Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public* > GD Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GD Info and FAQs *Public* The new home for most of the GD stickies. :)

Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #121
mokamoto
Climbing Rose

Mama to two little sweetpeas and loving wife to my Darling tech buff

mokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to all
Default Re: s/o parenting self-talk

(It's hard to put this after the quote on my phone. Sorry about how it looks!)
I've been in this situation and what worked for me was taking DS to the tub with diaper on, standing him there, removing all his clothes quickly and washing his body with the shower head. He was so shocked he didn't resist and he was clean and happy quickly. This worked for me bc I was focused on the situation and calmed down due to problem solving on the brain. I can't see red and problem solve at the same time! ;-). HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-EyedLady View Post
Ok, walk me through this one: DS has a poopy diaper. He's having an food allergy reaction, so the diaper is more like diarrhea - poop everywhere that doesn't wipe up easily. DS is being uncooperative (because he's 2 yo or is having an allergic reaction, hard to tell), and is trying to get his hands down in the business while arching his back and making it impossible to clean him up.

My current MO = try to pin down all 4 limbs simultaneously in a most ungentle way while wiping up the mess while yelling at him to relax and hold still. Not working so well for any of us...

I can't walk away - there are multiple safety issues at play here (the poop could easily end up in his mouth, he could end up flipping off the changing table and hurting himself) not to mention the potential for HUGE mess. The only self-talk I can think of in the moment is "He's only a kid. He just wants to play. His tummy doesn't feel good, that's why he's acting this way." Lovely words, but I'm still seeing red...
Old 02-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #122
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

This is such a helpful thread to me right now.

Married to Pete
Mum to Rachel (15)
Elizabeth (12)
and Elijah (9)
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #123
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Another blessed mama by finding this thread! My anger issues are so bad and ingrained from the way I was parented that I went beyond the self-talk only and am in therapy, which has done me wonders BECAUSE my therapist has also approached the self-talk issues with me She also explained to me that it's completely useless to ask them "why?" at this age because they.just.don't.get.that. I loved the idea in a pp about explaining that mommy's just trying to help and figure out what's wrong....I think I will try that. I find myself asking "why?" without even thinking.

And I just wanted to interject that I have some Rescue Remedy, and when I'm seeing red or feeling my blood boil...just walking to the closet and taking the time to take 3 drops of RR is usually enough time for me to calm down and try the self-talk.
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #124
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

ds threw a fit the size of texas today, in the street for all to see, while making us late for an appointment, and i as already worked up to start with.
and...
i have nothing to apologize for it's one of the few times i did nothing i regret. i totally held it together.
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (02-03-2010), ShepherdsWife (10-17-2013), simplegirl (02-02-2010), TenderLovingWillow (01-20-2013)
Old 02-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #125
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

good job!

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #126
Mum2Es
Rose Trellis

Mum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Irene!

I had one of those moments this morning when I held it together thanks to this thread. I can't even remember what EK did to annoy me but I did the whole self-talk thing "I feel angry because...EK didn't do that to make me mad, she just wants..." and didn't react inappropriately to her at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2Es For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (02-03-2010)
Old 02-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #127
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Today must be a great day! E did something to bug me, oh, she banged on the wall after I'd just told her to whisper to not wake A, and my brain said, "Hey, she didn't know banging on the wall would *also* wake baby."
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maggirayne For This Useful Post:
CapeTownMommy (02-03-2010)
Old 02-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #128
curlymopmom
Deactivated

curlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond repute

Maggirayne!

I've been having a lot of success too. It just feels so amazing to feel like I'm doing more 'right' than 'wrong'. this thread!!!
curlymopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curlymopmom For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (02-04-2010)
Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #129
HindsFeet

I'm still working on the self-talk. But I'm doing better at recognizing that I need to walk away before things escalate too far, so that's a step in the right direction.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #130
COTK
Rose Bouquet

COTK has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post

So I said: yes, I'm tired and i'm cranky, and my ears hurt from your screaming, and I"m upset because you screamed at Riley and drove her away and I don't get to spend time with her this evening, and I love you, but I 'm not getting to enjoy the time I spend with you.

