it'll cater to the sweet tooth.

Cut out the extras. If you do canned food, stick with that, about a cup a day and stick with 2 of the dry food feedings. Get an anti-bloat feeder, or make your own. Switching things up from time to time by rolling out his food to him in a kong also helps. (Ex: Wet food Kong today, Dry food Kong with coconut oil on the outside to keep it from rolling out -- he'll sit and play with it until he has all the food out)

If he doesn't have a water fountain, you can add a couple dashes of ACV to his water. If he does, give him a bowl with ACV a couple times a week

More Outside time. He needs to also be eating grass for his tummy.

I think 10 weeks is kind of fast to drop a lot of weight. Think like a human, how much weight is safe to drop in that time without having a yoyo effect?

Kids will need talking to as well as anyone else in the house as to what he can have, when and how.

IF he is not food aggressive, the kids could make him work for kibble. (mine do "treats" of kibble and make our dog do her run through of tricks) This would also slow down meal time and give him something to do.

How is he doing afa listening to ya'll? Pushy? Might need to also re-assert your alpha-mom position.

DH was feeding mine all kinds of things she should not have and she had a health crisis that scared me so badly. I talked with our breeder and she recommended all of the above.

Slowly, we're slimming down since the crisis 3-ish weeks ago.

Due to how sick I was, she got away with murder, so I've been re-asserting my space and when she can come and where she belongs. Anxiety was making her more picky about food, as well as binging. :/ I do the same thing so... :/

We're working on the getting out more, but she is following me all around the house and that helps lots too. I hadn't been very mobile and her and me in the bed sleeping 8 hours a day and 5 hours at night really messed with both of our health.

AFA no pull leashes, I've heard good things about every single one there are out there, but it seems different dogs need different types, so it may be worth asking at your local pet stores what they have and taking him in to try them and see what works best.

Last edited by HadassahSukkot; 05-18-2017 at 01:55 PM.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Dogs need a lot of exercise. I'd focus on increasing exercise and making sure his kibble is properly rationed. I don't like the weight loss dog foods unless all else fails. They're high in fiber and dogs don't digest fiber very well. While dogs do scavenge they are still primarily carnivores. For treats I buy the chicken jerky for dogs with only 2 ingredients-- chicken and glycerin. I break it into small pieces so a bag lasts awhile. That and hard boiled eggs are their treats.

For leash pulling, we have a prong collar. It gets their attention so they learn not to pull. My dog happily puts his on because he knows it means a long walk past the horses (the only time we use it).
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-18-2017), HadassahSukkot (05-19-2017)