Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Sweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond repute
Default Favorite window coverings?

So imagine you have a home with no window coverings whatsoever. Everything from bedrooms to kitchen to living spaces need some kind of coverings, and you are starting from scratch? Which areas do you address first? Which do you not care about at all? Blinds, curtains, others? Go
Old 02-13-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite window coverings?

This is almost us. We've been in this house 4.5 years and I've only done a few of the windows. I bought temporary paper blinds for the living room when we moved in to help manage the summer heat and they're still up. They actually look decent.

There are no neighbors that can see into our house so all I care about is darkness for sleeping and keeping the house cooler in summer. So, I do the western windows and the bedroom windows.

I love plain white. So I go for faux wooden blinds in white on all the bedroom windows and a plain white curtain. Our living room windows have mountain views so I may get white cellular shades instead, as they have a lower profile when open. They'll only be closed on hot summer days.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

These are the temporary shades in case anyone is in a pinch. I put them up myself pretty quickly and they look surprisingly nice for the price. They have stayed up for years, except in the bathrooms. In the bathrooms, steam from the shower made them start to fall down after about a year. These are also good if you have cats that tend to ruin window treatments. Cheap to replace.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Redi-Sha...1090/202674905
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #3
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Sweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond repute

The temporary shades look way nicer than I would have expected!

FWIW this place has neighbors close by, so we can't get away without coverings - at least on the main level - for very long.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I like curtains. We’ve done all our curtains, mostly from Ikea, but we also got a set at J.C. Penney and one at Target and a set used. I also have pull down shades fromIkea in the kitchen.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Sweet Life (02-17-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #5
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I like an open window or a closed window. The house we're leaving has 33 windows. None were covered when we bought.

We put up 33 curtain rods. Whole house matches. Then did curtains on every window where people can see in. 6 windows didn't need to be covered. Still don't have curtains.

I HATE blinds.

Our new house has 19 windows. All 19 have brown, wooden blinds. Tears. Lol.

Consider Those cellular shades that open from top and bottom. Get expensive ones. The cheap ones are junk.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-14-2018), Sweet Life (02-17-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Ideally I like layered window coverings. We have white faux wood blinds on all of the windows, except the bathrooms because they have privacy glass. Most windows have curtain panels. They are really only used for decor as side panels so sometimes they are offset to not obstruct the light coming in from the window and gives the illusion of the window being larger. I like the look on the exterior being coordinated so I added a white lining to almost all of my windows if they weren't already white (many of my panels are white) or didn't come with a white backing. I need to add fabric to my kitchen windows to help soften the look because I might have a little too much white going on in that room. My bedroom would be the only other room in the house without curtains.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Sweet Life (02-17-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
Consider Those cellular shades that open from top and bottom. Get expensive ones. The cheap ones are junk.
I see those and I cannot imagine a situation where I'd want to open the top only. When do you use that feature?
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Sweet Life (02-17-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

We have cellular shades that are light filtering in every window except the living room. They match throughout the house. We have one light blocking cellular shade in one bedroom because of a bright yard light right outside the window. I have curtains with sheers behind in the living room for privacy. Some windows only have a valance that covers the blind when it is open. Most others have panel curtains. I would definitely address the bedrooms first and then other areas where you need privacy second.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Sweet Life (02-17-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #9
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I see those and I cannot imagine a situation where I'd want to open the top only. When do you use that feature?
When I want the sunlight coming in to my room but I don't want people to be able to see me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Sweet Life (02-17-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #10
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Love the ideas. Too late to ask for pictures? I know this is a public forum but I'm so stinkin' visual.

In our (current) home, my favorite window treatments are the cellular blinds (but they only come down from the top) and long white Ikea curtains framing it. I could honestly see doing that through the whole house which sounds similar to what some of us are suggesting.

I do like blinds because they help insulate in winter and cool in summer; as long as they are low profile they are ok in their look, I guess. I like the idea to focus on bedrooms first; makes a lot of sense.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #11
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

We addressed bedrooms first. We bought these for our upstairs master & it works now that it's a school room. We just bought the same blinds for our LR & similar one's for our kitchen/dining area.

For our current master (we converted garage), we have black out curtains. We'll probably get blinds in there at some point but not right now. We currently have no other curtains up but mainly because we're still working on the house.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
Sweet Life (02-17-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #12
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I have thick, black out curtains. I think it's enough for insulation as I notice a huge difference in temp when I open n our windows are new ish too.

I imagine you're getting a window upgrade from old house to new?
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #13
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
I have thick, black out curtains. I think it's enough for insulation as I notice a huge difference in temp when I open n our windows are new ish too.

I imagine you're getting a window upgrade from old house to new?
Same. Both have vinyl windows put installed within last 10-15 years.