I am sure that was totally gult tripping and shaming, but it was better than having the thougths show on my tightly pinched lips and terse manner, I guess.
Was that guilt tripping and shaming? It didn't seem like it to me...? If that was guilt tripping, then I don't get the "reflecting feelings" thing at all...
Mommy to Lucy--10 years, and Jacob 2 years!
COTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #131
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

LEt's just say that her reaction wasn't pretty. I know I shouldn't take people's reactions as the barometer of what I should say...but let's just say that I generally tend to do that. and then agonize endlessly if they react badly. Dd tends to have anxiety/ragey stuff, so no matter what I say, the end result is the same. *I* felt better about what I said than placating or berating her.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #132
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
OK, I do not know if this was right or good, it felt bad.

Ainslee was having one of her nights.,Crying about everything, tired, not tired, want to watch the show,wanted a bath, baby talk ad nauseum including just plain babble (she has to be pretty bad to resort to babble), and freaking out if Riley came over or if Riley touched her or if I moved her on my lap...

She's been like this for 4 evenings straight now, and it gets old. And I was mad because having to deal with her was eating up a lot of time, and I knew when I took her to bed, dh was gonna take Ri to bed and then I wasn't going to get to spend time with Ri because Ainslee had hurt her feelings earlier by yelling at her to get away and then when I told Ri she could stay sitting beside me, Ainslee screamed loud enough to make Riley WANT to move away....

Ok? It's exhausting, and my self talk was all "now she's ruining my evening and I won't get to spend time with Ri and blah, blah" and meantime she's freaking out because she keeps saying I look mad or I sound mad and she won't calm down until I'm not mad, etc.

So I said: yes, I'm tired and i'm cranky, and my ears hurt from your screaming, and I"m upset because you screamed at Riley and drove her away and I don't get to spend time with her this evening, and I love you, but I 'm not getting to enjoy the time I spend with you.

I am sure that was totally gult tripping and shaming, but it was better than having the thougths show on my tightly pinched lips and terse manner, I guess.
Quote:
LEt's just say that her reaction wasn't pretty. I know I shouldn't take people's reactions as the barometer of what I should say...but let's just say that I generally tend to do that. and then agonize endlessly if they react badly. Dd tends to have anxiety/ragey stuff, so no matter what I say, the end result is the same. *I* felt better about what I said than placating or berating her.
Well, it sounds like she was unhappy over everything. And regardless of what you said did, her reaction wouldn't be pretty. How old is she? 7?

So you were expressing how you felt. What you said was all your feelings, not blaming her, but expressing how you felt because of her actions.
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maggirayne For This Useful Post:
Marsha (02-04-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #133
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

StrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond repute

How does this all work when you can't get away? When I'm stuck in bed nursing one and using one arm to keep coralling the other back in when he tries to squirm off? It doesn't happen often..only when he's reacting to dairy. He ate some bannan/pumpkin/fruit bread thingy last night..it's been forEVer since we've deal with this, but...talk about seeing red. I don't even want to go into my reaction because...well, it stings. It was just an awful afternoon.

How do you do it? Should I have just let him go downstairs til the other one went to sleep?

Wish I could just erase today and start over.
StrangeTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #134
BlessedBlue
Rose Garden

Have you ever heard a fly roar? Listen carefully!

BlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond repute

When I realize the behavior is allergy-related (sometimes it takes me a while ) I tell myself over and over, "DD is not choosing to be this way. Her body and brain hurt, and this is her way of telling me."

sister to Blue-EyedLady since forever
wife to Trooper (Wounded Warrior) 3-98
Graphics designing sapphiremama to EBug 2-04, ABoo 2-06, and Goggle 8-09
BlessedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlessedBlue For This Useful Post:
StrangeTraveller (02-04-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #135
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

StrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond repute

I try to do that..it helped some, but it was waay into the game when I figured it out.. trying again, I suppose. I can't undo it beyond ht eapologies and hugs and starting over
StrangeTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote