Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Entrees / Main Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:21 AM   #31
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Whole Fryer -- Do I have to take stuff out of it's B*tt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by krysmh
I might have to try cooking one and not rinsing. I seriously doubt my husband would notice (and he's the only one who will eat it.)
Yeah, go for it! I'm totally skeeved by the thought of all those germs all over my sink too. I'd have to disinfect for a looooooong time until I felt "safe" again. I've never noticed any taste difference. I have perfected the art of cooking a whole chicken without ever touching it raw. I hate touching raw chicken.
See, I'm more skeeved out by the thought of all those hands that I KNOW have touched that chicken during the butchering, cleaning, packaging, etc. The idea of NOT washing it is grosser to me than the thought of having chicken germs in my sink...
Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 AM   #32
FindingMyWay
Rose Garden

Formerly SHERNON

FindingMyWay has a brilliant futureFindingMyWay has a brilliant futureFindingMyWay has a brilliant futureFindingMyWay has a brilliant futureFindingMyWay has a brilliant futureFindingMyWay has a brilliant futureFindingMyWay has a brilliant futureFindingMyWay has a brilliant futureFindingMyWay has a brilliant futureFindingMyWay has a brilliant futureFindingMyWay has a brilliant future

Walmart sells the bird without the giblets or whatever its called, that's what I buy 'cause I think it's gross too!
Meridith(13), Madison(10) and Mya (6)
Step-Mom to one cool teen Noah (13)

*Labor and Delivery RN*

FindingMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #33
MamaPepper
Rose Garden

MamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERNON
Walmart sells the bird without the giblets or whatever its called, that's what I buy 'cause I think it's gross too!
GREAT to know!!! THANKS!

Photographer & Designer

My PhotographyMy Webpage
MamaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #34
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines
See, I'm more skeeved out by the thought of all those hands that I KNOW have touched that chicken during the butchering, cleaning, packaging, etc. The idea of NOT washing it is grosser to me than the thought of having chicken germs in my sink...
Good point

We just give the giblets, chicken necks, etc. to our cats. They LOVE them
Old 01-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #35
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

There are no studies or data showing people getting salmonella from their sinks. It usually takes an unwashed container used to hold the raw meat then used without washing for something else.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #36
rstump
Rose Trellis

rstump will become famous soon enoughrstump will become famous soon enough

We get out chickens straight from the farm so I absolutely rinse my chicken (not scrubbing under the arms..but a quick rinse) and sometimes have to pluck a few feathers.
Apple to Forrest // Romans 8:28
Crunchy Christian AP HS Traditional Foods Mama to Brittany, Madalynn, David, Ellie & Abbie
Remembering our babies: 3/92 1/93 11/07
rstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #37
Katydid
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Katydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticzookeeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines
Good point

We just give the giblets, chicken necks, etc. to our cats. They LOVE them
but do you cut them up at all or can they handle them whole? And do they eat the bones and all, too? I've cut up the liver for my cats before and they love that, but I never thought of giving the rest of that stuff to them too.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #38
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

We give it to them whole, but they're already used to eating large chunks of meat in their food. *Raw* bones are fine to eat, as it's cooking that makes them brittle and prone to slivers. Raw chicken necks in particular are excellent for cleaning the teeth (turkey necks do the same for dogs) And chicken hearts are very high in taurine; the cats think they're treats
Old 01-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #39
krysmh
Climbing Rose

krysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nice

Chicken grosses me out period, which is why I'm vegetarian and touch the stuff only out of adoration for my carnivorous better half.

I'm freaky about my kitchen sink.

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
Mama to sweet little Isaiah 8/2010, and Princess Karina 4/2012
These three are my world

Where I record my thoughts: http://www.songofhersoul.com
krysmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #40
herbalwriter

This entire thread killed me! I really needed the laugh.

There's hope - I used to be really skeevy about touching raw chicken. But I have gone from totally skeeved to plucking and cleaning a just-killed bird. Hang in there, MamaPepper! And keep your chicken's armpits clean!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #41
MamaPepper
Rose Garden

MamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalwriter
This entire thread killed me! I really needed the laugh.

There's hope - I used to be really skeevy about touching raw chicken. But I have gone from totally skeeved to plucking and cleaning a just-killed bird. Hang in there, MamaPepper! And keep your chicken's armpits clean!
Haha!!!!! I totally forgot about this thread!!! You know. . I haven't tried to cook a whole fryer since this; the last time was so. . .traumatic!!

Photographer & Designer

My PhotographyMy Webpage
Old 03-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #42
hopeforchange
Deactivated

hopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond repute

ok i totally missed this thread the first time around! two things...i only made the mistake of buying a chicken with giblets in it once. now i always make sure i get the ones without the giblets! also, most of the time, dh does the chicken cooking and then picks the meat off the bones for me.
hopeforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #43
RubySlippers
Deactivated

There's no place like home.

RubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond repute

Gloves, people! Use gloves!
At least that's what I do and I never have to touch the raw chicken, or hamburger meat, or anything else.
I know it's not great for the environment (tossing surgical type gloves), but I seriously have a problem with touching raw meat.
RubySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #44
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

I this thread. E, I you, too.
Blue Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:39 AM   #45
MamaPepper
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Savannah
I this thread. E, I you, too.
Hehe. . . Thank you I'm always happy to amuse!!!!

Photographer & Designer

My PhotographyMy Webpage